Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: Michigan Mega Millions

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Think.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Should Michigan leave the Mega Millions game?

Yes [ 4 ]  [22.22%]
No, they should be kicked out! [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
No [ 14 ]  [77.78%]
Total Valid Votes [ 18 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Think's avatar - lightbulb
Marquette, MI
United States
Member #20541
August 20, 2005
705 Posts
Posted: January 9, 2008, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

With the in-state Michigan game rolling over for more than 6 months and not even reaching $20,000,000 ,  too much money is leaving Michigan through the multi-state game.

Before Michigan got into the Mega Millions game it would take less than 10 draws to get the 6/xx Michigan games up to 20 Million.

Since the Big Game/Mega Millions started, it has doubled the number of states that participate and skyrocketed the odds.  Yes, the jackpots are bigger and they grow faster but with so many states participating it is getting less and less likely to win.

Michigan should just pull out and keep their games all in state. 

"The American Voter is too Stupid..."   Jonathan Gruber Obamacare Architect

"There is no sin except stupidity" Oscar Wilde

https://books.google.com/books?id=apm21IcqhmcC&pg=PP6&lpg=PP6&dq=americans+can+tolerate+just+about+anything+except+stupidity&source=bl&ots=tq9QUeP46j&sig=qXfXEz-wh_yUQSsE8DZG0ZjABls&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil8YSjmuDPAhWF7IMKHV11A0kQ6AEIUzAI#v=onepage&q=americans%20can%20tolerate%20just%20about%20anything%20except%20stupidity&f=false

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: January 9, 2008, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

How would having more states playing decrease the odds of winning?  The matrix is what counts in a jackpot.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
      Member #4121
      March 23, 2004
      817 Posts
      Posted: January 9, 2008, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

I vote no.  Everyone should get a chance to hit the mega!

wyoming, michigan
        United States
        Member #53058
        June 22, 2007
        637 Posts
        Posted: January 9, 2008, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

I voted no, i still play the msl 6/49 had 5 easy picks for the drawing tonight.  Also had 5 for the mm last night and 7 for the pb tonight.  Easy to do when you are a truck driver for a living.  God bless and good luck.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
          Marquette, MI
          United States
          Member #20541
          August 20, 2005
          705 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2008, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

How would having more states playing decrease the odds of winning?  The matrix is what counts in a jackpot.

Generally, not always, when more states are added the odds are changed to make it harder.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2008, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

Michigan probably joined the MegaMillions game for the same reasons Ohio did.  Ohio had a local game that paid big jackpots before PowerBall and Biggame came on the scene.  After seeing Ohio players driving out of state to play them, Ohio decided to join MegaMillions to keep its players home.

Before Ohio joined MegaMillions I use to drive up RT23 to Michigan to the first truck stop to stand in line for BigGame tickets or drive to Decatur, Indiana to do the same for PowerBall tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2008, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

I voted no, i still play the msl 6/49 had 5 easy picks for the drawing tonight.  Also had 5 for the mm last night and 7 for the pb tonight.  Easy to do when you are a truck driver for a living.  God bless and good luck.

Ahem, it's 6/47 now in Michigan, hence the name Lotto47.

(insert signature here)

benmas's avatar - waveform
                Rhode Island
                United States
                Member #56010
                October 28, 2007
                434 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2008, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

With the in-state Michigan game rolling over for more than 6 months and not even reaching $20,000,000 ,  too much money is leaving Michigan through the multi-state game.

Before Michigan got into the Mega Millions game it would take less than 10 draws to get the 6/xx Michigan games up to 20 Million.

Since the Big Game/Mega Millions started, it has doubled the number of states that participate and skyrocketed the odds.  Yes, the jackpots are bigger and they grow faster but with so many states participating it is getting less and less likely to win.

Michigan should just pull out and keep their games all in state. 

I think there is some truth to what you are saying...Most people have a certain amount to play...If they see another game with big jackpots they will play that ..and probably still play the other games but with less money that is left from what they typically spend because some of that whent to Mega...Maybe that is a minor part of the reason why state games are going longer without hits...but i dont think it makes that big of difference... As far as you saying it's getting less likely to win ..i would disagree because the odds are the same for everyone..it is a very difficult game to win 1st prize thats why it has not happened ...I think the state benefits from the sale of Mega Millions tickets (jackpot won or not)  they must have a % that goes to state and the other to Multi state game lottery so my answer is ...The state is doing it becasue it benefits the state ...They have studied it and made the decision so i dont see it that Michigan would pull out anytime soon.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3471 Posts
                  Posted: January 12, 2008, 12:55 am - IP Logged

What exactly is your complaint? It what you say is correct it seems pretty clear that  most of the players would prefer to keep MM, and I'm sure the lottery people have a pretty good idea of what brings the most money to Michigan. What makes you think "too much money" is leaving Michigan because of MM?

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
                    Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #416
                    June 23, 2002
                    1614 Posts
                    Posted: January 12, 2008, 1:09 am - IP Logged

This has happened with every state that has joined Mega Millions.  Their in-state game always suffers.  If you can find one that didn't suffer then that would be amazing.  California seems to be an exception.  Their in-state game still has pretty high jackpots in a short amount of time.  All other small states games don't grow like they used to including Ohio, Illinois, and so forth.

Brad

benmas's avatar - waveform
                      Rhode Island
                      United States
                      Member #56010
                      October 28, 2007
                      434 Posts
                      Posted: January 12, 2008, 3:43 am - IP Logged

This has happened with every state that has joined Mega Millions.  Their in-state game always suffers.  If you can find one that didn't suffer then that would be amazing.  California seems to be an exception.  Their in-state game still has pretty high jackpots in a short amount of time.  All other small states games don't grow like they used to including Ohio, Illinois, and so forth.

Brad

Good observation ....Florida was right not to join Powerball or Mega because they thought it would hurt their in state games...At least someone made the right decision...

DC81's avatar - batman39
                        MI
                        United States
                        Member #54830
                        August 31, 2007
                        985 Posts
                        Posted: January 12, 2008, 5:22 am - IP Logged

Probably doesn't hurt being the state with the highest population, by far. 

You can't predict random.

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3471 Posts
                          Posted: January 14, 2008, 2:30 am - IP Logged

Good observation ....Florida was right not to join Powerball or Mega because they thought it would hurt their in state games...At least someone made the right decision...

Sure it would reduce sales of the in-state games. How does that make it the right decision? They certainly didn't increase ticket sales by not adding  a multi-state game with high jackpots, and their job is to sell tickets and turn a profit.  It's not part of their job, but by not adding a multi-state game they've limited the chances for FL residients to win those large jackpots, too.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #56506
                            November 21, 2007
                            6537 Posts
                            Posted: January 14, 2008, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

I don't live in Michigan nor do I play Mega Millions so it really doesn't effect me, but I'm sure a lot of people in Michigan would be unhappy to lose Mega Millions so I voted no.

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                              Republic of Texas
                              United States
                              Member #57557
                              January 9, 2008
                              1095 Posts
                              Posted: January 15, 2008, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

I don't think I'd want to give it up.  There is no way the Lotto47 would be able to compensate. I play Lotto47 when it gets $12m, and Fantasy5 at $200k. I try to play MM both draws each week. I don't play any others except for scratchoffs though. Even if MM was gone, I still wouldn't play until those levels.