Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Improvements to Lottery Post made this morning

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 9 years ago by chasingadream.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
sfilippo's avatar - skull
Oklahoma
United States
Member #33770
February 24, 2006
3146 Posts
Posted: January 19, 2008, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, Todd!!!

Smiley Steve

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #22395
    September 24, 2005
    1583 Posts
    Posted: January 19, 2008, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

Todd, you have done a lot of work!  Thanks.

One thing bothers me, you mention, again, that IE7 works on Win98.  Could you please tell me where you found that information?  Here is a link from MS listing system requirements for IE7:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/sysreq.mspx

And from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer

QUOTE: Internet Explorer 7 is available only for Windows XP SP2 and later, including Windows Server 2003 SP1 and Windows Vista. Sometime in October 2006...

konane's avatar - wallace
      Atlanta, GA
      United States
      Member #1265
      March 13, 2003
      3333 Posts
      Posted: January 19, 2008, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

Thank you very much for your hard work and continued improvements!!! Blue Angel

Good luck to everyone!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23262 Posts
        Posted: January 19, 2008, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

Todd, you have done a lot of work!  Thanks.

One thing bothers me, you mention, again, that IE7 works on Win98.  Could you please tell me where you found that information?  Here is a link from MS listing system requirements for IE7:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/sysreq.mspx

And from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer

QUOTE: Internet Explorer 7 is available only for Windows XP SP2 and later, including Windows Server 2003 SP1 and Windows Vista. Sometime in October 2006...

I have a virtual Windows 98 machine running IE5.5, which I use for testing.  It tried to upgrade me to IE7, but I wouldn't let it.  I assume that means Window 98 thinks it's compatible.  Maybe that's a bad assumption, I don't know.  Frankly, I'm not sure how anyone can run that operating system anymore, much less IE5.5.  It's hell every time I have to test something.  But, the trooper I am, I do my best to make the site as friendly as it can be in that ancient operating system/browser.  I'm surprised none of the Windows 98 users have even made a peep about it.  It wasn't the easiest thing in the world to do.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23262 Posts
          Posted: January 19, 2008, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

Is the addition of quantserv (quantcast) part of the update?

No, it's not.  The Quantcast code has been there for many months.  I guess you enjoy digging around in the code.  Find anything else interesting?

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #22395
            September 24, 2005
            1583 Posts
            Posted: January 20, 2008, 12:31 am - IP Logged

I have a virtual Windows 98 machine running IE5.5, which I use for testing.  It tried to upgrade me to IE7, but I wouldn't let it.  I assume that means Window 98 thinks it's compatible.  Maybe that's a bad assumption, I don't know.  Frankly, I'm not sure how anyone can run that operating system anymore, much less IE5.5.  It's hell every time I have to test something.  But, the trooper I am, I do my best to make the site as friendly as it can be in that ancient operating system/browser.  I'm surprised none of the Windows 98 users have even made a peep about it.  It wasn't the easiest thing in the world to do.

From someone that hasn't thrown out Win98 yet, I am very happy every time I see Lottery Post open up.  Glad you are smart enough to keep it going.

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49725 Posts
              Posted: January 20, 2008, 9:01 am - IP Logged

No, it's not.  The Quantcast code has been there for many months.  I guess you enjoy digging around in the code.  Find anything else interesting?

When a LP page is loading and everything seems to stop: and the browser status bar shows edge.quantserv.com..., then one has to wonder whats up with that.

Surfing to www.quantserv.com gives a redirect to www.quantcast.com:

Quantcast is the only open internet ratings service. We provide advertisers with audience profiles for millions of websites and services. We invite publishers to participate and demonstrate the unique value of their audiences. The service is free to everyone.

Their was no digging arround in the LP Code: It all started with the Browser Status Bar.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

sysp34's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                Heroic City
                Indonesia
                Member #31689
                February 2, 2006
                1153 Posts
                Posted: January 20, 2008, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

well excellent improvement Todd

i just post this thread using Klamath machine with Win98 using a dialup :(( mm after awhile using a friend dsl i never thought the dialup is a nightmares

well indeed the ie 5.5 will updated for ie 7 unfortunately when landed on the site we can't upgrade ie 5.5 to 7. and for win98 fans there are genius reverse engineering group somewhere who consistency updating the ie and etc to the lastest technology.

well two thumb up for creating multiplatform website Chief.

Et erunt signa in sole.......Et luna et stellis.......Et presura gentium
                Prae confusione sonitus maris.

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23262 Posts
                  Posted: January 20, 2008, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

When a LP page is loading and everything seems to stop: and the browser status bar shows edge.quantserv.com..., then one has to wonder whats up with that.

Surfing to www.quantserv.com gives a redirect to www.quantcast.com:

Quantcast is the only open internet ratings service. We provide advertisers with audience profiles for millions of websites and services. We invite publishers to participate and demonstrate the unique value of their audiences. The service is free to everyone.

Their was no digging arround in the LP Code: It all started with the Browser Status Bar.

I don't know what's up with that.

In every web browser I've tested, including IE5.5, IE6, IE7, Safari, Firefox, and Opera, that does not happen, nor does anything even remotely like it happen.  I have also tested that it works fine in Netscape, although I don't certify for Netscape anymore, since it has been discontinued by AOL.

I also test in all the major operating systems, including Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Mac OS/X.

I did all of this before releasing the product.  Since none of these testing combinations has ever once stopped on a QuantCast-related issue, I would suspect that something is up with your PC.

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23262 Posts
                    Posted: January 20, 2008, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

well excellent improvement Todd

i just post this thread using Klamath machine with Win98 using a dialup :(( mm after awhile using a friend dsl i never thought the dialup is a nightmares

well indeed the ie 5.5 will updated for ie 7 unfortunately when landed on the site we can't upgrade ie 5.5 to 7. and for win98 fans there are genius reverse engineering group somewhere who consistency updating the ie and etc to the lastest technology.

well two thumb up for creating multiplatform website Chief.

Dial-up is no fun!  Go cable or DSL, and you'll never go back.

Sorry to hear about the inability to upgrade to IE7.  Can you upgrade your PC to Windows XP?  Microsoft still sells it, so maybe you can pick up a cheap copy online or something.

LiLSpeedy's avatar - 2714
                      Decatur, GA
                      United States
                      Member #20471
                      August 18, 2005
                      2668 Posts
                      Posted: January 20, 2008, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

In this post I'll describe changes that were made to Lottery Post this morning, as part of a huge web site update.  It is the culmination of about a month of programming I have been doing since the last big release, on Dec. 11, 2007.

(As always when a big upgrade is installed, the first thing I recommend doing is clearing your browser's cache, to remove all old script and style files from your web browser. If you use more than one browser, the cache should be cleared on each one, since different browsers use separate caches.)

The upgrades that were implemented today include the following:

IMPROVED: Vast usability improvements for users of Safari and Opera, including the new Safari 3.0 web browser.  If you are a user of one of those browsers you will notice perfect main menu bar appearance and functionality and better popup menus, and the pages overall should give you nearly the same experience as a IE7/Firefox user. If you use Safari or Opera, always upgrade to the latest release, which are currently Safari 3.0.4 and Opera 9.25. (See note below about Opera and Safari, and supported web browsers.) And again, clear your browser cache to enable all the latest compatibility changes to Lottery Post on those browsers.

IMPROVED: Appearance of Lottery Post on the IE 5.0/5.5 web browsers, even though they are NOT currently supported. The fonts now appear the same (in most pages) as they do in IE7. However, this does not change the fact that major functionality is missing in IE 5.5 (and lower) due to the fact that it cannot handle the AJAX technologies that modern web browsers can. Lottery Post STRONGLY URGES IE 5.0/5.5 users to upgrade to IE7 (a free upgrade from Microsoft). According to Microsoft, IE7 is compatible with Windows 98 and Windows ME, so you should not hold off upgrading over a concern of compatibility, even if you use an antiquated, outdated operating system like 98 or ME.

NEW: Event Calendar. Maintains a calendar of important events in the lottery industry worldwide. Use the Event Calendar to see upcoming game changes and additions, special drawings and events, personnel changes, and Lottery Post events. Online help is provided on the page to assist with navigation between months and other features.

NEW: Suggest / Correct Event forms. Use these forms to send suggested additions and corrections for the Event Calendar. Government lotteries are encouraged to send us your upcoming major events for inclusion on our Event Calendar. Access these forms by clicking the links at the bottom of the Event Calendar, or you can also access them by clicking Contact Us and navigating to Suggestions.

IMPROVED: Greatly reduced the size of Lottery Post cookie file, which reduces the volume of network traffic to and from any given PC. This will produce the benefit of faster page loads, as well as faster in-page AJAX calls. The cookie file is sent back & forth to Lottery Post each and every time data is requested — even for each image file. (This is the way all sites work, not just Lottery Post.) Thus, the cookie size has a definite impact on page load times.

FIXED: Main menu bar now renders perfectly in alternative web browsers, such as Safari and Opera. Previously, the menu tended to move all over the place in those browsers, and had other strange behavior.

FIXED: Main menu bar no longer shifts a few pixels to the right in browsers such as Firefox and Safari, eliminating the horizontal scroll bar that would be generated as a result at the bottom of the page.

IMPROVED: IE7 now shows the top-level menus and popup menus with the same partial transparency and fade features that are visible under IE6. Transparency effects may be added to other browser platforms in the future.

IMPROVED: Updated emoticons page (for editor) to streamline code with better techniques and faster performance.

IMPROVED: Greatly enhanced PNG graphics support on IE 5/6, which is utilized to a small degree in some pages now, but will really open new graphical abilities for future features.

IMPROVED: Faster data handling/manipulation on the web server for key workhorse pages such as thread pages, lottery results, and jackpot listings. Translates into faster page generation times, and ability to handle larger volumes of traffic.

NEW: Added animation of DHTML popup windows (for example, the popup window that displays ratings, or the popup window that displays calendar event detail when a date is clicked.) Animation shows clearly which item on the page was acted on, or is generating the window.

NEW: Event Calendar RSS feed, for subscribing to new events as they are posted on the calendar. (Use with web browsers that directly support RSS, such as IE7, Firefox 2, Safari 3, and Opera 9, or with dedicated RSS feed reader.)

FIXED: The left navigation area is now consistent across all pages. Previously, several pages used an old version of the navigation.

NEW: Added "Event Calendar" to the left navigation area and to the Resources menu. Moved "Delete cookies set by Lottery Post" from the Resources menu to the Options menu.

NEW: Added calendar popup control to any input spaces on the Contact Us form that are used to enter a date.

NEW: Added new Contact Us topics, including a Suggestions topic on the first page that provides quick access to any type of suggestion.

IMPROVED: Numerous other visual improvements, usability improvements, performance improvements, and bug fixes. Overall, the site is much faster and more stable across a wide variety of web browsers.

NOTES:

Opera is emerging as a very good alternative web browser to use with Lottery Post, thanks to big improvements in their latest browser release, 9.25. Lottery Post may soon add Opera to its list of supported web browsers, after more thorough testing has been completed. Going forward, Lottery Post will test all new pages and features to ensure compatibility with the latest version of Opera.

Following the addition of Opera as a supported web browser, the list of officially-supported web browsers at Lottery Post will be:

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 (IE7)
                      • Firefox 2.x
                      • Safari 3.0.4+
                      • Opera 9.25+

Since Safari 3 is being targeted by Apple as a standard across all of its new products, Lottery Post has raised its level of compatibility with Safari 3, and will test all new pages and features in that browser. Safari is available on both Mac and Windows. As it stands right now, Lottery Post is very stable on the Safari 3 browser platform.

Mission accomplished. Job well done!

Winning is Funtastic!

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
                        Member #38687
                        May 3, 2006
                        315 Posts
                        Posted: January 20, 2008, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

thx Todd

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot