Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Thinking About a Change in Strategy (PowerBall)

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 9 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
Member #50124
February 26, 2007
601 Posts
Posted: January 21, 2008, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

As some of you may have noticed, I've always been an avid proponent of buying the PowerPlay on every ticket.  The reason being, it's more likely I'll match 5+0 than 5+1, and the 5+0 payoff of $200K after taxes wouldn't be life-changing.  However, with the PowerPlay, even the 2 multiplier payoff of $400K would be life-changing.  Therefore, I've thought it was worth it to spring for the extra buck on each line.

Now I've been thinking.  Dangerous, I know.  Since I am limited to the $$$ I can play, wouldn't it be more advantageous to spend the same $$$ to buy two tickets without the PowerPlay.  One with my regular numbers, and one with my 5 white ball regular numbers but the red ball a different number.  That way, I'm still guaranteed $400K should I hit 5+0 (but with no chance at a higher amount if the multiplier is higher) and I also have another shot at the Big Kahuna with that different red ball number.

Same with QP's.  If I decide to buy one for a certain draw, buy one QP without the PowerPlay, then make a play slip copying the first 5 numbers, and either choose a different red ball or let the machine choose and hope it's different than the first. 

Ideas?  Comments?   Suggestions?

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5587 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2008, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

That is what I think. No powerplay more tickies, more chances, the Powerplay typically hits 3,4,5, I think it is an enticer, to me it doesn't become significant until 4 plus the powerball which is 1:584,431!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2008, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

I don't know. The odds of even hitting 5 + 0 on Powerball are huge and if I were to buy two tickets I would want two sets of numbers that are different. However, it's not a horrible idea. At least it would give you another chance at the same numbers with a different Powerball number.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        51284 Posts
        Posted: January 21, 2008, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

It might be a good idea to review how often the Power Play Multiplier=2:

Dec 19, 2007 Wed, Power Play: 3
        Dec 22, 2007 Sat, Power Play: 4
        Dec 26, 2007 Wed, Power Play: 3
        Dec 29, 2007 Sat, Power Play: 4
        Jan 02, 2008 Wed, Power Play: 4
        Jan 05, 2008 Sat, Power Play: 4
        Jan 09, 2008 Wed, Power Play: 3
        Jan 12, 2008 Sat, Power Play: 3
        Jan 16, 2008 Wed, Power Play: 5
        Jan 19, 2008 Sat, Power Play: 5

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
          Harbinger
          D.C./MD.
          United States
          Member #44103
          July 30, 2006
          5587 Posts
          Posted: January 21, 2008, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

Exactly, you better be sure you are going to hit, cause that multiplier = 0 if you don't hit. Shame you can't bet on the multiplier!

Crazy

konane's avatar - wallace
            Atlanta, GA
            United States
            Member #1265
            March 13, 2003
            3351 Posts
            Posted: January 21, 2008, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

As some of you may have noticed, I've always been an avid proponent of buying the PowerPlay on every ticket.  The reason being, it's more likely I'll match 5+0 than 5+1, and the 5+0 payoff of $200K after taxes wouldn't be life-changing.  However, with the PowerPlay, even the 2 multiplier payoff of $400K would be life-changing.  Therefore, I've thought it was worth it to spring for the extra buck on each line.

Now I've been thinking.  Dangerous, I know.  Since I am limited to the $$$ I can play, wouldn't it be more advantageous to spend the same $$$ to buy two tickets without the PowerPlay.  One with my regular numbers, and one with my 5 white ball regular numbers but the red ball a different number.  That way, I'm still guaranteed $400K should I hit 5+0 (but with no chance at a higher amount if the multiplier is higher) and I also have another shot at the Big Kahuna with that different red ball number.

Same with QP's.  If I decide to buy one for a certain draw, buy one QP without the PowerPlay, then make a play slip copying the first 5 numbers, and either choose a different red ball or let the machine choose and hope it's different than the first. 

Ideas?  Comments?   Suggestions?

Who says you're only going to win once?  It makes more sense to me to not pay for the powerplay and play more tickets giving yourself a better chance of winning the first time.  With that win money in hand you have a bigger kitty to play more, and since you can win as many times as you match the jackpot numbers, yes you can win again if you believe its possible.  Big Grin  Good luck!

Good luck to everyone!

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
              Member #50124
              February 26, 2007
              601 Posts
              Posted: January 21, 2008, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

Who says you're only going to win once?  It makes more sense to me to not pay for the powerplay and play more tickets giving yourself a better chance of winning the first time.  With that win money in hand you have a bigger kitty to play more, and since you can win as many times as you match the jackpot numbers, yes you can win again if you believe its possible.  Big Grin  Good luck!

Now that's what I call optimism!  LOL

Unfortunately, I can't convince myself I can win twice.  I mean I've been playing regularly since 1993 and my biggest win so far is $100!

So I'm convinced I have to optimize any win I do finally get.

Hey, optimize and optimism.  Are those words related? 

@raven62 - Yeah, the 2X hasn't been coming up much lately has it.  Hmmm .... 

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                51284 Posts
                Posted: January 21, 2008, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

Now that's what I call optimism!  LOL

Unfortunately, I can't convince myself I can win twice.  I mean I've been playing regularly since 1993 and my biggest win so far is $100!

So I'm convinced I have to optimize any win I do finally get.

Hey, optimize and optimism.  Are those words related? 

@raven62 - Yeah, the 2X hasn't been coming up much lately has it.  Hmmm .... 

Optimize: Make the best use of or take best advantage

Optimum: Best, highest possible or most favorable point or level

Optimal: Most desirable or favorable

Opt: To make a choice; choose or elect

Optimism: The tendency to take the most hopeful or cheerful view of matters

Seems like! Wink

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                  Member #28409
                  December 15, 2005
                  1198 Posts
                  Posted: January 22, 2008, 8:21 am - IP Logged

Sounds like you have the idea, luckylilly. 

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
                    N.C.
                    United States
                    Member #56005
                    October 28, 2007
                    877 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2008, 9:09 am - IP Logged

funny this topic should come up. the guys in my lottery pool were just discussing this very same topic.

like you, we all have a budget to play on.

it was suggested that, when the jackpot is low, and we are expecting a high powerplay to come in, we should just play a smaller wheel and use the powerplay option.

this would alow us to save our money for when the pot was larger, if we saw something in our history charts, or just when we had an absolute deep down gut feeling hunch about a serious of numbers! Then we could drop the powerplay option and go for broke!

now I'm not saying thats what you should do, or anyone else. just letting you know what I do.

remember if you have a hunch don't ignore it.

just my two cents...

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2008, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I think if you are spending this much time wondering if you should play the multiplier (or not), it's taking time away from concentrating on more important things, like picking numbers.

More tickets = more chances - it's as simple as that.

I'd rather win 200K than go for 400K+ and win nothing.

Over the years, I've learned that you are either going to win it, or not, and that counting chickens before they have hatched serves no useful purpose.

Just pick numbers, play games, and let the results take care of themselves. 

Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: January 29, 2008, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I think if you are spending this much time wondering if you should play the multiplier (or not), it's taking time away from concentrating on more important things, like picking numbers.

More tickets = more chances - it's as simple as that.

I'd rather win 200K than go for 400K+ and win nothing.

Over the years, I've learned that you are either going to win it, or not, and that counting chickens before they have hatched serves no useful purpose.

Just pick numbers, play games, and let the results take care of themselves. 

I agree with you that more tickets = more chances

However, how does trying to come up with a new strategy take away time away from picking numbers? At most it takes me 15 minutes to figure out the numbers I play. It might or might not take others longer, but I doubt that anybody loses a chance to pick numbers just because they are thinking of new ways to play Powerball. That really doesn't make sense.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: January 31, 2008, 2:38 am - IP Logged

I agree with you that more tickets = more chances

However, how does trying to come up with a new strategy take away time away from picking numbers? At most it takes me 15 minutes to figure out the numbers I play. It might or might not take others longer, but I doubt that anybody loses a chance to pick numbers just because they are thinking of new ways to play Powerball. That really doesn't make sense.

You missed my point.

Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #56506
                            November 21, 2007
                            6537 Posts
                            Posted: January 31, 2008, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

You missed my point.

Oh well, I guess I did.

United States
                              Member #9579
                              December 12, 2004
                              2121 Posts
                              Posted: January 31, 2008, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

i think someone should do some research on the winners 5-0,every drawing,to see how they pick winners,not how the losers pick winners,we seem to be getting nowhere fast.i doubt if they do quickpicks,as then you are at the mercy of the lottery,which is slow pickings!