Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Kanu Heart Foundation Lottery

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Topeka
United States
Member #57949
January 24, 2008
1 Posts
Posted: January 24, 2008, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

My husband received an e-mail stating he had won part of the 40m lottery.  They say that they have to honor the winnings eventhough we didn't enter in any such thing.  We have two weeks to contact their representative from Nigeria.

I think it is a hoax, can anyone advise?

Thank you

Doelke 

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: January 24, 2008, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

My husband received an e-mail stating he had won part of the 40m lottery.  They say that they have to honor the winnings eventhough we didn't enter in any such thing.  We have two weeks to contact their representative from Nigeria.

Thank you

Doelke 

I once humbled myself to find he truth and realized this was really a scam, and with embarrasing moments to boot. I'm just the gullible type who thinks that this trait might lead me down a road no one would ever take.

Don't laugh. it's just as likely as winning the astronomical odds of the plain ol lotto.

Nigeria in itself is a Red Flag.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3112 Posts
      Posted: January 25, 2008, 2:43 am - IP Logged

Thank you

Doelke 

These are always a scam.  Some even send you the check and ask for the taxes, the bank clears it then bounces it after you send the taxes.  There are no lottery games paying prizes to people who don't pay, though there are some lottery ticket selling services connected with con artists who will sell you a ticket then tell the scammers to send you the fake winning notice.  If you didn't pay you didn't win and sometimes you didn't even when you did pay.

Same creeps also buy stuff on ebay, send a check for more then the amount, ask for the difference back then the check bounces and you shipped the goods already. 

If it sounds like the answer to all your problems, they haven't begun yet if you reply.  BobP

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: January 25, 2008, 3:00 am - IP Logged

If you didn't enter a contest, you can't possible win it.  Also, no lottery contacts you directly.  It is always up to the player to buy the ticket and then look up the winning numbers.  (as far as I know)  I've never heard of any lottery where the state or country calls the player.

Even if you think a contest of some kind is legitimate, and the Nigerian ones are scams, you still need to be careful.  Never furnish anyone with your personal information like your social security number and date of birth or send money.  A real lottery will never ask you for money. They always deduct the taxes, if any, that are due.  Anyway, if I really believed I won $40 million, I would want to hop on a plane and pickup my check in person!  I think the FBI site has a list of things to watch out for, but you can always google the words and read about the numerous lottery scams.  The Kanu Heart Foundation is a real organization, but these criminals are using its good name to attract people to sound more legitimate.  They don't have $40 million to give away anyway.  That would be like St Jude's Hospital or the Red Cross offering $100 million prizes to people.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
          Harbinger
          D.C./MD.
          United States
          Member #44103
          July 30, 2006
          5587 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2008, 8:14 am - IP Logged

Rip off. Kanyou say, no way.

Turkey

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7343 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2008, 9:38 am - IP Logged

Thank you

Doelke 

On January 3, Mr. David White from the West Africa office of the FEDEX COURIER DELIVERTY SERVICE LTD. said he had a bank draft in the amount of $800,000 addressed to my Yahoo email account. To get the money, I had to contact Mike Aderson with a hotmail address so I could send him $150 to insure it wasn't being used for drugs or a terrorist attack.

On January 14, Mrs. Dorothy Williamson said my Yahoo email address was drawn in the LUCKY DROP SWEEPSTAKES PROGRAM in Holland and I won $400,000 and this promotion was sponsored by the Sultan of Brunei and Bill Gates. To get my winnings I have to contact Barrister Azeem Mohammad from Jakarta, Indonesia using his hotmail address.

On January 18, Neji Yunisa wanted to deposit $7,500,000 from a dormant account at the NatWest Bank PLC, United Kingdom into my bank account. I have to contact him at his yahoo address.

And believe it or not, on the same day John Savage informed me I won another $300,000 in the My Yahoo Lottery.

Won a million Euros on January 20. L480,152 pounds sterling on January 23, and I just found out this morning I hit the Honda Lottery for L400,000 pounds. This must be my lucky year!

Or a group of Nigerians in an internet cafe are sharing Yahoo email addresses. These are not just hoaxes; they are scams to get you to send them between $150 and $500. The worst scams I read about involve sending people checks to their home addresses. You're told the check is to pay processing fees, you cash that check, send them money and then their check bounces like a beach ball.