Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 2:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Florida Jackpot Plus

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 9 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
Dump Water Florida
United States
Member #380
June 5, 2002
3112 Posts
Posted: February 2, 2008, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

I'm likely a day late and always a dollar short, but today I noticed the flyer for the new Florida 6/53 Jackpot Plus offer.  This feature lets you add one or two dollars to your Play or QP to increase the prize by $10 million for a dollar or $25 million for two dollars.

Frankly I don't see how this can pay for the amounts offered  (what's the odds of the winner having paid the extra?), but welcome the decision in light of some other games raising the cost of a ticket to $2.00

I'd be happy to win the regular jackpot even if I have to share it.  Paying an additional  one or two dollars certainly increases the per dollar odds. Florida should have gone to .50 tickets when they went up from 6/49 to 6/53 IMO. 

BobP

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: February 2, 2008, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

It'd be nice if Floriduh would copy N.Y. Two plays for a dollar.

Thanx for telling us. I haven't heard about this until now.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
      Member #50124
      February 26, 2007
      601 Posts
      Posted: February 2, 2008, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Another discussion in the Jackpot Games forum.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/169566

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: February 2, 2008, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

It's a rip-off as far as I am concerned.  I wouldn't spend an extra dollar for a game with 1 in 23M odds.  That would mean I'd be losing twice as much every week!  The only time I'd want the extra $10M anyway is if I won the lowest jackpot which is $3M and then had to split it.  However, rarely does anyone split the Lotto jackpot at those levels anyway.  I talk to regular players all the time and rarely do I meet anyone who has even won 5/6. 

BTW, I really like your idea about the 50 cent tickets or 2 for a buck. 

Does anyone here think they are doing this to appeal to the tourists and snowbirds who drop a lot of money on hotels and restaurants?  I was in 7-11 the other night and someone in a Tommy Bahama type shirt asked for 10 of the $20 scratch-offs. The clerk said they didn't have any, so he bought $10 scratch-offs and then $20 in quick picks for Lotto.  When I was walking to my car, I noticed he had a Missouri license plate. I'm not saying the local residents don't spend money, but I think someone is more likely to blow $100 bucks when he's on vacation.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23348 Posts
          Posted: February 2, 2008, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
            Wisconsin
            United States
            Member #1303
            March 27, 2003
            1508 Posts
            Posted: February 2, 2008, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

I'm likely a day late and always a dollar short, but today I noticed the flyer for the new Florida 6/53 Jackpot Plus offer.  This feature lets you add one or two dollars to your Play or QP to increase the prize by $10 million for a dollar or $25 million for two dollars.

Frankly I don't see how this can pay for the amounts offered  (what's the odds of the winner having paid the extra?), but welcome the decision in light of some other games raising the cost of a ticket to $2.00

I'd be happy to win the regular jackpot even if I have to share it.  Paying an additional  one or two dollars certainly increases the per dollar odds. Florida should have gone to .50 tickets when they went up from 6/49 to 6/53 IMO. 

BobP

I agree with your reasoning. I think they found out how lucrative the Power Play Option is for Powerball and are following suit.  Whenever I buy a Powerball ticket, I never take the Powerplay Option.  For the extra buck it costs, I would feel better off spending that buck on another Powerball ticket. 

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: February 2, 2008, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

I agree with your reasoning. I think they found out how lucrative the Power Play Option is for Powerball and are following suit.  Whenever I buy a Powerball ticket, I never take the Powerplay Option.  For the extra buck it costs, I would feel better off spending that buck on another Powerball ticket. 

I thought when I read your comment "what if" you DID get 5 numbers in PB and didn't take the Powerplay option and could have won $800,000 instead of $200,000? I believe many people who buy PB tickets feel that way.  I'm actually happy we don't have PB or MM in Florida. 

Badger, I call it the "what if" syndrome.   Maybe most people aren't as neurotic as I am, but that's what keeps me running to buy tickets, even though some nights I want to skip.  I know people always say the odds of not playing your regular numbers and then being drawn are too slim to worry about, but it happened to me (Fantasy5) and I get depressed once in a while thinking about that night.  So, although the lottery says they try not to rope people in, they do everything they can to make sure we keep spending more and playing more.  

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                Marquette, MI
                United States
                Member #20541
                August 20, 2005
                709 Posts
                Posted: February 2, 2008, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

justxploring Says

"I'm actually happy we don't have PB or MM in Florida."

You are obviously right not to want to have the PB or MM  games as evidenced many times over in other states.

Michigan 6/47  217 days and the jackpot just hit $20,000,000.

I hope Michigan does a double jackpot game and not a jackpot plus game.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                  Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #1303
                  March 27, 2003
                  1508 Posts
                  Posted: February 2, 2008, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

I thought when I read your comment "what if" you DID get 5 numbers in PB and didn't take the Powerplay option and could have won $800,000 instead of $200,000? I believe many people who buy PB tickets feel that way.  I'm actually happy we don't have PB or MM in Florida. 

Badger, I call it the "what if" syndrome.   Maybe most people aren't as neurotic as I am, but that's what keeps me running to buy tickets, even though some nights I want to skip.  I know people always say the odds of not playing your regular numbers and then being drawn are too slim to worry about, but it happened to me (Fantasy5) and I get depressed once in a while thinking about that night.  So, although the lottery says they try not to rope people in, they do everything they can to make sure we keep spending more and playing more.  

"What if" I leave home tomorrow morning on my way to buy a ticket and get hit by a meteor? LOL Chances of that happening are probably not much worse than winning a jackpot game.

I mostly play Pick 3.  Better odds and more control over what I want to play.  But even then, you constantly run into days where you didn't play the winning combo even though you had it among your picks.  Or that day when you didn't get a chance to get to the store and so didn't play and you had the winning combo on your playslip which was never used.

But then there are also the times when you have your picks and don't feel like going out to play (like on crummy-weather Sundays) and feel more like being an all-day veggie....but you go out anyway and you win. And then there are the days like about a week ago when a combo I'd been following but not playing suddenly seemed like a good idea to play and I did and I hit it straight.

You win some, you lose more.  But you can't worry about "what ifs". And you sure don't hit every day.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3112 Posts
                    Posted: February 2, 2008, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

I never cease to be amazed how I can make numbers not be drawn by playing them and be drawn by not playing them.  Happens too often to be a coincidence, maybe we share the same incredible power. 

My cats have cat like super powers.

BobP

Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: February 3, 2008, 12:46 am - IP Logged

Cats do have super powers, Bob.  Maybe it's that lottery fairy Coin Toss has mentioned in his posts.  She (or to be politically correct, possibly he) might be flying around with magic fairy dust and creating havoc with the laws of probability. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19895 Posts
                        Posted: February 3, 2008, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

BobP

"Frankly I don't see how this can pay for the amounts offered"

It's not like you're betting anyone will win the jackpot but rather you're betting you will win the jackpot.  It's like every time you play a combination they're willing to bet $10M to $1 or $25M to $2 that you won't win the jackpot.  It's like buying a $1 or $2 ticket in a 6/53 games that only pays if you get all six  numbers right.  If such a game was offered on its own, it would look like a rip-off and nobody would play even though the odds are such that it will have a 40-50% pay back.     

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking