Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Divvy it up

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 9 years ago by OldSchoolPa.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
Gurnee, Illinois
United States
Member #49731
February 12, 2007
919 Posts
Posted: February 12, 2008, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

LOL

Yea then a few months later we would see a news headline about 'man being sued by now x-wife for keeping lottery winnings secret' worst part would be 'judge awards HER all the money'

Yes I would only tell my brother and not my wife.  And no I am not worried about the above headline.  The previous cases involved people whose marriages were already on the rocks and their motives for not telling their spouse perhaps was influenced by those circumstances.

My marriage will not be dissolved and it is not in any danger of any discord at this time.  However, my wife also does not believe in playing the lottery which is the reason I would not tell her if I did eventually win.  But she would enjoy the fruits of the win as I would not have any desire to share the winnings with anyone but her.  Which why I also said that I would not even give my brother any of the winnings as a gift.  But because my brother and I have always talked about sound business plans we could pursue together, I would enter into such an arrangement with him so that we could make that dream a reality.

So before you paint the picture that may have occurred to some few people in the past, you might want to consider that other people may have other valid reasons that don't fit the same mold.  Also, you would have to consider the person's motives (apparently you are not a lawyer).  And lastly, before anyone say that if your spouse doesn't believe in playing the lottery that I should honor that and not play the lottery, I can tell you that on a previous occasion when I had a hunch about a set of number I wanted to play in Mega Millions actually ended up rolling that night...and I had honored her request to not buy those ticket that day.  When I shared the news with her, she replied, "Dang, wow, I wish you would have bought that ticket!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
    Member #4121
    March 23, 2004
    817 Posts
    Posted: February 12, 2008, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

My family does not believe in the lottery. They even said if I ever win, that I do not have to give them anything. My plan, I would give them 10 grand each every year and thats it.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      CA
      United States
      Member #57222
      December 23, 2007
      587 Posts
      Posted: February 12, 2008, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

My family does not believe in the lottery. They even said if I ever win, that I do not have to give them anything. My plan, I would give them 10 grand each every year and thats it.

Would they accept it, since they said they wouldn't want anything?

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
        Member #4121
        March 23, 2004
        817 Posts
        Posted: February 12, 2008, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

Would they accept it, since they said they wouldn't want anything?

Greed has the power to change people.  My fear is that may want more. lol

Party

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
          N.C.
          United States
          Member #56005
          October 28, 2007
          877 Posts
          Posted: February 12, 2008, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

I have personally made no promises to nobody...I think its best that way. there are people that I have in mind, that when I win, I will hook up.

but that all depends on how much I win, and what my finacial limitations are.

just my style, might not be the right way, but its my way:)

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
            Washington State
            United States
            Member #33973
            February 26, 2006
            347 Posts
            Posted: February 12, 2008, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

Uff Da,

I read you post and you sound like you really believe that you're going to win.  Talk about positive thinking!  I like that and you actually planned for it!  "If you make it ,the lottery will come."  I always hope and I pray for it and of course I drive through that gated community that I want to live in but wow!  I like your 1 year "opt out" clause too. 

Oh, I wouldn't say I really believe that I'm going to win.  I know it's a long shot.  But if I am going to throw $200 or $250 a year at Mega Million tickets and the amount of time it takes to pick up those tickets, surely it is worth a few more minutes a year to have a statement notorized at my bank which could, in the unlikely event that I DID win, save millions of dollars.  I have no question about wanting to share any big win with relatives and a once-per-year ability to make changes should be ample.  Were I the sole lucky winner of tonight's jackpot, for example, having such a plan in force would save over $13 million in gift and generation-skipping taxes, by my rough estimate, over gifting the same amount without such a statement.  The statement applies only to Mega Millions, as our state lottery which I also occasionally play, rarely gets large enough that such planning would save enough to warrant the advance commitment IMO.

I don't see it as a whole lot different than the fact that I had my first will drawn at age 22 and bought my first individually owned (not group) life insurance in my 20s.   I certainly didn't expect to die at that age, but it is all a part of planning for the unlikely, not only the most likely, events.

I can understand where many people don't have the same trust in their relatives that I have in mine, though.   

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3502 Posts
              Posted: February 13, 2008, 2:43 am - IP Logged

Yes I would only tell my brother and not my wife.  And no I am not worried about the above headline.  The previous cases involved people whose marriages were already on the rocks and their motives for not telling their spouse perhaps was influenced by those circumstances.

My marriage will not be dissolved and it is not in any danger of any discord at this time.  However, my wife also does not believe in playing the lottery which is the reason I would not tell her if I did eventually win.  But she would enjoy the fruits of the win as I would not have any desire to share the winnings with anyone but her.  Which why I also said that I would not even give my brother any of the winnings as a gift.  But because my brother and I have always talked about sound business plans we could pursue together, I would enter into such an arrangement with him so that we could make that dream a reality.

So before you paint the picture that may have occurred to some few people in the past, you might want to consider that other people may have other valid reasons that don't fit the same mold.  Also, you would have to consider the person's motives (apparently you are not a lawyer).  And lastly, before anyone say that if your spouse doesn't believe in playing the lottery that I should honor that and not play the lottery, I can tell you that on a previous occasion when I had a hunch about a set of number I wanted to play in Mega Millions actually ended up rolling that night...and I had honored her request to not buy those ticket that day.  When I shared the news with her, she replied, "Dang, wow, I wish you would have bought that ticket!

This sounds like you mean that even after winning and collecting the money you wouldn't tell her. Is that the case? I'm guessing your wife would notice the change in your finances, so you'd obviously have to tell her something. Spouses can get rather upset when you lie to them about significant things (or relatively insignificant thinsg, FTM). Lying about where the money came from could be significant, but if she doesn't know you're playing and finds out you've been lying as a long term plan she might consider that really significant.  She also might  start to wonder what else you've been lying about. 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: February 13, 2008, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

This sounds like you mean that even after winning and collecting the money you wouldn't tell her. Is that the case? I'm guessing your wife would notice the change in your finances, so you'd obviously have to tell her something. Spouses can get rather upset when you lie to them about significant things (or relatively insignificant thinsg, FTM). Lying about where the money came from could be significant, but if she doesn't know you're playing and finds out you've been lying as a long term plan she might consider that really significant.  She also might  start to wonder what else you've been lying about. 

I Agree!

Winning millions of dollars is a big deal. And what happens if his wife sees that he won on the news or some random person comes up to them to congratulate them? It makes no sense to me to keep secrets like that from ones significant other. To each their own I guess.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                  Gurnee, Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #49731
                  February 12, 2007
                  919 Posts
                  Posted: February 13, 2008, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

Well fortunately I work in an industry were one can land a big client and have said income skyrocket, so it would not be suspicious in that sense.  No I do not work a salaried job...I only pursue business and self-employed endeavors so I am not restricted by a earnings cap.  Changes in my families finances occur all the time so no it would not cast suspicion on me when we experience a huge growth in our income.  And no I would not have to lie about where the money came from...my profession is in the financial services field and I would not be lying when I tell her I landed a client connected with state corporations.  And yes, I have thought well in advance about the news coverage and even mailings coming to me...a trust would be established by my legal team and I would be the representative to go claim the prize on behalf of my client (no the trust would not bear any likeness of my name).  I would also get a PO box for all my lottery mailings.

You see, "I wasn't born yesterday" like it seems many of these jackpot winners who try to pull a fast one over on their spouses or estranged spouses. 

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!