Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Big Numbers...How far is a Light year?

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 9 years ago by WIN D.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
Stone Mountain*Georgia
United States
Member #828
November 2, 2002
10491 Posts
Posted: February 10, 2008, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

US Flag How many miles can the speed of light cover in a year ?           

answer :   5,878,625,373,183.61

That's a huge number... almost 6 trillion !

I can't comprehend that number ....but guess what? I just realized out national debt is bigger than that. Really !

The United States Debt is ...

$      6   Trillion dollars

We are the largest debtor nation in the world!

Remember back in the 70's when that honor belonged to Brazil? Just before their economy dropped and they had 300% inflation.  Roll Eyes   

I propose a Giant Federal Lottery....each man woman and child in America would put up 35,000.00 dollars a piece per ticket.

Who ever won the draw would win what? 

Who ever won would own America ! Patriot

Only in this game ...just US citizens could play. Unlike whats going on right now. China ...Japan ...Europe...Saudi Arabia...etc .... alll buying their tickets here every day that goes by.   

The only real failure .....is the failure to try.                               

Luck is a very rare thing....... Odds not so much. 

Odds never change .....but probability does. 

Win d    

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5583 Posts
    Posted: February 10, 2008, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

So, to whom is that money owed to? If the U.S. defaults how are the debtors going to collect?  I am also curious, is it a savings and loan in my neighborhood? And finally what is the interest rate? Thanks.

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3474 Posts
      Posted: February 11, 2008, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

The money is owed to people who loaned them the money, largely by buying government secutities. Do you own a savings bond, T bill or treasury bond? Congratulations, Uncle Sam owes you money. If they default then you won't collect. What would you do? Take them to bankruptcy court and force them to sell off their assets? The reality is that they'll never default. They'll either pay you back with the taxes you pay them, or they'll just print  the money. The interest rate depends on what the loan was, and when.  The treasury says that the FY2007 interest on debt was $430 billion. That would be an average rate of about 7.17% for $6 trillion.

According to the treasury department  the debt was at $9.244 trillion last Friday. The average for 2007 was about $8.9 trillion. Based on that the average interest rate is probably about 4.8%. 

WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
        Stone Mountain*Georgia
        United States
        Member #828
        November 2, 2002
        10491 Posts
        Posted: February 12, 2008, 8:38 am - IP Logged

The money is owed to people who loaned them the money, largely by buying government secutities. Do you own a savings bond, T bill or treasury bond? Congratulations, Uncle Sam owes you money. If they default then you won't collect. What would you do? Take them to bankruptcy court and force them to sell off their assets? The reality is that they'll never default. They'll either pay you back with the taxes you pay them, or they'll just print  the money. The interest rate depends on what the loan was, and when.  The treasury says that the FY2007 interest on debt was $430 billion. That would be an average rate of about 7.17% for $6 trillion.

According to the treasury department  the debt was at $9.244 trillion last Friday. The average for 2007 was about $8.9 trillion. Based on that the average interest rate is probably about 4.8%. 

Thanks KY Floyd ......  I guess I've been using that 6 trillion figure for much too long without looking.  I also thought the U.S. population was still around 200 million not the current 300 million. I guess thats one way out of this... Just make more Tax payers !  OH Brother... LOL

I found this clock. It's Pretty gross... 

Faster than the speed of Light...and growing faster and faster.

U.S. NATIONAL

DEBT

CLOCK

The Outstanding Public Debt as of 12 Feb 2008 at 01:27:47 PM GMT is:

$ 9 , 2 5 0 , 1 4 0 , 6 9 9 , 8 4 0 . 5 1

The estimated population of the United States is 304,338,775
        so each citizen's share of this debt is $30,394.22.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
        $1.48 billion per day since September 29, 2006!
        Concerned? Then tell Congress and the White House!

The only real failure .....is the failure to try.                               

Luck is a very rare thing....... Odds not so much. 

Odds never change .....but probability does. 

Win d