Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do some people feel computerized drawings are not random?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 9 years ago by benmas.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: February 15, 2008, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

That's amazing Todd. It's Japanese to me...lol

The only program I ever copied was a few games from a computer magazine back in 1988 on my father's commodore 128...lol

Go to, then next, go to step 3, repeat line 4...and so on...lol

They never did work right after I spent an hour writing the program. Either there was a mistake in there, or my dad would shut the computer off because he insisted I mow the lawn, Man was I infuriated. I told him that I just spent over an hour writing this program, and you just erased it....lol Mad

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23267 Posts
    Posted: February 15, 2008, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

That's amazing Todd. It's Japanese to me...lol

The only program I ever copied was a few games from a computer magazine back in 1988 on my father's commodore 128...lol

Go to, then next, go to step 3, repeat line 4...and so on...lol

They never did work right after I spent an hour writing the program. Either there was a mistake in there, or my dad would shut the computer off because he insisted I mow the lawn, Man was I infuriated. I told him that I just spent over an hour writing this program, and you just erased it....lol Mad

I always love talking about Commodore computers, because my first computers -- used and owned -- were Commodores.  The first PC I ever used was a Commodore PET (2001 series), and the first one I ever owned was a VIC-20.  I also later owned a C-64 and a C-128.  Those were fabulous computers!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3104 Posts
      Posted: February 16, 2008, 1:55 am - IP Logged

I always love talking about Commodore computers, because my first computers -- used and owned -- were Commodores.  The first PC I ever used was a Commodore PET (2001 series), and the first one I ever owned was a VIC-20.  I also later owned a C-64 and a C-128.  Those were fabulous computers!

Load "*" , 8, 1 [Return]  The first lotto program I ever bought was Hooked On Lottery for the Commodore C-64 only to find loading it erased the help files to make room for draw history. I was supposed to print them first.  I had a poster made of silver mylar with William Shatner adertising the 64 on it.  Good times. BobP

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1953 Posts
        Posted: February 17, 2008, 12:07 am - IP Logged

Well, I think computers can generate numbers to the point where the numbers chosen at random would be considered just as good as numbers in say a ball drawing from the perspective of human observation. It all depends on how you determine the seed to be used and how often you reeinitialize the RNG with a different seed.

Gonna win.Big Smile

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: February 17, 2008, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

I am new to this board and have been reading some old threads.  I can make a random number generator on my excel spreadsheet that I am 99% certain is random.  Why can't a person with basic programming skills make a random number generator that does as is programmed?  I don't understand why people say that these computerized generators have some sort of memory.  What does that exactly mean?

Also, how do I do a search of these forums?  I don't see a search button.

Whenever there is a choice of outcomes, there will also be a benefit to someone of having one outcome versus another.
          When the mechanism of making that choice is obscured then it becomes possible to manipulate the final result.
          Computers make manipulating the final result easy whether they are inside a lottery machine or a voting machine.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

benmas's avatar - waveform
            Rhode Island
            United States
            Member #56010
            October 28, 2007
            434 Posts
            Posted: February 17, 2008, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

Whenever there is a choice of outcomes, there will also be a benefit to someone of having one outcome versus another.
            When the mechanism of making that choice is obscured then it becomes possible to manipulate the final result.
            Computers make manipulating the final result easy whether they are inside a lottery machine or a voting machine.

THats excatly the point...You said it best..OBSCURED (RNG) vs VISUAL (BALLS)