Welcome Guest
Log In | Register )
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions 2008

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

How High Will The Current Mega Millions Bounce?

No higher than tonight/$179million [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
$220 million [ 6 ]  [24.00%]
$260 million [ 6 ]  [24.00%]
$300 million [ 6 ]  [24.00%]
$350 million [ 3 ]  [12.00%]
$420 million [ 4 ]  [16.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 25 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Avatar
md
United States
Member #14047
April 20, 2005
579 Posts
Offline
Posted: February 15, 2008, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

I think we'll get up to $300 million

    benmas's avatar - waveform
    Rhode Island
    United States
    Member #56010
    October 28, 2007
    434 Posts
    Offline
    Posted: February 15, 2008, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

    I think we'll get up to $300 million

    my opinion is most likely not...15 2nd places last time..its getting close...ticket sales were strong in jersey today...their advertisment campaign is doing good...i voted for no more than $260 mill this year

      dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

      United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Offline
      Posted: February 16, 2008, 12:54 am - IP Logged

      Well the first option is already wrong. Big question is if it can break 200M in cash (currently 330M annuity) and I say no. I'm guessing the current run will last until Friday when the jackpot is around 280. I might get tickets this time though since I doubt it will even roll once more.

      If it rolls twice it will surpass the old record of $370 but I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

        RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19823 Posts
        Offline
        Posted: February 16, 2008, 12:59 am - IP Logged

        At $220M, it's time to start spending a little extra.  That's a cash value of $130M+.

         * you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 
           
                     Evil Looking       

          ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Offline
          Posted: February 16, 2008, 1:03 am - IP Logged

          It would be neat to see it go above $300 million, but I have a feeling it will be hit before then.

          "No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

            Avatar
            NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Offline
            Posted: February 17, 2008, 2:29 am - IP Logged

            my opinion is most likely not...15 2nd places last time..its getting close...ticket sales were strong in jersey today...their advertisment campaign is doing good...i voted for no more than $260 mill this year

            Especially with PB at $100 million, it will take 2 more rolls before MM passes the $300 million mark, but that isn't all that unlikely. Fifteen 5+0 winners when there are 46 mega numbers means that no more than 1/3 of the mega numbers were played for that combination. The current increase in the cash value is about $25 million, which means they expect to sell about 75 million tickets. Accounting for duplicate combinations, roughly 35% of combinations will be played, so there's a 65% chance it will roll.  If that happens there will be roughly a 60% chance of rolling again. That gives us about a 40% chance of two more rolls, which would probably get us to 350 or so. The 390 million record was just under a year ago, and the last two rolls took it from 216 to 275 and then 390. If PB gets hit on the next drawing we might see the very high 300's again, and a decent chance of reaching 400. There's perhaps a 15% chance of 3 rolls, which could well push it to the half billion dollar mark. That would be a nice way to finish leap day.

              benmas's avatar - waveform
              Rhode Island
              United States
              Member #56010
              October 28, 2007
              434 Posts
              Offline
              Posted: February 17, 2008, 3:10 am - IP Logged

              Especially with PB at $100 million, it will take 2 more rolls before MM passes the $300 million mark, but that isn't all that unlikely. Fifteen 5+0 winners when there are 46 mega numbers means that no more than 1/3 of the mega numbers were played for that combination. The current increase in the cash value is about $25 million, which means they expect to sell about 75 million tickets. Accounting for duplicate combinations, roughly 35% of combinations will be played, so there's a 65% chance it will roll.  If that happens there will be roughly a 60% chance of rolling again. That gives us about a 40% chance of two more rolls, which would probably get us to 350 or so. The 390 million record was just under a year ago, and the last two rolls took it from 216 to 275 and then 390. If PB gets hit on the next drawing we might see the very high 300's again, and a decent chance of reaching 400. There's perhaps a 15% chance of 3 rolls, which could well push it to the half billion dollar mark. That would be a nice way to finish leap day.

              thank you for your explanation....however i do not understand the connection between powerball and the mega rolling....i don"t think the two games have anything to do with each other rolls...

              can you please explain why do you think that PB could influence the mega to roll at these jackpot levels...I think whether the mega hits or not is indipendent of powerball jackpot..maybe you think that somehow the # of tickets sold is being inflenced by # of sales of other lottos???

              personally i don't beleive it could ever go beyond 400 mill....in the $300s it starts a big betting frenzy..and when it makes headline news even people who never play will jump in to take a shot...also in the past the number of 5+0 winners in the $300 levels is averaging ~35 so nearly an 3/4 shot of matching bonus #...$ half a bill is ridiculous... practically would never happen with current format...with 176 million combos you can buy the jackpot at those levels..but the ? is the uncertainty of others hitting it also


                United States
                Member #32020
                February 6, 2006
                1 Posts
                Offline
                Posted: February 17, 2008, 9:11 am - IP Logged

                MegaMillions ticket sales are down compare to this recent 330 jackpot. If this thing shatters the record jackpot of over 390 or not, 220 is large. Throw out the odds calculator and consider Mega a raffle game, someone going to do some big-boy-toy shopping.

                  fja's avatar - gnome1

                  United States
                  Member #91
                  January 19, 2002
                  11927 Posts
                  Offline
                  Posted: February 17, 2008, 9:38 am - IP Logged

                  thank you for your explanation....however i do not understand the connection between powerball and the mega rolling....i don"t think the two games have anything to do with each other rolls...

                  can you please explain why do you think that PB could influence the mega to roll at these jackpot levels...I think whether the mega hits or not is indipendent of powerball jackpot..maybe you think that somehow the # of tickets sold is being inflenced by # of sales of other lottos???

                  personally i don't beleive it could ever go beyond 400 mill....in the $300s it starts a big betting frenzy..and when it makes headline news even people who never play will jump in to take a shot...also in the past the number of 5+0 winners in the $300 levels is averaging ~35 so nearly an 3/4 shot of matching bonus #...$ half a bill is ridiculous... practically would never happen with current format...with 176 million combos you can buy the jackpot at those levels..but the ? is the uncertainty of others hitting it also

                  I believe he means that a portion of power ball players are more likely to stay in there state and play Pb for 100+million than to travel to a MM state and by tickets,,,and vice versa.....If one hits than you will see an increase in sales on the other game, especially in the border cities.......

                  "Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

                    dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

                    United States
                    Member #2338
                    September 17, 2003
                    2063 Posts
                    Offline
                    Posted: February 17, 2008, 11:52 am - IP Logged

                    MegaMillions ticket sales are down compare to this recent 330 jackpot. If this thing shatters the record jackpot of over 390 or not, 220 is large. Throw out the odds calculator and consider Mega a raffle game, someone going to do some big-boy-toy shopping.

                    Well I don't know where you got your numbers from but at lottoreports.com it shows that sales are in fact up for this drawing. In fact if you compare the $330 drawing to this one sales are up $10M for the 2/15 draw and $4M for the drawing before that. It helps that neither game has had a large jackpot since August of last year.

                    This run even has higher sales than the run that made it to $370. Unlike that run however I think someone will hit the jackpot in the next two drawings. 

                      benmas's avatar - waveform
                      Rhode Island
                      United States
                      Member #56010
                      October 28, 2007
                      434 Posts
                      Offline
                      Posted: February 17, 2008, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

                      I believe he means that a portion of power ball players are more likely to stay in there state and play Pb for 100+million than to travel to a MM state and by tickets,,,and vice versa.....If one hits than you will see an increase in sales on the other game, especially in the border cities.......

                      thanks fja...thats what i thought initially but still not enough to make a significant difference in my mind because part of that will be offset by two things: the people who never play but who decide to get in at $300 mill levels...i have noticed that people go for the big bucks anyway given two choices and most people will play both... it gives them additional opportunity to strike it rich...at the end is the luck of the draw that ultimately decides the rolling

                        JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

                        United States
                        Member #4121
                        March 23, 2004
                        817 Posts
                        Offline
                        Posted: February 19, 2008, 8:09 am - IP Logged

                        I voted $420 million.  Let the dreaming begin.

                          ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #56506
                          November 21, 2007
                          6537 Posts
                          Offline
                          Posted: February 19, 2008, 11:15 am - IP Logged

                          I voted $420 million.  Let the dreaming begin.

                          I really don't see it reaching that high, unless they change the matrix. 

                          "No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

                            dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

                            United States
                            Member #2338
                            September 17, 2003
                            2063 Posts
                            Offline
                            Posted: February 19, 2008, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

                            It would have to roll three times to break $400. IF (and that's a big if) it rolls tonight it will probably go 220, 275, 350, 440.

                            Might go to 360 and 450 if sales hold. Either way I think it's getting hit tonight or Friday.

                              dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

                              United States
                              Member #2338
                              September 17, 2003
                              2063 Posts
                              Offline
                              Posted: February 20, 2008, 12:15 am - IP Logged

                              Well it looks like it rolled again. Only one more drawing before breaking the 300 mark.