Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 6:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Question about editing

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 9 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10389 Posts
Posted: February 16, 2008, 10:28 am - IP Logged

Not a suggestion, just a question....

When editing a poast, and then submitting it, what was originally this (*** represents text):

turns into this:

So the question is why the huge gaps in the spacing? 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23348 Posts
    Posted: February 16, 2008, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Lottery Discussion forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8391 Posts
      Posted: February 16, 2008, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

When editing a poast, and then submitting it, what was originally this (*** represents text):

turns into this:

Coin -------- Did you copy and paste it from some other place if you did then it will sometimes leave double spaces. If you want to paste something and not have it spaced look at the three clipboards in the editor one says paste.... one says past as plain text.... and one says paste from word experiment wit these when you post something from another place. i am referring to the rich text editor i don't use the simple editor anymore. 

Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23348 Posts
        Posted: February 17, 2008, 1:12 am - IP Logged

turns into this:

I've seen that from a couple of people, but I have never been able to reproduce it myself.  If you can provide some specifics it would help.  Need to know your exact setup - OS, browser, and version numbers.  As Four4me said, I also need to know how the text got there (did you type it?) and which editor do you use.  And an exact scenario (step 1, step2, etc.).

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3502 Posts
          Posted: February 17, 2008, 1:47 am - IP Logged

Step 1: type something and then

start a new paragraph(s).  Post the reply.

Step 2: Go back and edit the reply, then save the changes: 

Edit starts here. Because this paragraph was started in the edit it should show up with the normal line spacing. That's also a workaround: if you delete the <enter>s and then hit enter again during the edit you'll get normal line spacing. Whatever is happening adds an extra line when the edit is saved. If you edit twice you'll add another line between paragraphs.

Windows XP SP2, Netscape 7.1 

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3502 Posts
            Posted: February 17, 2008, 1:53 am - IP Logged

BTW, that last post was all typed, with no cutting and pasting.

Here's another paragraph, to show what happens if I edit  multiple times.

I clicked edit and saved the changes twice without  actually making any changes. This paragraph was added during the third edit, and should have normal spacing. 

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23348 Posts
              Posted: February 17, 2008, 1:59 am - IP Logged

Para 1

Para 2

*Post**Edit**Still Looks The Same, edit again*

Must be a browser issue, because I've edited this four times with no issue.  Maybe a Netscape problem.

Editing with Netscape 9. 

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23348 Posts
                Posted: February 17, 2008, 2:02 am - IP Logged

Yup, it's a Netscape thing.  Maybe Firefox too.

line 2. 

line 3. 

Opera. 

Safari. 

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3502 Posts
                  Posted: February 17, 2008, 2:02 am - IP Logged

Slight correction. Editing doesn't simply add an extra <enter>. It duplicates all of the existing <enter>s, which makes it exponential. The post above started with one line between paragraphs. The first edit doubled that to two, the second edit doubled it to 4 and the third edit doubled it again, to 8.

I don't know what OS and browser Coin Toss is using, but if this only affects the few of us that are still using old browsers  (or only affects a few of us for whatever odd reason) I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a real problem, and the workaround is easy, as long as you remember to do it.

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23348 Posts
                    Posted: February 17, 2008, 2:29 am - IP Logged

OK, I think I may have fixed the glitch.  I tested in IE7, Netscape 9, and Firefox 2.  I'll probably hit Opera and Safari too, but I'll assume for now they're good too.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10389 Posts
                      Posted: February 17, 2008, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

Windows XP and whatever the latest update to Mozilla Firefox is....

I'll post this, then edit, as a test..... 

Edited, now I'll click Save Changes... 

Looks like you fixed it, Todd

Smile

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                        Charlotte NC
                        United States
                        Member #17406
                        June 18, 2005
                        4054 Posts
                        Posted: February 17, 2008, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

I had the same problem

I copied and pasted this from Word 2007, using lastest updated version of Firefox, Windows XP

THIS is how it looks - copied single spaced WORD 2007 using this icon

All cows eat grass

Get big ducks fly away

Every good boy does fine

I think maybe whether it's a paragraph or single spacef getd lost in translation when coming from Word 2007.

THIS IS PLAIN TEXT - still using single space from Word 2007 it's single space and the result I want

All cows eat grass
                        Get big ducks fly away
                        Every good boy does fine

Looks like it's the plain text that works for me 

This gives me the error message that using Mozilla/Firefox is not available

Posting tables is the biggy for me and it's the plain text that works for me.

182 182
                        071 205
                        960 328
                        859 441
                        748 564
                        637 687
                        526 700
                        415 823
                        304 946
                        293 069
                        182 182

Now I will type the sentences in to see, hitting enter after each line

Every good boy does fine

Great big ducks fly away

All cows eat grass

hmmmm 

What do I need to do to type in single space?  

takeemtothebank

Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23348 Posts
                          Posted: February 17, 2008, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

@Janet:  There is nothing unique about the Lottery Post editor.  In fact, the editor I use is considered one of the best in the web development business. 

The abilities of specific brands of web browsers (such as Firefox), as well as the specific keystrokes to perform particular actions, are part of the browser software itself, and not something I control.

Understanding these things may answer some basic questions you may have.

Then, to your specific question about single-spacing:  Simply hold the Ctrl key while pressing Enter.  Doing so will insert a simple linebreak, rather than a paragraph break.  Again, this is a standard convention, not something unique to Lottery Post.

The fact that Firefox cannot handle certain functions is a limitation of the Firefox web browser.  If there is something you need to do, and Firefox can't handle it, then I would suggest the following options:

• My #1 recommendation is to use IE7, which is the browser I test the site for most stringently, since it is the web browser most people use. 
                          • Try installing Opera 9.25 (or later).  (www.opera.com)  Opera is a very good, very fast alternative web browser, and they have made great strides with compatibility.
                          • Try installing Safari 3.0.4 (or later).  (www.apple.com/safari)  Apple created a Windows version of their Safari web browser, and it is pretty good, but not perfect.  If you like the Mac OS X interface, you will like Safari.  There are some features of the editor which are somewhat buggy, but you may never run into those issues.  It depends on what you do.  It wouldn't hurt to try it.
                          • Try Netscape 9.x, and switch the rendering engine to IE mode.  Many people do not realize that Netscape has this capability.  By default, Netscape uses the Firefox rendering engine, but if you go into the options, you can change it to use the IE rendering engine.  It's a nice feature because you don't have to change web browsers to get the different functionality.  The downside to using Netscape is that AOL has discontinued all development on Netscape, so it is a dead-end web browser.
                          • Lastly, continue using Firefox (which is a great web browser), but see if there is a different way to do the same thing.  For example, if it's a table you're using, try creating it in Excel instead of Word, and do a direct copy/paste from there.  It may work pretty well.  Also, be sure you are using the latest version of Firefox (2.0.1.12, I believe).

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                            Charlotte NC
                            United States
                            Member #17406
                            June 18, 2005
                            4054 Posts
                            Posted: February 17, 2008, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

@Janet:  There is nothing unique about the Lottery Post editor.  In fact, the editor I use is considered one of the best in the web development business. 

The abilities of specific brands of web browsers (such as Firefox), as well as the specific keystrokes to perform particular actions, are part of the browser software itself, and not something I control.

Understanding these things may answer some basic questions you may have.

Then, to your specific question about single-spacing:  Simply hold the Ctrl key while pressing Enter.  Doing so will insert a simple linebreak, rather than a paragraph break.  Again, this is a standard convention, not something unique to Lottery Post.

The fact that Firefox cannot handle certain functions is a limitation of the Firefox web browser.  If there is something you need to do, and Firefox can't handle it, then I would suggest the following options:

• My #1 recommendation is to use IE7, which is the browser I test the site for most stringently, since it is the web browser most people use. 
                            • Try installing Opera 9.25 (or later).  (www.opera.com)  Opera is a very good, very fast alternative web browser, and they have made great strides with compatibility.
                            • Try installing Safari 3.0.4 (or later).  (www.apple.com/safari)  Apple created a Windows version of their Safari web browser, and it is pretty good, but not perfect.  If you like the Mac OS X interface, you will like Safari.  There are some features of the editor which are somewhat buggy, but you may never run into those issues.  It depends on what you do.  It wouldn't hurt to try it.
                            • Try Netscape 9.x, and switch the rendering engine to IE mode.  Many people do not realize that Netscape has this capability.  By default, Netscape uses the Firefox rendering engine, but if you go into the options, you can change it to use the IE rendering engine.  It's a nice feature because you don't have to change web browsers to get the different functionality.  The downside to using Netscape is that AOL has discontinued all development on Netscape, so it is a dead-end web browser.
                            • Lastly, continue using Firefox (which is a great web browser), but see if there is a different way to do the same thing.  For example, if it's a table you're using, try creating it in Excel instead of Word, and do a direct copy/paste from there.  It may work pretty well.  Also, be sure you are using the latest version of Firefox (2.0.1.12, I believe).

Todd, thank you. Helpful information.  I think I will use your last advice on continuing using Foxfire.  I think it's almost tweaked for what works for me on this site's editor.  Even though I do have IE7.  I'm running the lastest versions of both. 

I just like Firefox because it is webmaster friendly. I am such an ignorant, inexperience webmaster that when I ran up on Firefox - I throw stones at IE7. I'm like "why doesn't Microsoft do that for us since most people use their browsers"  Go figure.  Couldn't do nothing without having to do a hack for IE.  And a dummy like me didn't know what to do in the first place, let along a hack.  And hearing the geeks argue about which hack was best made it even more confusing to me.

But I forgive IE7.  It forced me to learn stuff - epecially the old "unsecure items error" message that occurs when you have a SSL Certificate....that caused me grief.   I'll never use images again on my site coming from places like Image Shack again.  They are now on the secure directory on my server.

I've always used Ctrl/Enter as PAGE break rather than line spacing break.  Didn't know that shortcut key worked as a differently function in Editors.  A new wrinkle.

I'm going to try it here

It gave me a double space here

So I think it's all good for me now because I'm not having line spacing problems anymore when I key directly.  I let the line wrap and it did and it's single spaced - so I am good.   Thanks again.

takeemtothebank

Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23348 Posts
                              Posted: February 17, 2008, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

Oops, it's SHIFT-Enter, not Ctrl-Enter.  Try that and you should get a single break.