Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 8:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Protection after a huge jackpot lottery win

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 9 years ago by wantmoney.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: February 20, 2008, 10:40 am - IP Logged

You got a point there.

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
    Member #38687
    May 3, 2006
    315 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2008, 11:14 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't want to win if I had to live like that, everything you suggest is based on fear.

LMAO!!!!! I Agree! that would be horrible to live like that

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
      Member #50124
      February 26, 2007
      601 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2008, 11:18 am - IP Logged

My library doesn't have either one of those, either locally or in the loan catalog.  Disapprove

I've posted before what I'll do, I'm sure people are sick of reading it.  I'm not attached to my city/state I currently reside or my name, so that should make it easy. 

San Diego, CA
        United States
        Member #58386
        February 12, 2008
        287 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2008, 11:20 am - IP Logged

About being an anonymous winner.  I am almost certain that California allows winners to be anonymous.  Do most other states not allow this?

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: February 20, 2008, 11:31 am - IP Logged

There are plenty of wealthy people who live normal lives.  You need to just live in a private gated community if you're that worried. 

I wouldn't show off too much anyway, but that's just my personal preference.  No matter how much or how little you have, everyone needs to use common sense.

I would definitely move, just because I'd want a change.

I agree. Good post. I would not let myself live in fear, but I would use common sense when coming into that much money and take some precautions when dealing with different situations that may arise.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8362 Posts
            Posted: February 20, 2008, 11:46 am - IP Logged

When you win the big one you have many choices.. one might be to bring it out in the open as so many have and suffer the consequences. Or you could keep a low profile. Keeping a low profile might be the better choice.

I guess it boils down to a persons personality some people flaunt it some try and hide it.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
              OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
              Gurnee, Illinois
              United States
              Member #49731
              February 12, 2007
              917 Posts
              Posted: February 20, 2008, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

Definitely Magnum Trojan or Durex in a pinch.

Go to fullsize imageJust ask Homer.

I will not need that type of protection...I am happily married.

As for the other protection, just go into something resembling the witness protection program.  After you claim the prize, just change your name and move leaving no forwarding address.  You might even want to request to change your SSN.  That way no one can track you. 

But I seriously wouldn't be that paranoid to do any of these protection measures.  I know how to say no.  I would also ask some well-grounded celebrities how they handle their privacy (like Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, etc).  But since I live in the land of wealth, I don't think I would have a problem living here with all the other wealthy moguls.  The fact that my wealth came from the lottery would not matter...cash is cash.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1954 Posts
                Posted: February 20, 2008, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

All this "protection" stuff is only going to protect you in the process of claiming the prize, not after. Well, unless you plan on just letting all that money sit in a bank account and never touch it. Your friends and family will see it. The new cars, the new house, etc. There's no stopping the word that you are loaded.

Gonna win.Big Smile

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                  San Jose, California
                  United States
                  Member #42003
                  June 26, 2006
                  206 Posts
                  Posted: February 20, 2008, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

I like the idea that buying a K-9 for protection. First, you have something to protect you in case of someone intrude into your home. Second, you have a buddy to play with.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                    Member #4121
                    March 23, 2004
                    817 Posts
                    Posted: February 20, 2008, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone thought about wearing Bullet proof vest and  buying armored cars for protection?

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                      Gurnee, Illinois
                      United States
                      Member #49731
                      February 12, 2007
                      917 Posts
                      Posted: February 21, 2008, 8:47 am - IP Logged

Has anyone thought about wearing Bullet proof vest and  buying armored cars for protection?

Man, you guys are super paranoid about this!  Heck even celebrities don't go to these measures and you know they are loaded.  I say if you use common sense you can live your life in peace. 

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: February 21, 2008, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Man, you guys are super paranoid about this!  Heck even celebrities don't go to these measures and you know they are loaded.  I say if you use common sense you can live your life in peace. 

Not all of us our paranoid if we were to come into a large jackpot. Just look back at the comments. I agree there is no need to go over-board with protection. It just takes some common sense.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                          Republic of Texas
                          United States
                          Member #57557
                          January 9, 2008
                          1095 Posts
                          Posted: February 22, 2008, 12:26 am - IP Logged

I would probably wait no less than 2 weeks to claim the ticket.  I would actually give my boss a notice. I like him. I would probably just tell him I was moving back home to be with my ageing parents.

During that time, I would disconnect the house phone, and then the cell phones, replacing them with a new service with new numbers under my daughter's name.  Send change of address for my important mail to a PO Box.  Then put the house mail on vacation hold. I would also check into some temporary alternative housing.  No way would I go back and stay in my home. Since I would be moving out of state, staying in the house is not necessary.  

I'd definitely claim the winnings in a trust, have a brief written statement that I will read, and with my atty by my side, state that I will take no questions.  End of news conference. Right after the money is secured by whatever the wealth management company sets up, I would be on the road for a long vacation.  No planes, no trains.

After the vacation, I'd stay in the temp housing and get everything here taken care of - pack up what I want to keep and ship to a storage facility and give the rest to Salvation Army or Volunteers of America - whoever wants to come and pick up.

I'd probably settle in a gated community somewhere. No need for any additional security other than a home alarm system. I have a CWP now, but don't carry on my person.  But don't come in my house uninvited with a surprise "visit".  No hangers on.  I don't trust many as it is anymore. Divorce will do that to you.

Btw, I don't imagine they give you a check right there. I'd bet they have electronic funds transfer to wherever you want.

No flaunting, go gaudy displays of wealth. Just a comfortable private life, somewhere that you can blend in with other people of means. 

I may just buy one of those books mentioned, if for anything fun reading.  Wink

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
                            Raleigh
                            United States
                            Member #49057
                            January 17, 2007
                            172 Posts
                            Posted: February 22, 2008, 9:17 am - IP Logged

Lawyers.

Financial Advisers.

A good CPA.

A good neighborhood.

A low profile. (You can spend money without showing off)

A modest gun collection.

San Diego, CA
                              United States
                              Member #58386
                              February 12, 2008
                              287 Posts
                              Posted: February 22, 2008, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

Is California the only state where someone can be anonymous when claiming a jackpot?  Not sure what the point is in making your name public after winning a jackpot.