Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 7:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 9 years ago by bigato1010.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: February 20, 2008, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

Forgive me if this has already been discussed. Personally, I don't remember if it has.  

Why is it that some states like the one I live in, Florida, and others not join in with those big lotteries?

I'm the last person on the LP who would ask such a question because I hardly play my own Lotto, because of the rediculous odds. I occasionally play it just for the heck of it, but I would be interested to play the really big ones also for the same reason I would play the Florida Lotto, or Fantasy Five...Just for the heck of it. Once in a while of course.

I'm sure part of the reason is political as to why they don't include all states, but does anyone know all the reasons, or the mains ones?

Thanx..

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8392 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2008, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

MUSL has it member states and Lotto America has it's members states seems either Florida didn't want to be a part of either of them or they were never asked. And apparently Florida is a member of the North America lottery association which incorporates many states whom incorporate both mega and powerball.

Also if i recall when they formed both lotteries their intention was to grab equal shares of the populations of neighboring states. Now wether that idea has went astray or they are waiting for other states to join in on the fun who knows.

I would think the Florida lottery administration could better answer your question. You might want to shoot that question to the Florida lottery website.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2008, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

Thanx. I will email.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19895 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2008, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

States usually join one of the multi-state games to keep local players in state and to attract more players to their local games.  In exchange states pay all the lower tier prizes won in their state and contribute a third of the ticket sales to the jackpot which is usually won by another state.  If Floridians aren't going out of state to play lottery games in the surrounding states, there may be very little to gain by adding a multi-game.  In fact adding a multi-state game might just reduce sales for local games and reduce the state lottery profits.

When Ohio joined MegaMillions, they wanted a share of money Ohioans were spending playing BigGame and PowerBall in the surrounding states and to keep them home playing local games.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: February 20, 2008, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

States usually join one of the multi-state games to keep local players in state and to attract more players to their local games.  In exchange states pay all the lower tier prizes won in their state and contribute a third of the ticket sales to the jackpot which is usually won by another state.  If Floridians aren't going out of state to play lottery games in the surrounding states, there may be very little to gain by adding a multi-game.  In fact adding a multi-state game might just reduce sales for local games and reduce the state lottery profits.

When Ohio joined MegaMillions, they wanted a share of money Ohioans were spending playing BigGame and PowerBall in the surrounding states and to keep them home playing local games.

I was under the impression that you didn't have to go out of state to play the multi-states. I thought they just added the playslips to the existing lottery counters where people fill their betslips.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10390 Posts
            Posted: February 20, 2008, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Pac

Part of the reason might be that the multi-state games tend to really diminsh the play for the state lottery Pick 6.

Florida has a pretty big population and pretty decent jackpots for a state lottery.

Consider Missouri- it's a Powerball state, but the Missouri lottery Pick 6 rarely goes above $2 million, and grows very slowly, most of the play goew to Powerball.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19895 Posts
              Posted: February 20, 2008, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

I was under the impression that you didn't have to go out of state to play the multi-states. I thought they just added the playslips to the existing lottery counters where people fill their betslips.

Where did you get that impression?  If that was true, you could travel to Georgia and get a bunch of MegaMillions play slips and play it in Florida.

Each state have their own versions of the multi-state game and play slips that they offer.  California has its own pari-mutuel version of MegaMillions and Texas has its version of MegaMillions with the Megaplier.  Ohio's MegaMillions play slips can only be used in Ohio and MagaMillions and PowerBall winners can only cash in winning tickets in the state where they bought them.  

Evil Looking       

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: February 20, 2008, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Where did you get that impression?  If that was true, you could travel to Georgia and get a bunch of MegaMillions play slips and play it in Florida.

Each state have their own versions of the multi-state game and play slips that they offer.  California has its own pari-mutuel version of MegaMillions and Texas has its version of MegaMillions with the Megaplier.  Ohio's MegaMillions play slips can only be used in Ohio and MagaMillions and PowerBall winners can only cash in winning tickets in the state where they bought them.  

When you say that each state has their own version, will they win the JP in it's total if no one else hits? I don't understand.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19895 Posts
                  Posted: February 20, 2008, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

When you say that each state has their own version, will they win the JP in it's total if no one else hits? I don't understand.

As I mentioned earlier, each participating state contributes ~33% of its ticket sales to the jackpot which is paid to the jackpot winner/s by the state/s that sells the winning ticket/s under its own rules.  The procedures are explained more fully on the lottery websites of the participating states.  Because of local taxes,payout amounts can vary by states as explained at USA Mega.   

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7341 Posts
                    Posted: February 20, 2008, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

The payoffs of the jackpot and the other prizes are the responsibility and are under the control of the individual states. Even though I'm playing for the same jackpot, if I buy my ticket in Michigan, I can't cash it in Ohio. The only money pooled in Mega Millions is the percentage of ticket sales that goes into the jackpot and it's exactly the same for each Mega Millions state.

All secondary prizes are paid from the individual state prize pools so the payoff amounts are the prerogative each state. Matching 5 + 0 on Tuesday's drawing paid $250,000 in Ohio but paid $697,476 in California.

Florida would be a nice addition to either Mega Millions or Powerball but the state lottery commission has to determine the effect it would have on current Florida games.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                      Marquette, MI
                      United States
                      Member #20541
                      August 20, 2005
                      709 Posts
                      Posted: February 20, 2008, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

One reason is it ruins the local games.  Case in point is the Michigan 6/xx games.  In 1995, before Megamillions, it took 12 draws to get the Michigan jackpot to $45,000,000 now it has taken 234 DAYS and the jackpot is at 22.4 Million. 

Another reason is that it drains money out of the state when a jackpot is hit elsewhere.  I don't know if or where the statistics are kept but I am sure some states are out serious money on the multi state games.

Not to mention that some states get back less than a dollar for every tax dollar they send to DC. So both the big lotteries and US taxes are draining their states.

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: February 20, 2008, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

One reason is it ruins the local games.  Case in point is the Michigan 6/xx games.  In 1995, before Megamillions, it took 12 draws to get the Michigan jackpot to $45,000,000 now it has taken 234 DAYS and the jackpot is at 22.4 Million. 

Another reason is that it drains money out of the state when a jackpot is hit elsewhere.  I don't know if or where the statistics are kept but I am sure some states are out serious money on the multi state games.

Not to mention that some states get back less than a dollar for every tax dollar they send to DC. So both the big lotteries and US taxes are draining their states.

So basically, I'm getting the viewpoint that if it dosen't benefit the state, they won't bother with attaching themselves.

The states feel deprived of income.

Now I get it.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19895 Posts
                          Posted: February 20, 2008, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

So basically, I'm getting the viewpoint that if it dosen't benefit the state, they won't bother with attaching themselves.

The states feel deprived of income.

Now I get it.

Why would you think other wise?  States have lotteries to raise money for themselves, not to give it away.  Florida unlike a lot of states only has one state on its boarder with a multi=state game to compete with while a state like Ohio had five.  Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia and Pennsylvania all had the BigGame or PowerBall before Ohio joined MegaMillions and Ohio Super Lotto couldn't compete.

If enough Floridians start traveling to Georgia to buy MegaMillions ticket, Florida will join PowerBall or MegaMillions if Georgia doesn't object.

Evil Looking       

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                            Member #2338
                            September 17, 2003
                            2063 Posts
                            Posted: February 21, 2008, 12:16 am - IP Logged

Considering the possible matrix change to Powerball they would most likely join that. I don't see Florida joining anything this year.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3502 Posts
                              Posted: February 21, 2008, 3:59 am - IP Logged

I don't see how any of that makes sense.

I don't doubt that alot of players buy tickets for the bigger jackpot, but states maketheir money from all of the sales, regardless of which games areplayed. If joining a multi state game reduces annual sales of a stategame by 250 million dollars because players start spending 250 milliondollars on the new multi-state game, the overall sales are exactly thesame. In reality I expect that overall sales would go up, because evenif  most players switch completely, some will add the new gameswhile still playing the old ones.

As far as money leaving thestate, that also works the other way. In the long run each state shouldexpect to have jackpot winners in proportion to the number of ticketsthey sell. Even if the state's share of the jackpot  goes toanother state, they still keep their 50 cents  from each ticket.

How much of the money that goes to the IRS finds its way back has nothing to do with it.