Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Florida's New Addition to its Lotto

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Think.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: February 20, 2008, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

Did you guys see this yet?  It is definetly new.  Add $1 to your ticket ($2) win an extra $10M if you hit the jackpot.  Bet $3 and add $25M to your jackpot win.  I wonder how well it will do.

Brad

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
    Gurnee, Illinois
    United States
    Member #49731
    February 12, 2007
    919 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2008, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

Is that $10M cash value or $10M annuity?  If cash value, I would purchase that option (I always play to win and like this kind of feature over that of the multiplier for non jackpot winners).

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2008, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

There have been a couple of threads about this new feature. Florida made this decision last summer.  The change was supposed to take effect this week, but they had some problems and now they plan to sell tickets in early March.  I complained on one thread that I couldn't buy advanced tickets for a few weeks because they moved the date.   

I've been playing this game for 14 years and haven't won (not even 5/6) so I'm not about to spend another dollar, since it doesn't have any effect on the lower tier prizes.   The odds are still 1 in approx 23 million.  Maybe if they doubled the lesser prizes, it would make sense to me. 

Edit:  BTW, the jackpot is $37 million tonight.  I'd rather buy 10 tickets for $10 than get 5 tickets for $10.  I think $37 million would be just fine!  (probably $21M cash)

Think's avatar - lightbulb
        Marquette, MI
        United States
        Member #20541
        August 20, 2005
        710 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2008, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

Can you buy Ten tickets with the same numbers for $3 each for $30 to go for an extra $250,000,000???

That would be great...a big jackpot anytime YOU feel like it. 

United States
          Member #1826
          July 11, 2003
          2645 Posts
          Posted: February 21, 2008, 12:16 am - IP Logged

Can you buy Ten tickets with the same numbers for $3 each for $30 to go for an extra $250,000,000???

That would be great...a big jackpot anytime YOU feel like it. 

Nope. If there are more than one $3 tickets winning, they share the jackpot and the $25mil.

(insert signature here)

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2008, 3:00 am - IP Logged

Is that $10M cash value or $10M annuity?  If cash value, I would purchase that option (I always play to win and like this kind of feature over that of the multiplier for non jackpot winners).

Good question.  I just found out that it's an annuity paid over 30 years.   However, they probably offer it as a lump sum too.  I am assuming if, for example, you win a $6 million jackpot and opt for the extra $10 million, you will win $16 million over 30 years or about $8.5 million cash before tax.

Still, I'm not going to add another dollar, but it would certainly be a nice bonus when the jackpot is very low, since it starts at $3 million.  However, that will have to be enough for me since I can't start doubling my bets twice a week.  

Marquette, MI
              United States
              Member #20541
              August 20, 2005
              710 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2008, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

I hope when Michigan changes the 6/xx they go to a Double Jackpot game because the Florida Jackpot plus just does not sound good.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1958 Posts
                Posted: February 24, 2008, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

Just checked their site. It's annuity.

Gonna win.Big Smile

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3502 Posts
                  Posted: February 25, 2008, 3:07 am - IP Logged

"BTW, the jackpot is $37 million tonight.  I'd rather buy 10 tickets for$10 than get 5 tickets for $10.  I think $37 million would be justfine!  (probably $21M cash)"

That'sthe sensible strategy for that jackpot. Spending another dollar getsyou another chance at $37 million  (and a chance at the smallerprizes), vs another dollar for a chance at $10 million. OTOH, if thejackpot is only$3 million, you can play for a  jackpot that's 4times as  big for twice as much money if you don't mind passing onthe extra chance for the smaller prizes. 

Marquette, MI
                    United States
                    Member #20541
                    August 20, 2005
                    710 Posts
                    Posted: February 25, 2008, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

What this looks like is a way to get the Jackpot to go up faster.  People might pay the extra money when the Jackpot is less than $25 Million.