Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can My Comapny Sue us For the Winnings?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Littleoldlady.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: February 22, 2008, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

I thought about this a little more and maybe everyone would lose! Yes Nod

Let's say a new employee signs an agreement that he won't use company equipment for personal use and signed other documents about proper conduct in the workplace, which might mention anything from sexual harassment, use of profanity, dress codes and gambling to showing up for work on time & sober.  By scanning & email lottery tickets, isn't this person breaking the contract? 

So then the Lottery can say the winning ticket is void since it was purchased in violation of a legal & binding contract. 

OMG!  Scared

Seriously, I doubt if anything would ever happen and I can't imagine a judge awarding a cut to the company.  Still, keeping personal business separate from the workplace is always best.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7344 Posts
    Posted: February 22, 2008, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

KY Floyd, its not about the color of someone's tie or shirt.  Its about MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.  Its about employee's using company time and property to make money.  I have no doubt that a company would get a healthy cut of the winnings. 

If this is done during lunch hour or after work, off the clock.  I don't think it would be a problem'

Any company can fire an employee for violating the conditions of employment and sue them for damages. If a company allows personal use of company time and property, I don't see what's different about using it to play the lottery. If the policy is no personal use, there's your answer.

If a certain amount personal use is allowed, to be safe, ask your boss to join the pool. It's possible he could sue for part of the winnings because in exchange for allowing you to use his company's time and property, he would get a share of the winnings. It doesn't mean he will win, but your payoff could be held by the court until the matter was settled. 

Captain Lotto's avatar - CaptLotto
      Jefferson City, MO
      United States
      Member #55250
      September 20, 2007
      97 Posts
      Posted: February 22, 2008, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

A Lottery ticket is a bearers instrument.  Only people who make a claim on the actual ticket would be included.  Claims will not be paid on copies.  Therefore, it's unlikely that a company would have any legal claim on a scanned copy. 

Operating a players group in the office should only take place with the consent and knowledge of management, who are often in on the group.   It's true that are sometimes disputes about who has a claim to a big win.  Make sure to have clear and well documented rules as to who is included in the group.  Good luck. 

Captain Lotto

"Every day is a good day!"

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
        Clarksville
        United States
        Member #487
        July 15, 2002
        17638 Posts
        Posted: February 22, 2008, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

It is easier just to go to a copy store and make your copies.  don't fool around with work email, copy machine,etc.  Say you do form a pool and distribute tickets (copies) on COMPANY time?  Say you lose..then it all comes back to bite you on the butt when you get your pink slip for using company resources without authorization..

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.