Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Geographical location and jackports.

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 9 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
bigato1010's avatar - army

United States
Member #33588
February 22, 2006
2068 Posts
Posted: February 21, 2008, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

Each time i look at the michigan lottrey website and look the winners, the winners seems to come from very small less populated cities. To be honest,  the winners come from city i never heard of and very less populated . I am trying to understand the trend behind this . This happen in your state let me know.   

San Diego, CA
    United States
    Member #58386
    February 12, 2008
    287 Posts
    Posted: February 21, 2008, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Seems that way in Virginia where I used to live and in California.  It is strange since it is more likely a largerer percentage of ticket sales probably come from the more populated areas.  Someone in the know with the California lottery said the random numbers come from the terminal, so I imagine it would be possible to program an individual terminal to give bad plays (whatever that may be).  I can't imagine though they would try and manipulate the lottery.

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
      San Jose, California
      United States
      Member #42003
      June 26, 2006
      206 Posts
      Posted: February 21, 2008, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

May be that the only way God balances the income among the cities.

bigato1010's avatar - army

United States
        Member #33588
        February 22, 2006
        2068 Posts
        Posted: February 21, 2008, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

May be that the only way God balances the income among the cities.

Happy birhday in advance Dingo hope you have a win. By the way God bless you. 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10344 Posts
          Posted: February 21, 2008, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

Quite the opposite in Illinois, seems most winners are in the Chicago area - DUH - but that is where the population is.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: February 22, 2008, 1:25 am - IP Logged

Yes, as Coin Toss wrote, the situation is just the opposite here.  Most of the year the majority of winners seem to be in Miami-Dade county.  Often if there are 5 or 6 Fantasy5 winners, 2 or more will live in Miami or one of its suburbs.   There have also been a disproportionate number of MegaMoney and Lotto winners in Miami, although it is a big hub for tourism and business.  The city of Miami itself doesn't have a huge population (about 350,000) but there are over 2 million people living in the general area which includes Miami Beach, Opa-locka & Hialeah.  (plus many undocumented workers, people living here on Visas and tourists)

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
              West Side of Sunny Florida
              United States
              Member #55048
              September 8, 2007
              3371 Posts
              Posted: February 22, 2008, 6:01 am - IP Logged

Quite the opposite in Illinois, seems most winners are in the Chicago area - DUH - but that is where the population is.

I don't know why I even bother to play ANY jackpot games in NY State as I DON"T live in NY city.  Seems like 99% of the Mega, NY Lotto & Take 5 winners come from or around NY city.  But like Coin Toss says that is were the most people are so law of averages says .... I Agree!

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3471 Posts
                Posted: February 22, 2008, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

I don't know why I even bother to play ANY jackpot games in NY State as I DON"T live in NY city.  Seems like 99% of the Mega, NY Lotto & Take 5 winners come from or around NY city.  But like Coin Toss says that is were the most people are so law of averages says .... I Agree!

Peoples' memories are notoriously inaccurate about things like that.  A lot of jackpot winners live in, or close to the city, but plenty of them live in other parts of the state, too.

United States
                  Member #22980
                  October 5, 2005
                  23 Posts
                  Posted: February 22, 2008, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

I would love to see a graphical map with points that layout where the jackpots have been won.

benmas's avatar - waveform
                    Rhode Island
                    United States
                    Member #56010
                    October 28, 2007
                    434 Posts
                    Posted: February 22, 2008, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

the spread of jp winners has nothing to do with the lottery "fixing" the quick picks to make it an even spread as some people think...it is a random game and the spread will be random...but chances are that most hits will be in places where they sell most tickets which is why big cities have more winners over time...many people also travel to a state close by to buy tickets (for pb or mega)..so it will say it hit in indiana but the person lived in ohio or similar...

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49610 Posts
                      Posted: February 22, 2008, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

The Winners live in the Country: Work in the City: Buy their Lottery Tickets where they Work.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

crystaltips's avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
                        London
                        United Kingdom
                        Member #58578
                        February 20, 2008
                        51 Posts
                        Posted: February 22, 2008, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

I'm from London, England and I notice that the main winners seem to come more rural areas also Scotland and Ireland. Places where there is very little ethnic mix.

If they do come from London, they come from the posher parts of London, like Ealing and Chelsea.

Strange that...

Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: February 22, 2008, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Peoples' memories are notoriously inaccurate about things like that.  A lot of jackpot winners live in, or close to the city, but plenty of them live in other parts of the state, too.

I'm not going to search for it, but recently an article in an Orlando newspaper, when reporting a large jackpot win, said something like "miraculously, someone won who didn't live in Miami."   Typical press release..not that 3 people in Miami won on the same night! 

TALLAHASSEE-- The Florida Lottery announced today that three players matched all five winning numbers in the Sunday, Feb. 17, FANTASY 5® drawing and will share a $198,646.74 top prize.

The lucky winners will each receive $66,215.58.

The winning FANTASY 5 numbers were:

02 - 07 - 17 - 25 - 36

The winning tickets was sold at the following locations:

Shop Mart Supermarket
                          595 Hialeah Drive
                          Hialeah (Miami-Dade County)

Government Discount - Quick Pick
                          3709 N.W. 7th Street
                          Miami (Miami-Dade County)

Sedano's Supermarket
                          831 N.E. 8th Street
                          Homestead (Miami-Dade County)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10344 Posts
                            Posted: February 22, 2008, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

This is for the Illinois Pick 5 game jackpots paid so far this year. 

(Using Pick 5 because there is a drawing daily).  

Go through the thread and see where the winners are.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/168387 

Chicago explains itself, 600 (meaning 600,601, 602, etc..) series zip codes are the Chicago area and "collar counties" (surroundoing counties).

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: February 23, 2008, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Today I thought I'd check to see where the Florida MegaMoney ticket for $900,000 was sold.  I'm surprised I remembered this thread since I have such an "inaccurate memory" but just FYI  (just a coincidence, I'm sure.  LOL) 

The Florida Lottery announced today that one player matched all four numbers plus the MEGABALL® in the Friday, Feb. 22, MEGA MONEY™ drawing and will win a guaranteed $900,000 jackpot.

The winning MEGA MONEY numbers were:

05 - 08 - 16 - 29 and the MEGABALL® was 06

The winning ticket was sold at the following location:

Tamiami Airport Service Center - Quick Pick
                              13595 S.W. 137th Avenue
                              Miami (Miami-Dade County)