Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 4:16 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Low Numbers in MM Drawing tonigh

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2008, 12:19 am - IP Logged

With these low numbers I am assuming that someone will have won it.  I mean no number higher than 22.  So many birthday combos and such could contain those numbers.  My easy picks netted me $3.  I am hoping for a roll but I doubt it will happen.

Brad

new york
    United States
    Member #58174
    February 4, 2008
    4 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2008, 12:39 am - IP Logged

Mega millions is 12 million now

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19903 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2008, 12:44 am - IP Logged

With these low numbers I am assuming that someone will have won it.  I mean no number higher than 22.  So many birthday combos and such could contain those numbers.  My easy picks netted me $3.  I am hoping for a roll but I doubt it will happen.

Brad

02/08/05 -  08 11 14 23 25  +21   

The same thing happened three years ago on 02/08/05 before the last matrix change and nobody won but the jackpot was smaller so there might have been less tickets sold.  Ohio have the next jackpot at $12M.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8395 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2008, 12:48 am - IP Logged

Brad

i wonder why people say this Birthday numbers.

Isn't it possible that people might put the month, day, and year they were born as well as their age. Using this idea all numbers between 1 and 56 are open for buisness. People do end up using many combinations of birthdates on playslips.

If you choose to specify the numbers yourself, you select five distinct numbers between 1 and 56, and one "Mega Ball" number between 1 and 46.

San Diego, CA
          United States
          Member #58386
          February 12, 2008
          290 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2008, 2:14 am - IP Logged

02/08/05 -  08 11 14 23 25  +21   

The same thing happened three years ago on 02/08/05 before the last matrix change and nobody won but the jackpot was smaller so there might have been less tickets sold.  Ohio have the next jackpot at $12M.

It has been a while since the numbers have all been this low.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19903 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2008, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

This disproves the myth about having to split the jackpot if it's won using low numbers.  There was only one winning ticket.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2008, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

i wonder why people say this Birthday numbers.

Isn't it possible that people might put the month, day, and year they were born as well as their age. Using this idea all numbers between 1 and 56 are open for buisness. People do end up using many combinations of birthdates on playslips.

If you choose to specify the numbers yourself, you select five distinct numbers between 1 and 56, and one "Mega Ball" number between 1 and 46.

Probably because when they interview the winners, a lot of them say they played their birthday numbers or family and friends birthday numbers. Of course that isn't always the case.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
                Member #57372
                January 2, 2008
                10 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2008, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

This disproves the myth about having to split the jackpot if it's won using low numbers.  There was only one winning ticket.

Something being more likely is not the same as it being guaranteed. It's just like your signature says: what happens most is most likely to happen again, but it's not going to happen every time.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3501 Posts
                  Posted: February 24, 2008, 3:07 am - IP Logged

I've never heard a claim that birthday numbers means  having  to share  the  jackpot. OTOH, if players are more likely to use birthday numbers then there  is  a greater chance of sharing the jackpot with numbers like we saw in  this drawing.

About102 million tickets were sold for this drawing. If there were noduplicate combinations at all that would have been just under 60% ofthe possible combinations in play.  If those combinations weredistributed uniformly, each combination of the 5 regular balls would have been played just under 60% of 46 (the number of mega balls), which is 27.6.  43 tickets  matched all 5 white balls, so that means that  7,12,13,19,22 was played 50% more thanif  there  had been a uniform distribution. It could berandom probability that did it, but more likely it's a good indicationthat a disproportionate number of people choose birthday numbers. If only 28 mega balls were played with that combination, 15 of the 43tickets would have resulted in at least 2 winners sharing the jackpot.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7344 Posts
                    Posted: February 25, 2008, 9:09 am - IP Logged

I've never heard a claim that birthday numbers means  having  to share  the  jackpot. OTOH, if players are more likely to use birthday numbers then there  is  a greater chance of sharing the jackpot with numbers like we saw in  this drawing.

About102 million tickets were sold for this drawing. If there were noduplicate combinations at all that would have been just under 60% ofthe possible combinations in play.  If those combinations weredistributed uniformly, each combination of the 5 regular balls would have been played just under 60% of 46 (the number of mega balls), which is 27.6.  43 tickets  matched all 5 white balls, so that means that  7,12,13,19,22 was played 50% more thanif  there  had been a uniform distribution. It could berandom probability that did it, but more likely it's a good indicationthat a disproportionate number of people choose birthday numbers. If only 28 mega balls were played with that combination, 15 of the 43tickets would have resulted in at least 2 winners sharing the jackpot.

There are 170,000 combinations with all numbers under 32 and only 26,334 under 23 so it looks like the "extra" 5 + 0 winners were manual picks. Matching 5 paid over $600,000 in California on Tuesday and $159,000 on Friday.

The jackpot winner used 6 birthday numbers but they could have matched the same 6 numbers and only won $150.