Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Better odds??

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 9 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
Riverside, Ca
United States
Member #21722
September 14, 2005
173 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2008, 1:58 am - IP Logged

I know the odds of winning any lottery game is like a 1,000,000,000 to 1, but i was wondering, do you think your odds go up or down or stay the same when there are alot more people playing? take the MM jackpot for example.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1958 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2008, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

I know the odds of winning any lottery game is like a 1,000,000,000 to 1, but i was wondering, do you think your odds go up or down or stay the same when there are alot more people playing? take the MM jackpot for example.

It doesn't. The only thing that can affect YOUR odds are the number of tickets you buy. However, when the jackpot is lower, the odds of you sharing the jackpot is smaller since there are less people playing.

Gonna win.Big Smile

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2008, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

The odds don't change no matter how many people play. 

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19895 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2008, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

The odds that somebody will wins are better when more people play but the odds that is will be you stays the same.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3502 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2008, 2:41 am - IP Logged

It doesn't. The only thing that can affect YOUR odds are the number of tickets you buy. However, when the jackpot is lower, the odds of you sharing the jackpot is smaller since there are less people playing.

Even for fairly big jackpots, the probability of multiple winners is fairly low. For the probability of 2 winners to be greater than one winner we'd have to be well into new record territory.When the jackpot is "only" 20 million there's absolutely no chance ofwinning 30 milion.  Anyone who  concentrates their plays onsmall jackpots thinking they're more likely to be the only winner ismaking a mistake.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: February 24, 2008, 2:48 am - IP Logged

As everyone already wrote, the odds stay the same.  Usually there is only one winner in a jackpot game with odds over 1 in 100 million. 

When the jackpot is "only" 20 million there's absolutely no chance ofwinning 30 milion. 

I do agree with KY Floyd on this, although I can actually feel his sarcasm.

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3502 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2008, 3:13 am - IP Logged

There was no sarcasm in that post. It was a simple statement of factthat's directly related to the sentence that follows it. Perhaps thesarcasm you're feeling is  a product of your own interpretation.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1958 Posts
                Posted: February 24, 2008, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Even for fairly big jackpots, the probability of multiple winners is fairly low. For the probability of 2 winners to be greater than one winner we'd have to be well into new record territory.When the jackpot is "only" 20 million there's absolutely no chance ofwinning 30 milion.  Anyone who  concentrates their plays onsmall jackpots thinking they're more likely to be the only winner ismaking a mistake.

Anyone who  concentrates their plays onsmall jackpots thinking they're more likely to be the only winner ismaking a mistake.

That's not what I concentrate on. I was simply answering the OP's question, and YES, there is a higher chance of sharing the jackpot when the jackpot is higher because more people are playing. All I did was answer the question. There's too many on this people on this forum that assume when another person answer's a question, that THEY THEMSELF rely on that information when determining if/when/how they play. NO, IT'S NOT. I'M JUST ANSWERING THE QUESTION.

Gonna win.Big Smile

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3502 Posts
                  Posted: February 25, 2008, 2:57 am - IP Logged

I didn't suggest that you, or anyone else, concentrates on smalljackpots. I simply pointed out that Even for fairly big jackpots, theprobability of multiple winners is fairly low, and that for smalljackpots the possibility of winning alarge jackpot is non-existent.

Yourodds of winning depend entirely on the game odds and how many chances*you* have. How much you might win depends on th ejackpot and thechances of sharing it if you win. Even if there was a good chance ofsharing with another winner you'd win more with a 100 million dollarjackpot than one for 30 or 40 million. Being aware that there's morechance of sharing with a large jackpot is fine, but I certainlywouldn't let that affect my betting.