Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

legal requirement

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 9 years ago by EXMECHANIC.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
alexandria
United States
Member #58809
February 26, 2008
1 Posts
Posted: February 26, 2008, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Is it a legal requirement to come forward publicly after winning??

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10392 Posts
    Posted: February 26, 2008, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

It varies state by state, a few states let you remain anonymous.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: February 26, 2008, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

As Coin Toss wrote, there are some states that will protect your identity.  We've had many threads about this subject.  The best thing to do is check your state lottery's web site and look in the FAQs section.  It seems to be a common question on most sites.

Depending on the jackpot size, the press will also put your name on the front page, especially on a slow news day.  Not long ago, a local winner who didn't want to talk to the press was pestered. He didn't speak much Engish, so his son came to the door and told the reporter to leave. They still listed the name of the street he lives on and described his home. 

From the FL site:

Q. Can Lottery winners remain anonymous?

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
        Member #55246
        September 20, 2007
        225 Posts
        Posted: February 26, 2008, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

This is from the Ca Lottery website:

What Personal Information Is Subject To Public Disclosure?

As a state agency, the California Lottery is subject to public disclosure laws that allow access to certain governmental records.Your name, the name and location of the retailer who sold the winning ticket, the date you won, and the amount of your winnings, including your gross and net installment payments, are matters of public record and are subject to disclosure.The Lottery may release additional information if legally mandated or upon your request.

If your name is like mine (one of the 10 most common first names and last names in the US- I googled my name and found hundreds of hits), you can remain anonymous. They can give your name but not your location, only the location of the retailer who sold you the winning ticket.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7344 Posts
          Posted: February 26, 2008, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

You'll probably need a photo ID when you cash in your ticket. How much of that information is given out by the lottery commission depends on the individual state. The Lotteries belong to the states and the names and addresses of jackpot winners are public record. Check the requirements in the state where you bought your ticket for press conferences.

All that information is available on your state lottery's website.

I've always wondered why so many people play lottery games and have no idea of what they are playing. Many years ago a co-worker showed me a lotto ticket and said "look at that, I matched 5 of the numbers but they weren't in the correct order"; his wife had written the numbers down in the order they were drawn.

I guess that's why we have millions of dollars in unclaimed lottery prizes,

Los Angeles CA
            United States
            Member #55727
            October 16, 2007
            195 Posts
            Posted: February 27, 2008, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

I found it interesting this morning on the CA lotto website, the press release for last weeks 80 million winner. They let the 80 million winner remain anonymous, while telling her story of how she found out she won and only releasing the store where the ticket was bought at, I wonder how that worked out?

EXMECHANIC

"My dollar buys hope, what does yours do?"