Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much will you give to your charity if you win big ?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
CA
United States
Member #57222
December 23, 2007
587 Posts
Posted: February 27, 2008, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't give any to charity, because I know by experience the majority of them abuse money, and only use a small amount of that money to help people. So in that case, I would hand pick whom I wanted to be charitable to! I think I would do a better job at helping people myself than to hand over that kind of money to a charity!

I agree,

Kinda.  I wouldn't give a dime to the "standard" charities that the world knows about because the money doesn't go where you think.  What I would  do is donate to the local charities that I know exists which directly helps the people.  I heard of lottery winners walking into a shelter where they themselves lives before finding their way and giving them money-I would do something along those lines.  Plus this year I actually "adopted" a child for xmas. If I won the lottery I would probably adobt a  whole family or even a few for xmas. I saw that on TCL's $Million Dollar Xmas.  I would love to do that.  I can't afford a whole family right now.  But I will always adopt a single child.  That was fun.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19901 Posts
    Posted: February 27, 2008, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

My charity is me, so I won't have a problem deciding how much to give to my charity.  It's those other charities run by people I don't know that will be the problem.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bigato1010's avatar - army

United States
      Member #33588
      February 22, 2006
      2068 Posts
      Posted: March 2, 2008, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

My charity is me, so I won't have a problem deciding how much to give to my charity.  It's those other charities run by people I don't know that will be the problem.

I understand where you coming fro rjoh , i been disappointed with charity such as "feed the children'' who claims they send money to Africa to help feed the kids down there . This is nothing but child exploitation. The organization benefit a lot from sympathizers who give big money. Charity organizations are the middleman to the issue at hand. This mean that it makes sense  to directly eliminate the middleman.  

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2008, 2:25 am - IP Logged

Those look like the same children they were feeding 20 years ago.

You'd think by now they'd have figured out to quit making so many of them.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10392 Posts
          Posted: March 3, 2008, 2:45 am - IP Logged

I think the way the financial "big boys" would do it is to set up a trust that keeps giving to the chosen charity.

A person who did that, for the same amount that a person who would give that amount one time, gives a lot more over the long run - or so the story goes.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
            PA
            United States
            Member #22983
            October 6, 2005
            2226 Posts
            Posted: March 3, 2008, 3:36 am - IP Logged

Same thing charities gave me when I was dirt poor and had absolutely nothing, ZERO. However that does not mean I will not help certain others who I feel deserve it or start my own organization if I feel compelled. Funny thing is these so-called charities don't seem to exist when you have nothing and are down on your luck. But they like to come knocking when you do have something.

I will have no problem showing them it works both ways. I am not obligated to give them or anyone else for that matter crap. It is sad that society is brainwashed into believing this is how it should be. I give enough away as it is with my purchases at thrift stores. Not your typical answer you want to hear, but an honest one.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: March 3, 2008, 4:38 am - IP Logged

I just can't believe some of the posts I'm reading here.  Such bitterness.   I hope everyone enjoyed their dinner tonight and is sleeping soundly now in their nice warm beds.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: March 3, 2008, 5:00 am - IP Logged

What dinner? My room is very cold. As stated already, a lot of charities are nothing more than scam artists. In my area this lady even created fake sick kids for "Fake a wish foundation" and used $200,000 or so for luxurious vacations. Money that probably many could not afford to give but did. That is the brutal and cold honesty of this world, and not the fake heart-warming fantasy that most want to believe.

I would not have a problem however donating to food banks and churches who give away food. But I am not going to give to charities who take about 80% of the top for themselves first. I would create my own foundation before that. Speaking of child exploitation, anyone ever see that idiot on that commercial for the Christian Children's Fund? He does his best to make you feel guilty and like trash if you do not agree to send money for kids who do not even know you exist, and probably never actually will.

I doubt they even speak English or know what he is saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_aRUUdEFRY

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Christian+Children%27s+Fund&search_type=

Using terms like "you will call because you have a heart" etc. I can't stand people like that, and in my case he hurt his chances even more so with all the BS he spews. Guess I should have made a commercial as well during my tough times asking for a hand out. No, I would rather pull myself out of it by hard work and a strong desire to succeed, as I did. It is quite sad how people want to have 10 kids and not be responsible for them, and expect others to send money in the mail.

Guess they live in a fantasy world as well.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: March 3, 2008, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

I wasn't talking about you.  It was a general statement.  This happened last night on another thread.  People on this board are very angry and bitter.  "I haven't had it so great, so let everyone else go to hell." Sorry you were down & out and didn't get the help you asked for.  I am not judging you...but I have heard this from others, and when I ask "Did you seek help?" the answer is usually "No, I didn't know where to go."  For people to get what they need, they have to ask.  It doesn't always work and people are turned away hungry & sick.  That's why it's important to work within your community.  As you said, you could donate money to a food bank.  I would never tell anyone how to spend his or her money.  It's none of my business.

"It is quite sad how people want to have 10 kids and not be responsible for them, and expect others to send money in the mail."

I don't want to support irresponsible lifestyles or ignorance either.  But why punish the children?

What I find to be ironic is that many people say they won't give to charity because of all the scams they hear about, when the question is about winning the lottery. 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #56506
                    November 21, 2007
                    6537 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2008, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

I wasn't talking about you.  It was a general statement.  This happened last night on another thread.  People on this board are very angry and bitter.  "I haven't had it so great, so let everyone else go to hell." Sorry you were down & out and didn't get the help you asked for.  I am not judging you...but I have heard this from others, and when I ask "Did you seek help?" the answer is usually "No, I didn't know where to go."  For people to get what they need, they have to ask.  It doesn't always work and people are turned away hungry & sick.  That's why it's important to work within your community.  As you said, you could donate money to a food bank.  I would never tell anyone how to spend his or her money.  It's none of my business.

"It is quite sad how people want to have 10 kids and not be responsible for them, and expect others to send money in the mail."

I don't want to support irresponsible lifestyles or ignorance either.  But why punish the children?

What I find to be ironic is that many people say they won't give to charity because of all the scams they hear about, when the question is about winning the lottery. 

It seems to be a trend lately. I actually like giving to the food bank. I know that the food that my family gives to them will be giving to those who needs it. There are lots of causes that someone can help and it doesn't necessarily require giving them money. I think the biggest thing is checking out the "charity" and making sure it is legit. If I won a big jackpot, there are a few organizations that I could give to (people and animals). I'm  not trying to sound holier-than-thou or anything, but I hate the attitude that every organization out there is corrupt. 

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                      Member #13130
                      March 30, 2005
                      2171 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2008, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

"I haven't had it so great, so let everyone else go to hell." Green laugh

Well, "punishment" would be the taking away of something rightfully belonging to them. That's different. When I have to pay to feed Maria's 8 "ninos", that I didn't help make, that is punishment.

Not every community is the same, but in some places people become parents just to get a welfare check precisely because they can hold up the child as being "punished" if alms are withheld. Talk to social workers and teachers.

Many years ago, word got around that a certain midwestern state (either MN?? or WI??) had more generous welfare benefits than the nearby states. They had a massive influx of people from those states. Think about it for a minute, these people scraped up enough money to move from one state to another, not for work but so they could have an easier go of sitting on their duff ... when not firing out more kids like Jiffy-Pop. 

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10392 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2008, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Charities rated:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=67 

and here: 

http://www.charitywatch.org/ 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.