Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Senior Moment

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 9 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: February 28, 2008, 12:18 am - IP Logged

On Tuesday evening I purchased my daily Fantasy 5 ticket, and believe it or not, I didn't even have one lousy dollar in my wallet.  This has never happened to me before.  How embarrassing! Fortunately, nobody was in back of me.  :-)   

The clerk at Albertson's asked me if I had a debit card and told me to swipe it and enter my PIN.  I asked for cash back too (why not?) and she gave me a ticket, $10 and a receipt for $11.   It said "Lottery Purchase $1.00 "

I never realized debit cards are accepted in Florida.  Did she just do me a favor? 

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7297 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2008, 1:40 am - IP Logged

On Tuesday evening I purchased my daily Fantasy 5 ticket, and believe it or not, I didn't even have one lousy dollar in my wallet.  This has never happened to me before.  How embarrassing! Fortunately, nobody was in back of me.  :-)   

The clerk at Albertson's asked me if I had a debit card and told me to swipe it and enter my PIN.  I asked for cash back too (why not?) and she gave me a ticket, $10 and a receipt for $11.   It said "Lottery Purchase $1.00 "

I never realized debit cards are accepted in Florida.  Did she just do me a favor? 

Most stores in Ohio take debit cards.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
      Tx
      United States
      Member #4570
      May 4, 2004
      5180 Posts
      Posted: February 28, 2008, 1:46 am - IP Logged

Most stores in Ohio take debit cards.

Here on Tx you can buy lottery tickets with debit cards.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10345 Posts
        Posted: February 28, 2008, 2:12 am - IP Logged

Justxploring 

"I never realized debit cards are accepted in Florida.  Did she just do me a favor? "

Or a tremendous disservice!

Hiding Behind Computer

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: February 28, 2008, 2:44 am - IP Logged

Debit cards are essentially cash, and Coin Toss is right that it could have been a disservice. Unlike a credit card, you can't spend money you don't have, but like a credit card, you can spend money and not see it leaving your wallet. For a lot of people that makes it too easy to spend more than they need to. For others it's a way of avoiding huge finance charges from excessive credit card use.

FWIW, some time back a poster observed that you can use a credit card to buy a store gift card, and then (immediately) use that to buy lottery tickets.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: February 28, 2008, 9:12 am - IP Logged

I haven't tried buying lottery tickets with a debit card, but I don't see why not. Like KY Floyd said, it is basically cash. On the other hand, I know you ae not allowed to buy tickets with a credit card.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              CA
              United States
              Member #57222
              December 23, 2007
              587 Posts
              Posted: February 28, 2008, 9:51 am - IP Logged

We can do it in Cali  too,  If i'm not mistaken only credit cards are unnacceptable.

LottoVantage's avatar - BRITIS 3.GIF
                Southeastern Ohio
                United States
                Member #13850
                April 16, 2005
                783 Posts
                Posted: February 28, 2008, 10:19 am - IP Logged

I only use my debit card for debit activity at my banks ATM. If I use it in a store or whatever, I use it as a credit card. Why? Because anyone around you including the clerk can steal your PIN number and play havoc with your bank account. When used as credit no PIN number is required.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                  Member #5344
                  June 30, 2004
                  23641 Posts
                  Posted: February 28, 2008, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

We take checks and debit cards to play the lotto.  Considered Cash...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5114 Posts
                    Posted: February 28, 2008, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

the best Senior Moment anyone could have is for:

Senior #1 to wake-up in bed and tell Senior #2...........JACKPOTo!o

the next best Senior Moment is to tell #1 that they LISTEN >TOO>

PartyTHE FABRIC.com

Party

LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JACKPOT$$$$$

PSYKOMO 

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                      Magnolia, Delaware
                      United States
                      Member #18795
                      July 20, 2005
                      789 Posts
                      Posted: February 28, 2008, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

Here in Delaware no lottery purchase is allowed with a debit card (CASH ONLY)!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: February 29, 2008, 3:05 am - IP Logged

Since you can get a cash advance with your debit card, not allowing certain types of purchases with it is rather pointless. In many places there will be an ATM only a few feet from the lottery terminal anyway. It seems to me that makes it even more ridicuous than laws banning alcohol sales before noon on Sunday, which is nothing but dicrimination aginst people who don't plan ahead.