Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Beware Of Fraudulent Prize Letters

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 9 years ago by konane.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
bootleg233's avatar - Lottery-034.jpg
Tn
United States
Member #54963
September 4, 2007
1164 Posts
Posted: February 29, 2008, 9:30 am - IP Logged

From The Tn Lottery website.......Can you believe some people would think they have to PAY FEES for something they won!!!!! Sad Sad WorldDisapprove

NASHVILLE—Tennesseans are asked to beware of letters suggesting they have won a prize in the popular lottery game Powerball. Several Tennessee residents have reported receiving such letters, which also include a request for the recipient to use an enclosed check to pay fees to claim their winnings.
The Tennessee Lottery never requires fees to claim a prize and asks that anyone who receives such a letter report it by calling Tennessee Lottery Security, 615-324-6688. You may also report fraud by visiting www.usps.com. Once at that webpage, go to the bottom of the page and click on “Postal Inspectors.” Next, click on "Investigations," then select “Mail Fraud.”
Since the Tennessee Lottery began selling tickets on Jan. 20, 2004, it has raised more than $1 billion to fund specific education programs, including college scholarships, pre-kindergarten and after-school programs. For more information, please visit www.tnlottery.com. For information about Lottery-funded scholarships, visit www.collegepaystn.com.

WHEN IT FEELS THE WHOLE WORLD SUCKS!

RELAX.........IT'S ONLY GRAVITY Big Smile

I think I can I think I can!!!!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: February 29, 2008, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Someone who knows they didn't play Powerball would also know that there is no way they could have won a prize and would not try to cash the check. But then this particular scam is less effective on honest people.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

bootleg233's avatar - Lottery-034.jpg
      Tn
      United States
      Member #54963
      September 4, 2007
      1164 Posts
      Posted: February 29, 2008, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

Someone who knows they didn't play Powerball would also know that there is no way they could have won a prize and would not try to cash the check. But then this particular scam is less effective on honest people.

I Agree!   Oh soooo true........

WHEN IT FEELS THE WHOLE WORLD SUCKS!

RELAX.........IT'S ONLY GRAVITY Big Smile

I think I can I think I can!!!!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: February 29, 2008, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

We've gotten the same type of warnings in FL.  It's always best to check your tickets and your numbers on Lottery Post first! 

Time*treat, what makes you think the people who fall for scams are dishonest? Someone who plays might get confused and fall for a scam.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: February 29, 2008, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

You know, when you drop little phrases out of the statement, it materially changes the meaning. I haven't decided yet if you do this on purpose. I specifically said people who didn't play, and I said "less effective".

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23275 Posts
            Posted: February 29, 2008, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

If someone asks you if an e-mail or letter is real, just tell them to go to www.usamega.com/lottery-scams.asp.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4532 Posts
              Posted: March 2, 2008, 1:19 am - IP Logged

On a side note, there are fees. Its called Uncle Sam. He is always 1/3 partner for winners. I'd like to see his claim form though. And if he is a silent partner I want to claim him on my tax exemption form and send him a 1099 for looting from my overall winnings!

(this message is for humor only, not to be confused with those that take the games and rules seriously) 

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                NC
                United States
                Member #11741
                February 23, 2005
                1233 Posts
                Posted: March 2, 2008, 2:14 am - IP Logged

If someone asks you if an e-mail or letter is real, just tell them to go to www.usamega.com/lottery-scams.asp.

Thanks for this information, I didn't know about that site.  When I got an email from NC lottery telling me that I had won a Carolina Hurricanes prize pack, I called the NC lottery and found out that it was a valid email.  It came from a NC lottery survey I filled out on the Pick 3.  The merchandise arrived in 3 weeks, I didn't have to pay a shipping fee (The gaming company did that) and let me say that it is quality merchandise that I would have spent hundreds of dollars for if brought separately.

konane's avatar - wallace
                  Atlanta, GA
                  United States
                  Member #1265
                  March 13, 2003
                  3333 Posts
                  Posted: March 2, 2008, 9:20 am - IP Logged

Thanks for this information, I didn't know about that site.  When I got an email from NC lottery telling me that I had won a Carolina Hurricanes prize pack, I called the NC lottery and found out that it was a valid email.  It came from a NC lottery survey I filled out on the Pick 3.  The merchandise arrived in 3 weeks, I didn't have to pay a shipping fee (The gaming company did that) and let me say that it is quality merchandise that I would have spent hundreds of dollars for if brought separately.

Congratulations on your prize pack!  And no on a legitimate win from a reputable sponsor you do not have to pay for shipping or any other fee, other than being responsible for taxes on it.

Excerpt from the Direct Marketers Association website. 

"........More on Sweepstakes:

* A "sweepstakes" is a game of chance one plays voluntarily and for which one is not required to pay anything to enter in order to win a prize.
                      * Sweepstakes mailings must disclose:

1. That a purchase is not necessary to enter, and will not improve the chances of winning. These disclosures must appear in the mailing, in the rules and on the entry form and be very easy to find, read and understand;
                           2. A name and business address where the sponsor can be contacted;
                           3. The estimated odds of winning each prize. If the odds depend upon the number of entries, the stated odds should be based on an estimate of the number of entries;
                           4. The quantity, estimated retail value and nature of every prize;
                           5. A clear statement of the payment schedule of any prize. For example, if a $1 million prize is to be awarded in equal payments over 20 years, the disclosure should indicate that the $1 million shall be paid in equal amounts of $50,000 per year for 20 years starting in 2000.

o Mailings are prohibited that:
                                 1. Say or suggest that if a person doesn't buy a product or service he or she may not receive future sweepstakes mailings;
                                 2. Require that an entry be accompanied by an order or payment for something previously ordered;
                                 3. Say that an individual has won a prize when, in fact, that individual hasn't won. (Sponsors of sweepstakes should not confuse premiums, which are given to all entrants, with prizes, which are won by only some entrants. Premiums should not be held out as prizes.)
                                 4. Say anything to contradict or limit the rules of the sweepstakes or disclosures required by this law.  ............."

http://www.the-dma.org/guidelines/sweepstakesdosdonts.shtml

Good luck to everyone!