Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Lottery and Desperation

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #57140
December 19, 2007
3 Posts
Posted: February 29, 2008, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

So, I am obviously new to this forum and just like everyone else here, would love to someday win the "big one." As I have been searching this forum I have noticed an underlying theme, a lot of the people on here seem to be really desperate to win. With so many people asking about methods, dream interpretations and other systems, it makes me wonder how people have become so desperate to win that they think they can beat a system that is totally random.  Sure, you occassionally hear about the person who won a large jackpot that says, " I had a dream I was going to win," or " I prayed about it," or even " I had developed a system," but these are just a few people out of the millions who play and im sure that a lot of people who play dreamt about about it or even prayed about it.   

Sooner or later someone has to win. I doubt it is because a person had a system or that they had a vision. It is all just a coincidence. Luck is luck.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: February 29, 2008, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Today Chippie also wrote about this subject.  I also hope people aren't depending on the Lottery to have a good life.  It gives people false hope.  The Lottery is a game.  (Still, it's a game that could change your whole life!)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19898 Posts
      Posted: February 29, 2008, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

I spend weekly about the same amount trying to win a lottery as some guys spend on beer trying to get drunk.   Only different is the guy buying the beer knows he going to get drunk and I don't know if I'm going to win a jackpot.  When it all said and done, if I don't win then we both have pissed our money away.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        CA
        United States
        Member #57222
        December 23, 2007
        587 Posts
        Posted: February 29, 2008, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

I spend weekly about the same amount trying to win a lottery as some guys spend on beer trying to get drunk.   Only different is the guy buying the beer knows he going to get drunk and I don't know if I'm going to win a jackpot.  When it all said and done, if I don't win then we both have pissed our money away.

I couldn't have said any better myself.  I Agree!

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: February 29, 2008, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

I don't agree. Atleast the guy who got drunk got some enjoyment for his money. Not that people who buy tickets don't get enjoyment in the hope of winning, but your last line is what I disagree with.

It's like saying that someone crapped their money away because they bought food and ate it.

I know what you're thinking....lol Food is a necessity.

Well....to some people liquor is a also a necessity.....Wink     Cheers

It's FRIDAY Whooo Hoooooo!......

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: February 29, 2008, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

So, I am obviously new to this forum and just like everyone else here, would love to someday win the "big one." As I have been searching this forum I have noticed an underlying theme, a lot of the people on here seem to be really desperate to win. With so many people asking about methods, dream interpretations and other systems, it makes me wonder how people have become so desperate to win that they think they can beat a system that is totally random.  Sure, you occassionally hear about the person who won a large jackpot that says, " I had a dream I was going to win," or " I prayed about it," or even " I had developed a system," but these are just a few people out of the millions who play and im sure that a lot of people who play dreamt about about it or even prayed about it.   

Sooner or later someone has to win. I doubt it is because a person had a system or that they had a vision. It is all just a coincidence. Luck is luck.

I wouldn't think people are desperate to win.  I find the challenge to be what keeps me playing.  If I never win, things won't change.  If I do win, things won't change.  I will still test the challenge.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: February 29, 2008, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't consider it pissing my money away.  I have seen the changes that the lottery in TN has done for the schools.  So when I spend $10...  and lose,  the money is going for a great cause.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: February 29, 2008, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

You're funny, RJOh.  Last night I had some grand marnier, so where does that put me?  Smiley

Actually, the lottery is probably less harmful than drinking booze.  It doesn't cause liver disease, chances are if you buy too many lottery tickets one night, you won't kill someone in a car crash or beat up your wife or kids.  One of my neighbors fell over bass ackwards & broke her hip after finishing a 6 pack.   I suppose if you won a big jackpot, you could do that fainting from shock, which is why I always check my numbers online when I'm sitting.  

bigato1010's avatar - army

United States
                  Member #33588
                  February 22, 2006
                  2068 Posts
                  Posted: February 29, 2008, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

Hey i bet you i have won lottrey many times than the Detroit Lions( i know we got a  bad team )wining a typical game lol. How many poeple knew that the Newyork Giants was going to beat the almighty New England Patroits ? Lottrey is like sports anything is possible, win some loose some.   

colthmn's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg
                    Inglewood
                    United States
                    Member #41769
                    June 22, 2006
                    122 Posts
                    Posted: February 29, 2008, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

I had been a big beer drinker for many years. The last 2 yrs. or so I'm down to almost no drinking.Needless to say I always have extra money. For me now It's about balance. Stash a little cash away, store a case of food in a closet, and play lotto with the rest! In a couple of yrs. a closet full of canned goods etc. will be a good thing!! Last night I went shopping and a doz. of eggs was$2.69, I

was stunned. I normally pay $.99 per doz for 3 doz. mthly. I bought 1 doz. That's it for the month.

I've gotten more careful, but I still allot a certain amount for lotto. So for me it's not so much desperation, but I do have hope, and surely some fun is in this!

United States
                      Member #57140
                      December 19, 2007
                      3 Posts
                      Posted: February 29, 2008, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

I know what you guys mean. Im a lottery player myself and I also set a small amount of money aside each week to play. I feel like it is a challenge too. I want to win just so I can say that I won. It just seems that some people on here go a little to far to try and "beat" the system.

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: February 29, 2008, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

"I prayed about it"

I just want to add that I read that a lot too.  The statement is ridiculous, not because they aren't telling the truth, because they probably did pray about it. But who doesn't ask for help in one way or another? I am sure that millions of people every week who buy tickets close their eyes and ask for a break.  I don't mean to start a religious debate (we've already had enough of those!) but whether or not you believe in a God or Higher Power, you've got to agree that He/She has enough prayers to answer like "please cure my child's cancer" or "please bring my son back from Iraq in one piece" or "please help me find a job" or "please don't let the bank take away my house."  The lottery just doesn't seem to be a priority in my book.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #56506
                          November 21, 2007
                          6537 Posts
                          Posted: February 29, 2008, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! I'd rather spend my money on lottery tickets then cigarettes, or alcohol.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7343 Posts
                            Posted: February 29, 2008, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

"So, I am obviously new to this forum and just like everyone else here, would love to someday win the "big one." As I have been searching this forum I have noticed an underlying theme, a lot of the people on here seem to be really desperate to win."

For the heck of it, I just clicked on Pick-3 forum and had to go back 5 pages just to see all the posts made today by people posting about a game where the "big one" is $500. Since most people consider $1 million or more to be the "big one", let's compare that to the three threads in the Jackpot forum that were active today. Two of threads are Maddog's challenges and other is about near misses. I see no desperation in making predictions or talking about how close they came.

"With so many people asking about methods, dream interpretations and other systems, it makes me wonder how people have become so desperate to win that they think they can beat a system that is totally random."

Lotteries began as fund raisers where they sold numbered tickets, the benefactor would keep half the proceeds, draw the winning numbers, and distribute the other half as prizes. With the exception of raffles, today's lotteries allow you to chose which numbers you think will be drawn. In the huge jackpot games where the "big one" can be won, over 70% of the players still allow the seller to choose their numbers.

Since the odds of winning on any one ticket is exactly the same whether the lottery or the players choose the numbers, the only difference with using methods, playing strategies and/or systems is that it might give those players a slight edge. Are they doing it out of desperation or are they looking for a more enjoyable to play the game.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7343 Posts
                              Posted: February 29, 2008, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

If I saw that coming, I wouldn't have taken a drink while reading. That's funny!