Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

-Anonymity-

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
mn
United States
Member #59040
March 4, 2008
276 Posts
Posted: March 4, 2008, 9:52 am - IP Logged

I've been reading your guy's posts about this very subject for some time and realized that you all feel very serious about this, so I want to ask you guys a question:

Since the majority of the US states do not allow winners to remain anonymous or create legal body entities and, would you still claim the jackpot as your name or would you refuse until there would be revisions to your liking, (knowing that your winning ticket expires in approximately a year).

Pfdjr1's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
    Cambridge
    United States
    Member #59042
    March 4, 2008
    3 Posts
    Posted: March 4, 2008, 10:07 am - IP Logged

I'd be at lottery headquarters the next freakin day.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8392 Posts
      Posted: March 4, 2008, 10:31 am - IP Logged

I've been reading your guy's posts about this very subject for some time and realized that you all feel very serious about this, so I want to ask you guys a question:

Since the majority of the US states do not allow winners to remain anonymous or create legal body entities and, would you still claim the jackpot as your name or would you refuse until there would be revisions to your liking, (knowing that your winning ticket expires in approximately a year).

Probably the best thing people could do is petition the states where anonymity is not allowed. If enough people complain maybe the states will adopt a flexible policy and allow people to claim a trust. I would think that many states would realize this at this point in time but you know how bureaucrats can be.... stubborn to adopt anything that benefits it's constituents.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
        Member #567
        August 14, 2002
        485 Posts
        Posted: March 4, 2008, 11:44 am - IP Logged

You can obtain anonymity in the following states even when claiming the prize in person:

Delaware(PB)

Kansas (PB)

North Dakota (PB)

Maryland (MM)

You can obtain anonymity in the following states by using a trust:

New Hampshire (PB)

Oklahoma (PB)

Ohio (MM)

The only real solution to the problems of winning the lottery is to remain anonymous. 

Otherwise, relatives, friends, and leetches you never knew existed would appear out of nowhere.  Oh my God, I couldn't imagine what it would be like to win $15 million and the whole nation knew that I won.  Believe me, I would definitely  remain anonymous, even if it meant having to travel to a state where I can be anonymous.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: March 4, 2008, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

In Florida if you win Lotto or MegaMoney you only have 60 days from the date of the drawing to choose a lump sum or you will be collecting annual payments for 30 (Lotto) or 20 (Mega) years.  So I wouldn't wait.  Also, if you only won a small jackpot, even in a bank account, the interest on every million would be over $40,000 in a year, nothing to sneeze at.  So why lose money, put your life on hold, etc., just to remain anonymous?  People go on game shows all the time and win money and the whole world gets to see them.  Just cash in your ticket and move on so you can have a nice life.  Spending a year in court with lawyers would be costly and stressful.  Plus it would draw more attention to you, wouldn't it?  I once made a joke about becoming the most talked about winner who changed the anonymity laws. 

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
            Member #38687
            May 3, 2006
            315 Posts
            Posted: March 4, 2008, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

this is the very reason why I play in states that allow you to claim anonymous......

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10390 Posts
              Posted: March 4, 2008, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Nobody is going to hit a jackpot and watch a million or millions of dollars come and go because they do not agree with a rule.

The closer it got to the deadline, the more "no revision" would be to the winner's liking.

But there really is a need for the Lottery Jackpot Winner's Protection Program.

Other persons would represent the winners at press conferences and handle all the mail that would come in with sudden urgent pressing needs, putting the bite on the winners.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: March 4, 2008, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

I'm not scared of winning. I have no reason to hide. I understand those who have a need for anonymity, but if you play in a state that doesn't allow it, you just have to deal with it. There is no way in hades Evil Looking that I would wait to cash a winning ticket in the hopes that my state would suddenly allow me to be anonymous. No way.   

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                  mn
                  United States
                  Member #59040
                  March 4, 2008
                  276 Posts
                  Posted: March 4, 2008, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

thank you coin toss, you gave me quite a chuckle,

the, "The closer it got to the deadline, the more "no revision" would be to the winner's liking.", was hilarious.

but back to the subject, it's a matter of principle and free rights. If I dont want people to know who I am, then I dont want anybody to know who i am. I'm not going to let currency to violate what i believe in, I can easily work hard for the exact same amount or even more, just look at the richest people in the world. The chances are that they didnt come into a large sum of money, they had great business plans. If I want anonymity then i will fight for anonymity, and just like justx was saying (although it was a joke) i would be known for my cause, but in the end i like to believe I would become victorious if it should ever escalate to that degree just because of our rights.

I would not just be fighting for my rights but yours and everybody else that wins the lottery.

I know that you guys probably think that im crazy, but it has to be done, and ill be the one to set this precident. We have the only lottery in the world that supplies personal info without our permission

if i ever win the lottery and this situation arise, you will know that the defendant will be me!

md
                    United States
                    Member #14047
                    April 20, 2005
                    580 Posts
                    Posted: March 4, 2008, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

You can obtain anonymity in the following states even when claiming the prize in person:

Delaware(PB)

Kansas (PB)

North Dakota (PB)

Maryland (MM)

You can obtain anonymity in the following states by using a trust:

New Hampshire (PB)

Oklahoma (PB)

Ohio (MM)

The only real solution to the problems of winning the lottery is to remain anonymous. 

Otherwise, relatives, friends, and leetches you never knew existed would appear out of nowhere.  Oh my God, I couldn't imagine what it would be like to win $15 million and the whole nation knew that I won.  Believe me, I would definitely  remain anonymous, even if it meant having to travel to a state where I can be anonymous.

Because I am in Maryland, you best believe, no one would ever know that I claimed a jackpot.  Don't have but a few relatives, and fewer friends.  Most importantly, I would give away about 20% over my lifetime and/or over my wife's lifetime, and so my involvement in charity work would also impact my decision to stay anonomous.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                      Member #47420
                      November 4, 2006
                      3930 Posts
                      Posted: March 4, 2008, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

I live in Ky and you don't have to tell the world who you are..I'd go the next day sign up for my money put it in the bank as soon as I got it then worry about finding help to invest it or take care of it.TRAVEL is my number one thing to do..

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7341 Posts
                        Posted: March 4, 2008, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

Unless the jackpot winner can walk into the lottery office wearing a disguise, hand them the winning ticket, the lottery deducts all state and federal taxes, and hands them a big bag of money without any identification, there is no anonymity. There are some states like Ohio that won't divulge winners' identity upon request, but they will publish the name and city of the agent selling the winning ticket.

If a jackpot winner wants to wait a couple of weeks before cashing their tickets, there is always the possibility the store owner or clerks might divulge the identity believing the player doesn't know they have a winning ticket. That actually happened in California but the question of a player giving up their right to privacy by buying the ticket was never answered.

You won't find property transactions, Vidal statistics, hospital admissions and releases, tax delinquencies, or the police blotter on the front page, but it's all public record and is printed in newspapers. Lotteries are state agencies so the question really is, should a jackpot winner have a special right to privacy the others don't?

"would you still claim the jackpot as your name or would you refuse until there would be revisions to your liking, (knowing that your winning ticket expires in approximately a year)."

Do you really believe somebody would give up a multi-million dollar jackpot just because they don't like the rules that existed when they bought their ticket?