Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 1:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How do I determine the interest rate received on annual payments?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 9 years ago by time*treat.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
San Diego, CA
United States
Member #58386
February 12, 2008
290 Posts
Posted: March 4, 2008, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

If the annual payments total $9 million over 26 years and the lump sum is $5.3 million, how do I determine the interest rate received?

San Diego, CA
    United States
    Member #58386
    February 12, 2008
    290 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2008, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

(bump).  Does anyone have any insight on this?  The quesion might need clarrification.

If the annual payments total $9 million over 26 years and the lump sum is $5.3 million, how do I determine the interest rate received if I take the annjual payments.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2008, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

Depends what you mean. If you take $9M and divide by 26 you get about $346K a year. So the rate on $9M each year would be is 3.85% since 9,000,000 x 3.85% = $346,500 

If you took the lump sum, your interest rate would vary depending on your investments.  Averaging 6% a year for 12 years doubles your money.   Investing in stocks, commodities, real estate, etc. should increase that amount substantially, but there is always some risk. 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10390 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2008, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

I think he's asking for the difference between the annuity and the cash option, if he was to get interest on both amounts from the get go, and then compare them.

Since the annuity amount does not exaist as a lump sum, I don't think there can be an answer.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: March 7, 2008, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

If the annual payments total $9 million over 26 years and the lump sum is $5.3 million, how do I determine the interest rate received?

If you wanted to start with 5.3 mil and end up with 9 mil after 26 years, you'd need to earn about 2% per year, compounded.

You can find the relevant equations on  the web.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

San Diego, CA
            United States
            Member #58386
            February 12, 2008
            290 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2008, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

If you wanted to start with 5.3 mil and end up with 9 mil after 26 years, you'd need to earn about 2% per year, compounded.

You can find the relevant equations on  the web.

Yes that is what I am looking for. Where can I find the equation?

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: March 7, 2008, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

I obviously misunderstood the question. I guess I didn't even consider it since nobody would invest the entire lump sum in an interest bearing account.  What would be the point?  Usually someone wants to enjoy at least a portion of his/her prize. I'm guessing most people would purchase a nicer home (and probably a vacation home too) and buy a couple of new cars.  So, although it's not hard to figure the interest over 26 years, it's not what would happen in the real world. 

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: March 7, 2008, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

Yes that is what I am looking for. Where can I find the equation?

if you want all the grimy details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_interest Crazy

if you just want to get some work done: http://moneychimp.com/calculator/discount_rate_calculator.htm Cool

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: March 7, 2008, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

Judging from the performance of the dollar you would be insane to choose the annuity a lottery offers now. Far better to choose a fund that has global diversity along with some gold or other comodities.

United States
                    Member #13130
                    March 30, 2005
                    2171 Posts
                    Posted: March 7, 2008, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

Judging from the performance of the dollar you would be insane to choose the annuity a lottery offers now. Far better to choose a fund that has global diversity along with some gold or other comodities.

Hey! That's my line. Wink

Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: March 8, 2008, 12:31 am - IP Logged

Hey! That's my line. Wink

Which is why I said "Investing in stocks, commodities, real estate, etc." and didn't get specific.   I knew you'd write that! LOL

Fayetteville, Arkansas
                        United States
                        Member #58962
                        March 2, 2008
                        29 Posts
                        Posted: March 8, 2008, 2:25 am - IP Logged

The formula which shows the basic relationship is not hard to find; but solving for the interest rate ... that's another matter.

I love problems of this kind; but in this case the math is way beyond me.

Accountants interpolate from a table to solve this problem, and you can set up a spreadsheet with an incremental series of values and interpolate to get an approximation.

(1)  PV = A * (((1 - ((1 + i)^(-n))) / i)

where PV = present value of the annuity, A = amount of payment, i = interest rate, n = number of payments.

(2)  i = R - (R * ((1 + i)^(-n)))

where R = A / PV

Incidently, if you're talking about MegaMillions, I think n = 27, not 26; don't forget that first payment, which you get immediately.

The balls have no memory.

San Diego, CA
                          United States
                          Member #58386
                          February 12, 2008
                          290 Posts
                          Posted: March 8, 2008, 11:07 am - IP Logged

The formula which shows the basic relationship is not hard to find; but solving for the interest rate ... that's another matter.

I love problems of this kind; but in this case the math is way beyond me.

Accountants interpolate from a table to solve this problem, and you can set up a spreadsheet with an incremental series of values and interpolate to get an approximation.

(1)  PV = A * (((1 - ((1 + i)^(-n))) / i)

where PV = present value of the annuity, A = amount of payment, i = interest rate, n = number of payments.

(2)  i = R - (R * ((1 + i)^(-n)))

where R = A / PV

Incidently, if you're talking about MegaMillions, I think n = 27, not 26; don't forget that first payment, which you get immediately.

I thought it was going to be basic, but determined it would be complex considering money is being paid out in the annual installments.  What complicates things further is the payment percentage usually changes every year. 

United States
                            Member #13130
                            March 30, 2005
                            2171 Posts
                            Posted: March 8, 2008, 11:13 am - IP Logged

It's mainly a matter of deciding which number you want constant.

If you hold the interest rate constant, the nominal payout amount changes.

If you hold the nominal payout amount constant, then the interest rate is changing.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3502 Posts
                              Posted: March 8, 2008, 11:34 am - IP Logged

It works exactly like any other loan. They owe you 5.3 million now, but they pay it to you in annual installments of $346,154 totalling $9 million. After the first payment they still owe you about $5 million. A rate of 4.66% compounded monthly would repay the remainder in annual installments of $346,310, which is close enough.  A payment that increases each year definitely complicates the math. They already know the interest rate and do a simple amortization table. Working backwards to figure out what the rate is a collossal PITA, and require a program, and not ust asimple loan calculator. There are two other things you may also want to consider.

1. Why does it matter what the interest rate is when you know exaclty what the actual payment will be?
                              2. You will be earning that 4.66% interest on the  35 to 42% that  you would lose to taxes if you choose the lump sum. To earn 346k on the $3.445 million you'd have after paying federal taxes you'd need to earn 10% interest.