Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Greens Propose a Heritage Lottery

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: March 5, 2008, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

The Tasmanian Greens yesterday called for the introduction of a state lottery to raise funds to help restore Tasmania's crumbling heritage buildings.

Greens leader Peg Putt called her bold suggestion -- seemingly at odds with Greens' opposition to poker machines and gambling -- an "outside-the-square" solution to a serious problem confronting Tasmania.

Ms Putt pointed out that Western Australia and Britain both used national lotteries to fund historic building restoration and that such a remedy might have helped save Hobart's Holy Trinity church before it was too late.

"I don't know if that is the right mechanism, but I'm taking the bold step of advocating a state lottery as the first idea on the table to provoke discussion," Ms Putt said, calling for a taskforce to look at all funding options. "At least a Green proposing a gambling initiative may be enough to prompt reaction and some concentration on the heritage funding issue."

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: March 5, 2008, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

The Tasmanian Greens yesterday called for the introduction of a state lottery to raise funds to help restore Tasmania's crumbling heritage buildings.

Greens leader Peg Putt called her bold suggestion -- seemingly at odds with Greens' opposition to poker machines and gambling -- an "outside-the-square" solution to a serious problem confronting Tasmania.

Ms Putt pointed out that Western Australia and Britain both used national lotteries to fund historic building restoration and that such a remedy might have helped save Hobart's Holy Trinity church before it was too late.

"I don't know if that is the right mechanism, but I'm taking the bold step of advocating a state lottery as the first idea on the table to provoke discussion," Ms Putt said, calling for a taskforce to look at all funding options. "At least a Green proposing a gambling initiative may be enough to prompt reaction and some concentration on the heritage funding issue."

I'm guilty of copying and pasting, and sometimes I do express my ideas in my words. Having said that. How do you feel about this, in your own words?

I guess each proposal for a particular betting game has to have the right moral/ratio/profit equivalent....lol

Thanx for sharing.

Bondi Junction
      Australia
      Member #57242
      December 24, 2007
      1102 Posts
      Posted: March 5, 2008, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

I think it is a great idea. some people will choose to gamble, so it is a good idea to use the revenue raised for public works. Some people are opposed to gambling, they still have the right not to do so. Everyone is happy, the joys of a free society.

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: March 5, 2008, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

I think it is a great idea. some people will choose to gamble, so it is a good idea to use the revenue raised for public works. Some people are opposed to gambling, they still have the right not to do so. Everyone is happy, the joys of a free society.

Thanx for the very interesting outlook. I guess people who want to bet will find a way....lol

That's where free enterprise comes in to view.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23261 Posts
          Posted: March 5, 2008, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

If you want to post a news story, you have 2 options:

1. Post it in your blog.

2. Use the Suggest a News Story form in the Contact Us page.

News stories cannot be posted in the regular forums.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!