Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Running an office Powerball pool is discouraging

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 9 years ago by ArtVandalay.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
Raleigh
United States
Member #49057
January 17, 2007
172 Posts
Posted: March 10, 2008, 10:36 am - IP Logged

I have bought my 1 Powerball ticket for each drawing for quite a while, and have even match 4 white balls a few time. Even though the odds are great, I always felt like someday I might get lucky and win it all, or at least match 5 white.

Now, I am running an office pool (don't worry we have signed legal contracts), and I am buying 50 tickets for every drawing above 50 million, and we have not won more than $7.

I knew the math of the odds before, but I never really felt the math until now, and it is very discouraging. 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1953 Posts
    Posted: March 10, 2008, 11:29 am - IP Logged

I have bought my 1 Powerball ticket for each drawing for quite a while, and have even match 4 white balls a few time. Even though the odds are great, I always felt like someday I might get lucky and win it all, or at least match 5 white.

Now, I am running an office pool (don't worry we have signed legal contracts), and I am buying 50 tickets for every drawing above 50 million, and we have not won more than $7.

I knew the math of the odds before, but I never really felt the math until now, and it is very discouraging. 

50 tickets is certainly better than 1 ticket, but it still doesn't make a dent in the odds of winning. You're odds are still 1 in 2,922,159. Good luck though.

Gonna win.Big Smile

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
      N.C.
      United States
      Member #56005
      October 28, 2007
      812 Posts
      Posted: March 10, 2008, 11:53 am - IP Logged

Are you buying quickpics?...or do the people in your pool pick thier numbers?....and if so, do they study charts like you might or do they just randomly pick numbers or play birthdays?

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

Captain Lotto's avatar - CaptLotto
        Jefferson City, MO
        United States
        Member #55250
        September 20, 2007
        97 Posts
        Posted: March 10, 2008, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

50 tickets is certainly better than 1 ticket, but it still doesn't make a dent in the odds of winning. You're odds are still 1 in 2,922,159. Good luck though.

I'd have to check my stat book, but I don't think the odds are even that good.  Every ticket has the same odds of hitting the jackpot.  So it would be 50 in 146,107,962. 

Captain Lotto

"Every day is a good day!"

United States
          Member #17180
          June 13, 2005
          10 Posts
          Posted: March 10, 2008, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

I know how you feel Grengrad.

Even though statistically your chances are higher with the pool, what I call your 'real world odds' are not any better, it'll still take a miracle.

Good luck. 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: March 10, 2008, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

I know how you feel. But to be honest, even with buying 50 tickets the odds are still way against you. Just keep buying some tickets and maybe you will get lucky and hit big. That is what most of us hope for.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19816 Posts
              Posted: March 10, 2008, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

You should be doing 50 times better than when you were only buying 1 ticket.

Winning a $100 or less may be discouraging and matching 5/5 or better may be a dream. but if you ever match 4/4+1 for $10,000 it could be a nightmare.  One person has to claim it and pay the taxes while the pool members may want to split the prize before taxes or after a minimum allowance for taxes.  If the person claiming the win is in a higher tax bracket then he has to depend on the pool members kicking in some extra cash or pay the extra taxes from his share.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10344 Posts
                Posted: March 10, 2008, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

grengrad

No matter how many ticklets you buy never lose sight of the fact that each one is supposed to lose.  

That's how gambling works, that's why there are entities in existence to book everything from bets on horses and cards and dice to lottery drawings, otherwise they wouldn't be in business. 

There is not a bet a player can make where the player is supposed to win. Odds bets on crap tables are the only even-money bet in existence- and at that, you have to have a flat bet to take or lay the odds- or pay a vig up front to buy or lay odds.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                  San Angelo, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #1097
                  January 31, 2003
                  1394 Posts
                  Posted: March 10, 2008, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Don't feel too bad!

I know of a local office pool that buys 100 QPs for each MegaMillions drawing. They have been doing this forever and have never won more than $150. This was one time event.

They have gone many drawings in a row without winning anything. They have big dropout problem!

IMHO, I think they need to call a meeting,  take a close look at prior drawings and generate their own combinations. 

WOW, if I could afford to play $200 a week, I'd definitely want to be in control!

Omniscient's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
                    Florida
                    United States
                    Member #46570
                    September 14, 2006
                    558 Posts
                    Posted: March 10, 2008, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

It's all a game of chance. Someone has to win, so it could be you someday too. People do win, and you have to play to win it, so dont give up. If it doesn't happen, at least you got to be in it and had some fun trying. As long as you have fun and aren't betting the rent money or grocery money or something important that you need, then its ok to at least try. And dont think of it as 1:149,000,000 ..think of it as 50/50 ... you either win or you lose, and that's it.. plain and simple. Think positive ...you never know... and remove all doubts from your mind. Think ' IM A WINNER!, IM A WINNER !' ... just be upbeat about it.

'A toast to your future win !'  Cheers

Best of luck!

Omni

See full size image                                               

Don't Play more, Play Smarter!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                      Member #5344
                      June 30, 2004
                      23641 Posts
                      Posted: March 10, 2008, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

You should be doing 50 times better than when you were only buying 1 ticket.

Winning a $100 or less may be discouraging and matching 5/5 or better may be a dream. but if you ever match 4/4+1 for $10,000 it could be a nightmare.  One person has to claim it and pay the taxes while the pool members may want to split the prize before taxes or after a minimum allowance for taxes.  If the person claiming the win is in a higher tax bracket then he has to depend on the pool members kicking in some extra cash or pay the extra taxes from his share.

when collecting on a pool,  the pool need to go to lottery office together with name for the group.  Each member splits the check and the taxes are paid by each member.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: March 10, 2008, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

I've said on another thread like this that I use to run a lottery pool where I use to work but if I had it to do over I would not do it again..

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19816 Posts
                          Posted: March 10, 2008, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

when collecting on a pool,  the pool need to go to lottery office together with name for the group.  Each member splits the check and the taxes are paid by each member.

For lottery prizes other than the jackpots, some states will only make out the prize check to one person and send him the W-2G form for taxes.   I've read there are ways to get around that but they probably require the advice of a tax lawyer which might cost more than the taxes on a prize that size.

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10344 Posts
                            Posted: March 10, 2008, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

RJOh

"You should be doing 50 times better than when you were only buying 1 ticket."

In my state's Pick 5 game I usually hot 0 or 1 number on a set of numbers, on the Pick 6, 0, 1 or 2 - none of which pay anything at all.

If playing 50 times as much produced 50 times that result, ah, so what?

50 X's pays nothing still = pays nothing.  

(Or is that what you were hinting at?) 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19816 Posts
                              Posted: March 10, 2008, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss,

In Ohio Rolling Cash5 (5/39), matching two numbers pays $1 and the overall odds of a win are 1:9 per ticket.  Buying one ticket your odds of winning a prize are 1:9 or close to nothing and buying 50 tickets your odds of winning a prize are 50:9, not 50 x 0.   

Evil Looking