Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is this legal?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 9 years ago by flamarko.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: March 10, 2008, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

I bought 3 scratch off tickets but they were losers so I asked for one more.  The store clerk seeing that my tickets were losers kept the next one and gave me the one after that.  I was speechless and mad but took the ticket anyway.  The one she gave me was a loser.  Is this legal? Has this happened to anyone else?

Unhappy

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
    Charlotte NC
    United States
    Member #17406
    June 18, 2005
    4053 Posts
    Posted: March 10, 2008, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

I bought 3 scratch off tickets but they were losers so I asked for one more.  The store clerk seeing that my tickets were losers kept the next one and gave me the one after that.  I was speechless and mad but took the ticket anyway.  The one she gave me was a loser.  Is this legal? Has this happened to anyone else?

Unhappy

It's tacky - that's for sure.

takeemtothebank

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23259 Posts
      Posted: March 10, 2008, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

Unhappy

At the very least it is ethically wrong.  Would the person do that if the store manager were standing there?  Probably not.

This the kind of unacceptable act that should be reported to the lottery, so that would be my recommendation.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: March 11, 2008, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

Unhappy

I agree with Todd & Tenaj that it is tacky and you should report this to the manger or somebody. At the very least this person should be told that her bahavior while dealing with customers is unbecoming. If she wants tickets, she should wait to buy them on her break, not when she is working.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Charlotte NC
          United States
          Member #17406
          June 18, 2005
          4053 Posts
          Posted: March 11, 2008, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Todd & Tenaj that it is tacky and you should report this to the manger or somebody. At the very least this person should be told that her bahavior while dealing with customers is unbecoming. If she wants tickets, she should wait to buy them on her break, not when she is working.

Love your avatar.

takeemtothebank

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: March 11, 2008, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Thanks! I made it from a commercial that airs here.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Charlotte NC
              United States
              Member #17406
              June 18, 2005
              4053 Posts
              Posted: March 11, 2008, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

Thanks! I made it from a commercial that airs here.

cool

takeemtothebank

Michigan
                United States
                Member #59293
                March 12, 2008
                121 Posts
                Posted: March 18, 2008, 10:49 am - IP Logged

Unhappy

store clerks are asked not to particpate buying lottery tickets while working. she probebly kept it because she thought 3 losers next one is a winner which is unacceptable and she could be fired for doing it

United States
                  Member #57551
                  January 9, 2008
                  841 Posts
                  Posted: March 24, 2008, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

store clerks are asked not to particpate buying lottery tickets while working. she probebly kept it because she thought 3 losers next one is a winner which is unacceptable and she could be fired for doing it

My similar experience is with another customer.

I bought 2 of the Snow Bird scratch tix at a publix store in Florida and then moved aside.

2 customers behind were literally looking over my shoulder.

When they saw that I had 2 losing tix, they immediately bought 2 more and demanded that they be from the same pile that I just bought (pointing over to me to explain their point to the clerk).

In front of me they scratched and revealed a $500 winner.

Pretty tacky!