Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

No raffles in Texas

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
bobby623's avatar - abstract
San Angelo, Texas
United States
Member #1097
January 31, 2003
1394 Posts
Posted: March 11, 2008, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

A number of states are making big bucks with raffles, but not so in Texas.

In fact, the Texas Attorney General has ruled that state lottery law forbids raffles.
See the transcript of the TLC Feb. 20 meeting for more information.

IMHO, the AG made a right decision. We don't need more games that feed state coffers while making the poor poorer.

Have a good day!

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7322 Posts
    Posted: March 11, 2008, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

A number of states are making big bucks with raffles, but not so in Texas.

In fact, the Texas Attorney General has ruled that state lottery law forbids raffles.
    See the transcript of the TLC Feb. 20 meeting for more information.

IMHO, the AG made a right decision. We don't need more games that feed state coffers while making the poor poorer.

Have a good day!

Raffles are just like any other jackpot lottery game and success depends on how its received by the players. There are some states that only sold enough tickets to cover expenses and in other states the raffles were sold out in one or two weeks.

In some states all the lottery profits go to Education and the lotteries are using that in advertising but the choice to buy a ticket is always the prerogative of the player.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23277 Posts
      Posted: March 11, 2008, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

I like the raffle games, and I play every time they have one in my state.  If people want to throw away their money, the lack of a raffle game is not going to stop them.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10354 Posts
        Posted: March 11, 2008, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Personally I'm no fan of raffles as conducted by the lottery, but to each his own.

I do find it incredible that people will willingly fork over $10 to $50 for a ticket with a top prize of $1,000,000 as opposed to a $1 ticket with prizes of anything from that same $1,000,000 to hundreds of millions.

If it was true that another dollar could cut the odds in half, imagine what the amount spent on the raffles could do. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.