Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Stop! Think! Plan!

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 9 years ago by tntea.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2008, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

What is the first thing you might do after winning the lottery?

You might call your family and friends to brag, that’s what! Excitement over winning a large amount of cash is certainly understandable, and who better to be happy for you than the ones you love?

Unfortunately, money often creates problems between people who love each other, even when it isn’t intentional. No matter your financial status five minutes ago; now you think you can buy whatever you want, and it is an incredible feeling. Of course, your family and friends might now see you as one big cash cow, and create problems for you in the future.

You might want to help people out, but be careful who you dish out money for. If, twenty minutes after collecting your check, you’ve promised half of it away, you’re already in over your head. And whenever people you know run into financial trouble, you’ll be the first person they call.

Remember, its okay to say ‘no’ until you’ve figured out your own finances, and its okay to keep it for yourself, at least for a while. Money can cause resentment and hostility between friends and loved ones; why spoil your big day with all of that?

Don't let the excitement go to your head. STOP! THINK! PLAN!

People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan. That also applies to many lottery winners, don't let it happen to you!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19830 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2008, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

"People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan. That also applies to many lottery winners, don't let it happen to you!"

Most lottery players fail to win so there aren't many lottery winners.  Better to have won and failed to plan then to have wasted a lot of time planning and failed to win.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Bondi Junction
      Australia
      Member #57242
      December 24, 2007
      1102 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2008, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

"People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan. That also applies to many lottery winners, don't let it happen to you!"

Most lottery players fail to win so there aren't many lottery winners.  Better to have won and failed to plan then to have wasted a lot of time planning and failed to win.

People win every day!

Every year, thousands of people win substantial prizes, if not the multi-million dollar jackpots. That's several people every day!

I am not saying plan for what you will do if you win, that's called day-dreaming.

My point is, if you happen to win a large amount, keep your head about you and husband it very carefully.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
        Member #28409
        December 15, 2005
        1198 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2008, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Green laugh guilty as charged....

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
          Member #4121
          March 23, 2004
          817 Posts
          Posted: March 12, 2008, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

You might call your family and friends to brag, that’s what! Excitement over winning a large amount of cash is certainly understandable, and who better to be happy for you than the ones you love?

Unfortunately, money often creates problems between people who love each other, even when it isn’t intentional. No matter your financial status five minutes ago; now you think you can buy whatever you want, and it is an incredible feeling. Of course, your family and friends might now see you as one big cash cow, and create problems for you in the future.

You might want to help people out, but be careful who you dish out money for. If, twenty minutes after collecting your check, you’ve promised half of it away, you’re already in over your head. And whenever people you know run into financial trouble, you’ll be the first person they call.

Remember, its okay to say ‘no’ until you’ve figured out your own finances, and its okay to keep it for yourself, at least for a while. Money can cause resentment and hostility between friends and loved ones; why spoil your big day with all of that?

People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan. That also applies to many lottery winners, don't let it happen to you!

Sound advice.  Thank you,

United States
            Member #58528
            February 18, 2008
            710 Posts
            Posted: March 13, 2008, 8:52 am - IP Logged

I only have one living child,one living sibling and one brother & sister inlaw.I'll help them all out...once.After that they better win their own jackpot.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: March 13, 2008, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

I agree! LOL

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                mn
                United States
                Member #59040
                March 4, 2008
                276 Posts
                Posted: March 13, 2008, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

I dont know, I like to think that i have a typical nuclear family, parents and siblings, and like many families they like to spread BIG news, good or bad whether you want to or not. So i dont think i will tell anybody except legal parties to set up trusts and whatnot. I think its better for ME if my family and friends dont know, and ill just say that my business is booming and thats why there's more money than usual. Obviously i wont be bragging and buying everything i see, except maybe investment real estate.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
                "The same thing we do every night, Pinky—Try to take over the world."

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                  Member #5344
                  June 30, 2004
                  23641 Posts
                  Posted: March 13, 2008, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't call and brag to family members.    I would eventually tell them when I decided to go collect that their problems no longer exist when it comes to money.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Bondi Junction
                    Australia
                    Member #57242
                    December 24, 2007
                    1102 Posts
                    Posted: March 13, 2008, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't call and brag to family members.    I would eventually tell them when I decided to go collect that their problems no longer exist when it comes to money.

It's not a good idea to give an open check to anyone, even family.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                      Member #24380
                      October 21, 2005
                      623 Posts
                      Posted: March 14, 2008, 1:50 am - IP Logged

So well said!

United States
                        Member #5344
                        June 30, 2004
                        23641 Posts
                        Posted: March 15, 2008, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

It's not a good idea to give an open check to anyone, even family.

I have a very trusting family.

I would just pay off all their debts and give them play money.

Baton Rouge, LA
                          United States
                          Member #4602
                          May 7, 2004
                          699 Posts
                          Posted: March 15, 2008, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Very well said.  Fortunately, I don't want to give any money to anyone and anyone who asks gets a big "NO!"

I don't plan to tell anyone of my win, especially not my family.  They'll all demand money from me or worse yet, ask me to give it to them to "keep for me" or such, and get mad when I tell them no.  You have to know my family and the rocky relationship I've had with most of them over the years to understand what I'm saying.  I'm not the family favorite and knowing them, they would think I shouldn't have it.

I've vented enough, but I think I've made my point.

Nobody gets anything out of me!

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                            Member #13130
                            March 30, 2005
                            2171 Posts
                            Posted: March 15, 2008, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

I'm gonna STOP by the store and buy some tickets. I THINK I'll take the cash option. I PLAN to not have financial problems later in life. Jester

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                              Member #5344
                              June 30, 2004
                              23641 Posts
                              Posted: March 15, 2008, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

I got my tickets.. Good luck everyone.