Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 8:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Newbie seeking advice

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 9 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #59337
March 13, 2008
38 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2008, 9:26 am - IP Logged

1.  I lurked here for a long time before posting.  I searched through a bajillion posts and tried to educate myself.   I understand that true prediction is not possible, and every draw is unique. The lottery companies use different machines, and different sets of balls.  I imagine that each of those variables would exert their own particular influence during each draw, resulting in a summation of effects that tend to balance out over time.  The proverbial Holy Grail of this is to find any kind of predictive ability based on the multilayered variables that make up the "behavior" of the machine.

2.  I spent a lot of time at Sailu's site, trying to use his program and understand probability (before I came here).  I also plugged in my own data through a general stats analysis program.  Then I downloaded a trial version of LottoBuster 2010 and tried to backtest the data.  THEN I took the data from MDIEditor and LottoBuster, and plugged THAT into my stats program and analyzed for trends.

3.  My head is starting to spin a bit now.  I've never won anything from pure stats alone, or from Saliu's stuff.  When I cross referenced Lotto Buster and my stats data and looked for trends within certain specific values, I had great success with one draw recently (Got two 3/5s and a 2/5 +MB on the Mega out of 15 tickets, and all my losing tickets were 2/5).  Though my eyes were a bit crossways when I got done with all the darn graphs to get those numbers.

Thoughts/criticisms/advice, anyone?  I still haven't got a feel for the proper protocol to talk strategy as a newb.  I just joined today, haven't posted any predictions.  When I'm not playing with money I tend to do predictions after the Mega draws but before I look at the results (if I picked it on paper and didn't play it would break my heart if it won).

And I don't have nothin' for the GA Fantasy 5.  I can't even come close the few times I've tried.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
    Kunming
    China
    Member #57910
    January 23, 2008
    3626 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2008, 11:46 am - IP Logged

1.  I lurked here for a long time before posting.  I searched through a bajillion posts and tried to educate myself.   I understand that true prediction is not possible, and every draw is unique. The lottery companies use different machines, and different sets of balls.  I imagine that each of those variables would exert their own particular influence during each draw, resulting in a summation of effects that tend to balance out over time.  The proverbial Holy Grail of this is to find any kind of predictive ability based on the multilayered variables that make up the "behavior" of the machine.

2.  I spent a lot of time at Sailu's site, trying to use his program and understand probability (before I came here).  I also plugged in my own data through a general stats analysis program.  Then I downloaded a trial version of LottoBuster 2010 and tried to backtest the data.  THEN I took the data from MDIEditor and LottoBuster, and plugged THAT into my stats program and analyzed for trends.

3.  My head is starting to spin a bit now.  I've never won anything from pure stats alone, or from Saliu's stuff.  When I cross referenced Lotto Buster and my stats data and looked for trends within certain specific values, I had great success with one draw recently (Got two 3/5s and a 2/5 +MB on the Mega out of 15 tickets, and all my losing tickets were 2/5).  Though my eyes were a bit crossways when I got done with all the darn graphs to get those numbers.

Thoughts/criticisms/advice, anyone?  I still haven't got a feel for the proper protocol to talk strategy as a newb.  I just joined today, haven't posted any predictions.  When I'm not playing with money I tend to do predictions after the Mega draws but before I look at the results (if I picked it on paper and didn't play it would break my heart if it won).

And I don't have nothin' for the GA Fantasy 5.  I can't even come close the few times I've tried.

I know exactly how you feel. I feel like a black sheep. I'm the only I think from China and have been trying to find help here at LP. I've gotten some help from a handful of people but most don't care since I'm in China and they can't play it, there's no incentive. Look at my post in the Pick 5. I was trying to come up with a "system using mutiples of 3's. I just have to find a good wheeling program. I want something that is easy to understand yet effective. I get dizzy from all those "stats" "sums" "bell curve" etc... I'm making it my mission to find something that not only I can use but anyone who's interested can use and win the jackpot.  Anyway If I can help let me know. Let me know what you think. Welcome to LP!

Play to win!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19830 Posts
      Posted: March 13, 2008, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

I know exactly how you feel. I feel like a black sheep. I'm the only I think from China and have been trying to find help here at LP. I've gotten some help from a handful of people but most don't care since I'm in China and they can't play it, there's no incentive. Look at my post in the Pick 5. I was trying to come up with a "system using mutiples of 3's. I just have to find a good wheeling program. I want something that is easy to understand yet effective. I get dizzy from all those "stats" "sums" "bell curve" etc... I'm making it my mission to find something that not only I can use but anyone who's interested can use and win the jackpot.  Anyway If I can help let me know. Let me know what you think. Welcome to LP!

Isn't there a forum like LP in China for Chinese lottery players? 

A few years ago, there was a young guy from China that posted here using numerous names like "Lotto King", "Goose" and others until he was banded for posting a bunch of nonsense.  He  claimed he was starting his own website for lottery players in China.  I would think such a forum in China would do well.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49784 Posts
        Posted: March 13, 2008, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

I believe sysp34 is from China: I guess you haven't read any of his posts.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19830 Posts
          Posted: March 13, 2008, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

If you have spent time at Ion Saliu's website, downloaded a trail versions of LottoBuster and search through thousands of LP posts then you have some knowledge about what you need to know to make some predictions.   You might consider also downloading a trail versions of LottoPro, I like it even better than LottoBuster. 

Just because your predictions aren't the numbers drawn isn't a reason to not try.  If you check the predictions of the top LP predictors you'll find they only have a winner 5% of the time and they are generally only the smaller tier prizes, it's unusual for any of them to ever have a jackpot winning prediction.

Keep trying, you'll get better.  Welcome to LP

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #59337
            March 13, 2008
            38 Posts
            Posted: March 13, 2008, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

If you have spent time at Ion Saliu's website, downloaded a trail versions of LottoBuster and search through thousands of LP posts then you have some knowledge about what you need to know to make some predictions.   You might consider also downloading a trail versions of LottoPro, I like it even better than LottoBuster. 

Just because your predictions aren't the numbers drawn isn't a reason to not try.  If you check the predictions of the top LP predictors you'll find they only have a winner 5% of the time and they are generally only the smaller tier prizes, it's unusual for any of them to ever have a jackpot winning prediction.

Keep trying, you'll get better.  Welcome to LP

Thanks for the LottoPro tip.  I'll hunt around for a trial version or something.  

Please don't misunderstand, it's not that I'm unwilling to make predictions.  It's just that I joined today, and historically I have tended to make non-cash predictions after the draw but before I've downloaded results.  Though I guess it doesn't really matter.  I haven't followed that many prediction threads; I've mostly hunted through the forums here looking for system-specific stuff on Saliu's or LottoBuster's programs.  What are the deadlines for adding to the prediction threads?  What's the general protocol?  Is it better to just throw out some stuff to wheel or actually have sets of picks?

I'm trying to find my way by avoiding characterizing numbers based on groupings (like high/low, even/odd or groupings by first digit).  I just don't trust those type characterizations for some reason.  NOT THAT I'm criticizing anyone else for using those tactics . . . I just think it's not for me.

Also, as much as I would like to try, I don't think the Pick3 or 4 would be feasible for me.  I have to drive 36 miles to get tix, and only go twice a week for the Mega.

United States
              Member #59337
              March 13, 2008
              38 Posts
              Posted: March 14, 2008, 12:36 am - IP Logged

Here's an idea . . . a big long list of the different variables that people can look at.  For example, I personally am trying to work with median and mean skip times, mean percent of hits, pairs that run together, etc.

Aha!  I just had a scathingly brilliant idea!   (to quote Hayley Mills in an old favorite movie of mine) 

Let me go a tweakin' some software parameters and stuff and see what I can come up with.  I wish I had learned some programming in all my various degrees, it would be useful about now. 

Kunming
                China
                Member #57910
                January 23, 2008
                3626 Posts
                Posted: March 14, 2008, 1:25 am - IP Logged

Isn't there a forum like LP in China for Chinese lottery players? 

A few years ago, there was a young guy from China that posted here using numerous names like "Lotto King", "Goose" and others until he was banded for posting a bunch of nonsense.  He  claimed he was starting his own website for lottery players in China.  I would think such a forum in China would do well.

Actually I have done a search and haven't found anything. I'm not fuent in Chinese. I've been here for almost two years but have limited understanding of the spoken and written. If that guy posted a lot of nonsense at LP chances are he would do the same here. Anyway, I just keep using this site until I find something that is geared to China's Lottery. No Problem.

Play to win!

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                  Dump Water Florida
                  United States
                  Member #380
                  June 5, 2002
                  3104 Posts
                  Posted: March 14, 2008, 1:54 am - IP Logged

Actually I have done a search and haven't found anything. I'm not fuent in Chinese. I've been here for almost two years but have limited understanding of the spoken and written. If that guy posted a lot of nonsense at LP chances are he would do the same here. Anyway, I just keep using this site until I find something that is geared to China's Lottery. No Problem.

Consider adding to your signature you are looking for help with the following games and list all the games you are able to play, their game size, ie: 5/39 and prize tiers with prize amounts vs cost to play.  For example the Au 6/45 game has two bonus balls and is easy to win or would be if it had a 3# prize. Not knowing about the lack of a 3# prize and bonus ball prize tiers makes advice difficult.  Put useful information out there maybe someone will get an idea based on a similar game they play.  In our Florida Pick-5/36 if there is no 5# winner the prizes roll down into the 3# and 4# prizes making it a whole different game when a 4# prize can be worth over $1,000.00  What is the value of the cost to play for you?  In the U.S. most games cost $1.00 per ticket making the odds to 1 the same as the odds to a $1.00.  Many people earn around $10.00 per hour working 40 hours per week, this restricts them from playing big wheels or even small wheels often, while people in a country where the cost to play is much less with an equally lower value prize they may be playing rich compared to other players and can try some interesting strategies long term.  BobP

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
                    Member #1987
                    August 5, 2003
                    8968 Posts
                    Posted: March 14, 2008, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

Hello there jackpotismine here is a link featuring a Lottery Post member from China.  

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/136242/1 

Kunming
                      China
                      Member #57910
                      January 23, 2008
                      3626 Posts
                      Posted: March 15, 2008, 1:28 am - IP Logged

Thanks Larverne, I see that he/she hasn't posted since 12/06. Maybe got busy or lost interest. Thanks all the same.

Play to win!

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
                        Member #1987
                        August 5, 2003
                        8968 Posts
                        Posted: March 15, 2008, 1:49 am - IP Logged

Thanks Larverne, I see that he/she hasn't posted since 12/06. Maybe got busy or lost interest. Thanks all the same.

Perhaps send him a PM.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: March 15, 2008, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

If you are looking for variables or tendencies in each Powerball MACHINE, I can tell you that you are wasting your time - been there/done that, I found nothing predictable with the different machines, ie for example, #15 doesn't show up more often with machine 7 than it does with machine 8, etc.

And beyond that, they rotate the machines they use at random, and do not announce ahead of time which one they are using, and likewise for the ballsets, too. 

United States
                            Member #59337
                            March 13, 2008
                            38 Posts
                            Posted: March 15, 2008, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

If you are looking for variables or tendencies in each Powerball MACHINE, I can tell you that you are wasting your time - been there/done that, I found nothing predictable with the different machines, ie for example, #15 doesn't show up more often with machine 7 than it does with machine 8, etc.

And beyond that, they rotate the machines they use at random, and do not announce ahead of time which one they are using, and likewise for the ballsets, too. 

Thank you for your reply.  I do realize that the ballsets and machines would be rotated unannounced and randomly . . . I was just hoping to find a pattern that might crop up to be exploited.  After all, the humans who do the rotating may try to be random, but it is only an approximation.

But knowing already that the pattern is not discernible, it saves a lot of work.  Thank you! 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: March 20, 2008, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

Thank you for your reply.  I do realize that the ballsets and machines would be rotated unannounced and randomly . . . I was just hoping to find a pattern that might crop up to be exploited.  After all, the humans who do the rotating may try to be random, but it is only an approximation.

But knowing already that the pattern is not discernible, it saves a lot of work.  Thank you! 

But even if there was a pattern, you would not be able to capitalize on it, because of two things:

1) They don't announce what ballset or machine they are using ahead of time.

2) Once you notice a pattern, it's too late to play it because it is probably gone, 'old news'.