Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Same Numbers Win In Several Jackpots

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 9 years ago by mylollipop.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Have the Same Numbers Won in More Than 1 Jackpot?

Yes [ 7 ]  [25.00%]
No [ 2 ]  [7.14%]
Yes, the #'s and Jackpots were [ 2 ]  [7.14%]
I do not know [ 9 ]  [32.14%]
That would be awesome! [ 1 ]  [3.57%]
Probably have, odds, not likely...??? [ 4 ]  [14.29%]
Next question please. [ 3 ]  [10.71%]
Total Valid Votes [ 28 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #58528
February 18, 2008
710 Posts
Posted: March 15, 2008, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

I didn't post a jackpot had been won in PB, I posted a 5 number combination had come up twice in PB and everything I posted included the dates so you could recheck them if you wish.

Not to argue with you,but the name & subject of this thread is:Same Numbers Win In Several Jackpots.

The key word here is Jackpot.Five numbers in Powerball does not equal a Jackpot,it is a second place prize.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19901 Posts
    Posted: March 15, 2008, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

I thought the question was about games like PB, MM and state lotteries, not pick 5.  Otherwise my answer would have been different.   I've seen the same numbers come up in different games in Florida.  I don't have any specific examples, but I've seen a Fantasy 5 win where I'm pretty sure those 5 numbers were drawn for the 6 number Lotto at one time or another.

I don't have the histories of all state lotteries but I do have West Virgina Cash25 (6/25).  Since there are only 177,100 possible combinations and it has been played four times a week for over seven years, it's most likely to have happened there.

WVa. Cash25

12/28/07 -  04 10 16 17 21 25
     11/05/07 -  04 10 16 17 21 25

02/19/07 -  02 06 07 08 09 13
     03/28/02 -  02 06 07 08 09 13

12/20/05 -  01 02 12 13 14 24
     06/25/04 -  01 02 12 13 14 24

09/29/05 -  07 08 11 13 21 22
     01/31/00 -  07 08 11 13 21 22

* the jackpot is only $25K

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: March 15, 2008, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

2 wins so close together in 2007!    I wonder if the winner(s), if any, kept playing the same numbers or figured they wouldn't hit for a long time.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10391 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2008, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

I was surprised you would have voted no had it not been for my and four4me posts.  I alway thought where possible your posts were based on actual observations.

When I first started tracking lotteries, I had a copy of LottoPro which I updated every day so I tracked a lot more games than I do now.  I discovered for most lotteries if they had 0.5% of their possible combinations in drawings, they had at least one winning combination that had repeated.  Most games don't last that long without a matrix change.   

RJOh

The question made me think mylollipop was asking if the same numbers, same set of numbers, had won different games in different states (and maybe for the same drawing date), so I was thinking no.  

I know, for instance, that if you search the Illinois lottery site to see if numbers have ever hit you can go "for eternity" without seeing a set of  5 or 6 come in solid. In fact the only way I've ever seen that was  to plug in a known set of winning numbers.  

So I figured to have a set hit twice, in different places, naw...but that wasn't the case.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19901 Posts
          Posted: March 15, 2008, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

RJOh

The question made me think mylollipop was asking if the same numbers, same set of numbers, had won different games in different states (and maybe for the same drawing date), so I was thinking no.  

I know, for instance, that if you search the Illinois lottery site to see if numbers have ever hit you can go "for eternity" without seeing a set of  5 or 6 come in solid. In fact the only way I've ever seen that was  to plug in a known set of winning numbers.  

So I figured to have a set hit twice, in different places, naw...but that wasn't the case.  

In that case no would probably be as good of answer as any because I doubt if anyone would spend the time or resources to prove other wise.

Evil Looking       

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: March 15, 2008, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

i have yet to see that...I think it happened once...But the odds of that happening are so small...First you have to swimm/row/paddle millions of combinations, and then swimm/row/paddle another million combinations....

That's like winning powerball twice...

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: March 15, 2008, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

but i believe is possible to win two different jackpots though....

just not with the same numbers..

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3502 Posts
                Posted: March 16, 2008, 3:17 am - IP Logged

RJOh

How many combinations did you plug in randomly? If the game has lasted long enough to have had 1000 drawings, your chances of picking one randomly and finding that it has won are about 1000 in 10.18 million (assuming you're talking about lotto) or 1 in 10,800. Those aren't very good odds.

OTOH, when you're looking to see if any of the 1000 that are winners have repeated you're not making 1000 guesses all at the same odds of 1 in 10.18 million possibilities. Each additional set of winning numbers increases the odds that the next set will be a repeat. For the second drawing the chances of a repeat would be 1 in 10.18 million, but the third drawing would offer two chances of drawing a combination that had already been drawn, so the odds are "only" 1 in 5.9 million*. For the 4th drawing there are 3 previous combinations, so the chances of matching one of them are 1 in 3.4 million. By the time you get to the 101st drawing there are 100 sets that have won, and the chances of matching one of them are  now 1 in 101,800. For the 1001st drawing it will be 1 in 10,180. The chance of that one specific drawing matching any of the 1000 previous winners is the same as your chance of matching any of the 1000 winning combinations with one random combination. The difference is that the chances of any of the winning combinations matching any of the other 1000 consists of that last 1 in 10,180 chance and all of the other 999 chances. That's for a game with  odds of 1 in 10.18 million in one state. Accounting for  games with better odds, and the chance to match a winner in any of the games in other states and the chance of repeats becomes very likely.

* I know you don't believe that a second ticket cuts the odds in half, but one of your arguments against that is that they only draw one set of numbers. In this case they do draw more than one set, so perhaps you'll understand that the math is correct.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3502 Posts
                  Posted: March 16, 2008, 3:29 am - IP Logged

You may be correct on the Ohio games,I have no way of knowing.

You are incorrect on the Powerball games.Only 5 of the six numbers came up again,the Powerball numbers are different,therefore,no jackpot.

He's not incorrect, because he didn't say the 5+1 combination repeated. He clearly listed the 5 number combination that did repeat.

Having a repeat for the 5 white balls (with the current matrix) would be the equivalent of a repeat in a 5 of 55 or 6 of 40 game over the same period of time.

United States
                    Member #58528
                    February 18, 2008
                    710 Posts
                    Posted: March 16, 2008, 10:35 am - IP Logged

He's not incorrect, because he didn't say the 5+1 combination repeated. He clearly listed the 5 number combination that did repeat.

Having a repeat for the 5 white balls (with the current matrix) would be the equivalent of a repeat in a 5 of 55 or 6 of 40 game over the same period of time.

Believe what you want.I explained why I think he was incorrect.I will not argue the point with either of you.As far as I'm concerned the subject is closed.

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10391 Posts
                      Posted: March 16, 2008, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

How many combinations did you plug in randomly? If the game has lasted long enough to have had 1000 drawings, your chances of picking one randomly and finding that it has won are about 1000 in 10.18 million (assuming you're talking about lotto) or 1 in 10,800. Those aren't very good odds.

OTOH, when you're looking to see if any of the 1000 that are winners have repeated you're not making 1000 guesses all at the same odds of 1 in 10.18 million possibilities. Each additional set of winning numbers increases the odds that the next set will be a repeat. For the second drawing the chances of a repeat would be 1 in 10.18 million, but the third drawing would offer two chances of drawing a combination that had already been drawn, so the odds are "only" 1 in 5.9 million*. For the 4th drawing there are 3 previous combinations, so the chances of matching one of them are 1 in 3.4 million. By the time you get to the 101st drawing there are 100 sets that have won, and the chances of matching one of them are  now 1 in 101,800. For the 1001st drawing it will be 1 in 10,180. The chance of that one specific drawing matching any of the 1000 previous winners is the same as your chance of matching any of the 1000 winning combinations with one random combination. The difference is that the chances of any of the winning combinations matching any of the other 1000 consists of that last 1 in 10,180 chance and all of the other 999 chances. That's for a game with  odds of 1 in 10.18 million in one state. Accounting for  games with better odds, and the chance to match a winner in any of the games in other states and the chance of repeats becomes very likely.

* I know you don't believe that a second ticket cuts the odds in half, but one of your arguments against that is that they only draw one set of numbers. In this case they do draw more than one set, so perhaps you'll understand that the math is correct.

KYFloyd

"How many combinations did you plug in randomly?"

The Illinois website has a feature to plug in numbers to see if they have ever hit.

Even on the 5/39 game I've sat there for a very long time making up combos and have never seen a solid 5 appear. Like I said, the only time I've seen one is when I gave it a set that was a known winner. 

And that's on the Pick 5.  

I invite you to try it. Just go to the Illinois lottery website (or probably most states), look for something like "Number search", and just plug in combinations and see if you get any solid 5 or solid 6 hits.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8394 Posts
                        Posted: March 16, 2008, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

You download all the pick 5 games in Illinois and put them in excel the you click ascending order and any drawing that has repeated will be easily seen. 

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                          RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19901 Posts
                          Posted: March 16, 2008, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

KYFloyd

"How many combinations did you plug in randomly?"

The Illinois website has a feature to plug in numbers to see if they have ever hit.

Even on the 5/39 game I've sat there for a very long time making up combos and have never seen a solid 5 appear. Like I said, the only time I've seen one is when I gave it a set that was a known winner. 

And that's on the Pick 5.  

I invite you to try it. Just go to the Illinois lottery website (or probably most states), look for something like "Number search", and just plug in combinations and see if you get any solid 5 or solid 6 hits.

Checking the two files that way would take a while.  My software allows me to check  two files with each others. 

It took less than four minutes to check the 1119 records of Ohio Rolling Cash5(10/04/04 to 03/15/08) with the 1082 records of PowerBall(11/05/97 to 03/15/08).

*By the way, there were no match 5, but there were 121 match 4.

Evil Looking       

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10391 Posts
                            Posted: March 16, 2008, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

You download all the pick 5 games in Illinois and put them in excel the you click ascending order and any drawing that has repeated will be easily seen. 

four4me

That's kind of a reverse approach to what I mean.

I wasn't looking to see what known combos have already hit or repeated- I was looking to see if a combo I just thought of or was thinking of playing has hit.

Brings up another interesting question though- combos that have hit the same lottery more than two or thre times? Is there such a thing?

Lep

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                              Member #24380
                              October 21, 2005
                              623 Posts
                              Posted: March 18, 2008, 4:52 am - IP Logged

I thought the question was about games like PB, MM and state lotteries, not pick 5.  Otherwise my answer would have been different.   I've seen the same numbers come up in different games in Florida.  I don't have any specific examples, but I've seen a Fantasy 5 win where I'm pretty sure those 5 numbers were drawn for the 6 number Lotto at one time or another.

You thought correctly.  Yes Nod