Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MM/PB Jackpot Sizes

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Uff Da!.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

What MM/PB Jackpot Size Gets You Excited?

Any Size - They're All Good! [ 11 ]  [40.74%]
Over $25 Million [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Over $50 Million [ 1 ]  [3.70%]
Over $75 Million [ 1 ]  [3.70%]
Over $100 Million [ 7 ]  [25.93%]
Over $150 Million [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Over $200 Million [ 3 ]  [11.11%]
Over $300 Million [ 3 ]  [11.11%]
None - They're Never High Enough [ 1 ]  [3.70%]
Total Valid Votes [ 27 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
JustFrozen's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
OC, CALI
United States
Member #59564
March 19, 2008
76 Posts
Posted: March 22, 2008, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

Just something I'm curious about, with both Mega Millions and Powerball paying out huge Jackpots, what does it take for you to get excited? Enough to really get thinking about it a lot, and give you that extra thrill of checking the numbers. Maybe enough to splurge a bit more on tickets.

The California Lottery has a system where you can sign up for email alerts when the Jackpots reach a certain level. They consider the Mega Millions Jackpot of $100 million to be big, and I think that's about in line with what I would consider big and that gets me really excited about it. I get a little more interested over $75 million, but getting into the triple digits is what really starts my excitement.

What amount gets you excited?

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
    Gurnee, Illinois
    United States
    Member #49731
    February 12, 2007
    919 Posts
    Posted: March 22, 2008, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Well, the way I see it is that $7 million (the minimum cash value prize amount) is more than I currently have now, so I am eager for each and every draw.  Since I don't play in any lottery pools, I don't have to play the "wait until the jackpot is big enough for all of us" game.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Roslindale, MA
      United States
      Member #5377
      July 1, 2004
      135 Posts
      Posted: March 22, 2008, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

$50 million (lump sum) for MM (higher for PB since I have to travel to RI to play it). 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: March 22, 2008, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, I don't care what the size the jackpot is. I just want to win one. Cool

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
          Member #38687
          May 3, 2006
          315 Posts
          Posted: March 23, 2008, 1:25 am - IP Logged

I don't usually start slurging on extra tkts until it gets over 200mill......but I always play no matter what size the jackpot may be. I have a set amount and don't go over than amount until 200mill

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

Plainfield, IL
            United States
            Member #20047
            August 10, 2005
            10 Posts
            Posted: March 23, 2008, 5:27 am - IP Logged

I would be quite content with the $12 million starting prize, that's enough to quit my job and maintain my current lifestyle.  But my excitement gets really high once it reaches $100 million.  Then I could quit my job and really live like a millionaire.

[This Space For Sale]

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
              Washington State
              United States
              Member #33973
              February 26, 2006
              347 Posts
              Posted: March 24, 2008, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

I go by cash value, not jackpot size.  Since I've gifted a percentage ownership in any MM tickets I buy to a large number of relatives, I used to not even play until the cash value was at least $50 million (jackpot size about 78 million).  It would take that much to be enough for all of us.  Recently, I've started buying a single ticket at some lower amounts but increase the number of tickets over that amount.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1958 Posts
                Posted: March 25, 2008, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

I would be excited to win a jackpot of any size, but to win a $100M+ jackpot would make me even more excited.

Gonna win.Big Smile

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3501 Posts
                  Posted: March 26, 2008, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

I go by cash value, not jackpot size.  Since I've gifted a percentage ownership in any MM tickets I buy to a large number of relatives, I used to not even play until the cash value was at least $50 million (jackpot size about 78 million).  It would take that much to be enough for all of us.  Recently, I've started buying a single ticket at some lower amounts but increase the number of tickets over that amount.

I dont see any problem with sharing tickets only from drawings where the jackpot is over a certain threshold. You definitely can't limit the sharing to jackpots of a certain size, because that would be a tacit acknowledgement that you are sharing the jackpot rather than the ticket. An agreement that says that you are buying and immediately gifting shares of a ticket for any drawing where the advertised jackpot (specifying either annuity or cash value) is at or beyond some threshold should be clear proof that the gift was a share of a ticket with a trivial value, and isn't subject to gift taxes. Should you win a modest jackpot you can obviously make gifts from the proceeds and keep them below the threshold for gift taxes.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                    Member #28409
                    December 15, 2005
                    1198 Posts
                    Posted: March 26, 2008, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

I would gladly take any jackpot, but it's the 300 million babies that get my knees  a knockin' when I'm picking my numbers.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Big Hitter's avatar - tdspin17 e0.gif
                      Constitutional Money Is Real Money
                      Brick City
                      United States
                      Member #1216
                      March 3, 2003
                      1782 Posts
                      Posted: March 27, 2008, 8:13 am - IP Logged

I play MM every draw, so the current JP has very little influence on how much I play. If the JP goes over 250 Mil, I may double up on my ususal play. I'll take any JP I can get.

Whatever you fear most has no power - it is your fear that has the power.
                      Oprah Winfrey

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                      (attributed to) Albert Einstein

I have failed many times, and that's why I am a success.
                      Michael Jordan

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals
                      himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Albert Einstein

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                        Washington State
                        United States
                        Member #33973
                        February 26, 2006
                        347 Posts
                        Posted: March 27, 2008, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

I dont see any problem with sharing tickets only from drawings where the jackpot is over a certain threshold. You definitely can't limit the sharing to jackpots of a certain size, because that would be a tacit acknowledgement that you are sharing the jackpot rather than the ticket. An agreement that says that you are buying and immediately gifting shares of a ticket for any drawing where the advertised jackpot (specifying either annuity or cash value) is at or beyond some threshold should be clear proof that the gift was a share of a ticket with a trivial value, and isn't subject to gift taxes. Should you win a modest jackpot you can obviously make gifts from the proceeds and keep them below the threshold for gift taxes.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I may change the wording on my notorized statement next time.  The current statement is good through June 30, so I'll be doing another one in a few months.  When I made the current one I was only buying MM tickets when the jackpot got larger and switching to buying state lotto tickets (where the probability is better) if the MM was low.  I didn't do a gifting statement for the state lotto.