Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Payback For Winners

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Bagent.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Should lottery winners payback debts?

All creditors/debts no matter what. [ 33 ]  [52.38%]
Only ones in last 20 years. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Only ones in last 10 years. [ 1 ]  [1.59%]
Only debt in last 7 years. [ 3 ]  [4.76%]
All debt, but over a period of time. [ 1 ]  [1.59%]
Only verifiable debt. [ 10 ]  [15.87%]
Everything on credit report. [ 1 ]  [1.59%]
Everything on accurate credit report [ 8 ]  [12.70%]
No debt period. [ 3 ]  [4.76%]
Other, explain. [ 3 ]  [4.76%]
Total Valid Votes [ 63 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2008, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

I chose "Other" since this question has too many "what ifs" to it.   I mean, if you borrowed $1 from someone back in 1957, do you try to find that person?  Imagine the interest!  LOL   If a friend let you crash at his house in 1968, do you look him up and offer to buy him a condo?

Another question is "what do you mean by debt?"   Debt to society?   I don't want to start that long argument that was debated for several pages not long ago, but does this mean everyone who has ever gotten help from the government should pay back every penny?  This would mean that if someone wins a small jackpot like $100,000 he/she might not end up with a dime.  So do they make a rule that this only applies to jackpots over a million? 

What about the people who have been incarcerated for a criminal offense?  Then there are those unfortunate people who have been homeless at one time or another and stayed at a shelter or have had emotional problems, mental illness or substance abuse and lived in a state run psychiatric ward.  Should every person who spent time in foster care as a child pay back what was spent on his room & board?  If you went to a free clinic for medical treatment, do you pay that back or how about a college scholarship awarded to you, since many are paid for by the lottery?

If you are talking about debt, meaning unpaid bills, it's none of anyone's business as long as the debt isn't delinquent.  In other words, if I owe money on a mortgage, a car or have some outstanding credit card balances, whether I pay those off or continue to make payments is up to me.  Of course it doesn't make sense to pay interest on debt unless you are making more in investments, but it's certainly not the winner's obligation to pay off all of his bills just because he wins some money.  In fact, a lot of wealthy people have outstanding loans. The word "debt" isn't necessarily something negative.  Sometimes it's used as financial leverage. 

I'm not sure what's being asked here, since I never borrowed money from anyone in my life except my parents when I had a medical emergency and we set up a payment plan.  If they were still alive, of course I'd give them money anyway if I won the lottery. 

Any bills or charges I didn't pay in the past was because I didn't feel they were justified and usually settled those disputes legally.  

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2008, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

I chose "Other" since this question has too many "what ifs" to it.   I mean, if you borrowed $1 from someone back in 1957, do you try to find that person?  Imagine the interest!  LOL   If a friend let you crash at his house in 1968, do you look him up and offer to buy him a condo?

Another question is "what do you mean by debt?"   Debt to society?   I don't want to start that long argument that was debated for several pages not long ago, but does this mean everyone who has ever gotten help from the government should pay back every penny?  This would mean that if someone wins a small jackpot like $100,000 he/she might not end up with a dime.  So do they make a rule that this only applies to jackpots over a million? 

What about the people who have been incarcerated for a criminal offense?  Then there are those unfortunate people who have been homeless at one time or another and stayed at a shelter or have had emotional problems, mental illness or substance abuse and lived in a state run psychiatric ward.  Should every person who spent time in foster care as a child pay back what was spent on his room & board?  If you went to a free clinic for medical treatment, do you pay that back or how about a college scholarship awarded to you, since many are paid for by the lottery?

If you are talking about debt, meaning unpaid bills, it's none of anyone's business as long as the debt isn't delinquent.  In other words, if I owe money on a mortgage, a car or have some outstanding credit card balances, whether I pay those off or continue to make payments is up to me.  Of course it doesn't make sense to pay interest on debt unless you are making more in investments, but it's certainly not the winner's obligation to pay off all of his bills just because he wins some money.  In fact, a lot of wealthy people have outstanding loans. The word "debt" isn't necessarily something negative.  Sometimes it's used as financial leverage. 

I'm not sure what's being asked here, since I never borrowed money from anyone in my life except my parents when I had a medical emergency and we set up a payment plan.  If they were still alive, of course I'd give them money anyway if I won the lottery. 

Any bills or charges I didn't pay in the past was because I didn't feel they were justified and usually settled those disputes legally.  

I knew it....!

She's a lawyer.....

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: March 28, 2008, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

I knew it....!

She's a lawyer.....

Don't I wish!  I've passed a lot of bars lately, Pac, but not that one.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
        Member #5344
        June 30, 2004
        23641 Posts
        Posted: March 29, 2008, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

Don't I wish!  I've passed a lot of bars lately, Pac, but not that one.

Fantastic...

To some out there that took a lot of courage... lol

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
          Member #60535
          April 21, 2008
          460 Posts
          Posted: April 22, 2008, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

Credit score? I wouldn't give 2 schmidts about my credit score after a win.

Any big ticket items would be paid for by wire transfer. And the only card I'd have in my pocket would be a debit card. Why would I want to buy anything that has an 18% rate attached to it.They're already raking in billions a year, and I won't be one of the contributors.

I don't even want a debit card NOW.  Those get scammed so easily.  We had a local theft ring at our mexican restaraunts where they would take 500-1000 bucks out of the bank of people using their debit cards.  Could you imagine someone scamming you out of MILLIONS? that's your cash money you are messing with.  What if a waiter at a restaraunt recognized you and stole your number and id number on the back? I guess i'm just paranoid.

I would stick with cash and one credit card.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
            A long and winding road
            United States
            Member #17084
            June 10, 2005
            4580 Posts
            Posted: April 22, 2008, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

gamermom, a person is not liable if credit/debit card is lost or stolen.

No way would I trust an accountant either! Even Oprah signs all her checks and micro-manages her personal finances.

I chose to pay the debts that are legitimate and within the laws of collecting.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

United States
              Member #60535
              April 21, 2008
              460 Posts
              Posted: April 22, 2008, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

gamermom, a person is not liable if credit/debit card is lost or stolen.

No way would I trust an accountant either! Even Oprah signs all her checks and micro-manages her personal finances.

I chose to pay the debts that are legitimate and within the laws of collecting.

i'm not talking about it being lost or stolen. i have read in Reader's Digest scammers can attatch devices to card readers at gas pumps, Wal-Mart, etc and tap into your account while you have no clue until you read your bank statement or if you are like me you check your account online the next day.  I can't remember how they said it works but i never use my debit card unless I have to.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                Member #4121
                March 23, 2004
                817 Posts
                Posted: April 22, 2008, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

Yes with interest!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: April 22, 2008, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

Why not pay back accurate & current debt? One less thing for the press to yowl about (and draw the attention of 'me too' moochers to your door)

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                  Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                    Charlotte NC
                    United States
                    Member #17406
                    June 18, 2005
                    4054 Posts
                    Posted: April 28, 2008, 11:28 am - IP Logged

congrats

You were brave starting this poll.   I started one like this asking if someone who received government assistance because they didn't want to work should or should not repay after a big win.

Apparently it touched a lot of raw nerves of those on government assistance.

With a 100 million win, there would be no way they would miss the pay back. 

Apparently it touched a lot of raw nerves of those on government assistance.

Good that this was said behind a computer screen.

takeemtothebank

United States
                      Member #60535
                      April 21, 2008
                      460 Posts
                      Posted: April 28, 2008, 11:31 am - IP Logged

omg Tena that pic is too funny

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                        Member #5344
                        June 30, 2004
                        23641 Posts
                        Posted: April 28, 2008, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

Looks like the majority plays fair.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Pittsburgh, PA
                          United States
                          Member #58600
                          February 21, 2008
                          43 Posts
                          Posted: April 30, 2008, 12:52 am - IP Logged

I would only pay back my college loans which total $40k.  All other debts are small and I don't plan on paying them.  I have a $20 collection from a doctor that I already paid.  Over the past two years they send me a letter saying I owe them $20, and they do this twice a month.  So really they have spent over $20 in postage trying to get me to pay a $20 debt.  These type of idiots wont be getting paid.

WHO CARES WHAT YOUR CREDIT SCORE IS IF YOU WIN MILLIONS?  I would never get another credit card and pay for everything in CASH.   Seriously what do you need credit for?  A $50 Million yacht you can't afford?  Unreal how some of you think.

Even if you didn't pay back your debts, ANYONE would still loan you money.  Let's say hypothetically you have a credit score of 500, but you have millions in the bank, you could borrow whatever you wanted.  However, like I said, if you are lucky enough to win, SCREW CREDIT, pay by cash.

Why do you think federal student loans are protected by bankruptcy?  Years and years ago, doctors and lawyers would rack up 6 figures in student loans then default and declare bankruptcy.  Once youre a professional it doesn't matter what youre credit score is really because cash and income is what really matters. 

So when I hit Powerball this wednesday and you are one of my creditors who think I owe you money from 7 years ago, youre goign to have to spend a load of money trying to sue me for it.  "Talk to my lawyer.  Here's his number."

Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
                            Vancouver, WA
                            United States
                            Member #53665
                            July 15, 2007
                            151 Posts
                            Posted: April 30, 2008, 5:48 am - IP Logged

As most posters have stated already, all the debt that I owe will need to be paid.  This is not to say that I will be paying for stuff that I have no debt for, so I will monitor what is owed and what is valid.