Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tithes

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 9 years ago by MaddMike51.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

After winning a lottery would give 10% in tithes and offerings?

No [ 11 ]  [20.37%]
Yes [ 23 ]  [42.59%]
No, because I am not a religious person. [ 10 ]  [18.52%]
Maybe [ 4 ]  [7.41%]
Undecided [ 1 ]  [1.85%]
other/explain [ 5 ]  [9.26%]
Total Valid Votes [ 54 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
Hard Luck, Ak
United States
Member #23472
October 13, 2005
275 Posts
Posted: March 24, 2008, 11:06 am - IP Logged

As for myself I would give at least 10 to 15 percent in tithes and offerings and then seek legal counsel on how to invest the rest after helping out friends and family. (If you look at U.S. currency it states IN GOD WE TRUST, not IN MONEY WE TRUST) That being said I believe that he created this world and gave us the power to obtain wealth, So he is owed at least 10%.  Also we all know that you can not take it with you, so why not use it to make a difference in some ones life? Ok I am done preaching, I was just curious what other LP members thought. Big Grin Angel

"We make a living by what you get, You make a LIFE by what you give!"

Sir Winston ChurchillSun Smiley

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: March 24, 2008, 11:24 am - IP Logged

ill throw all the money in the air, whatever god catches he can keep.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: March 24, 2008, 11:28 am - IP Logged

I voted no because I'm not religous, but I do believe in helping others less fortunate.

I would secretly give to those I deem truly in need. I can't change the world with a lottery win, but If I could help someone 2 or 3 times a month, I could enjoy the food I put in my mouth with a clear conscience.

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8363 Posts
        Posted: March 24, 2008, 11:41 am - IP Logged

If you look at U.S. currency it states IN GOD WE TRUST, not IN MONEY WE TRUST

IN GOD WE TRUST ------ all others pay cash

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
          Gurnee, Illinois
          United States
          Member #49731
          February 12, 2007
          917 Posts
          Posted: March 24, 2008, 11:43 am - IP Logged

I would give 10%...yes God does give us the power to get wealth and He also can bless us with long life to enjoy that wealth.  Get greedy and try to horde that 10% to yourself...I would hate to be that person.  BTW it doesn't require a person being religious to believe in giving...of course, I doubt an atheist would give any bit of 10% to any church but there are wealthy atheist who do give to some type of charitable cause.  Thankfully for them, God gave us all the freedom to choose the path we want to take here on earth...I just hate to think how it will turn out for them on the other side however.

Another point that might be a bone of contention for people is that many pastors preach against playing the lottery.  There is no where in the Bible that says playing the lottery is a sin or is wrong.  That is merely their opinion, and I don't let the opinions of other people rule my life.  Of course, that same minister would be very happy indeed to see the church coffers filled with that 10% tithe derived from lottery winnings.  If there are any lay people secretly perusing this site, feel free to respond to this poll.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

United States
            Member #58528
            February 18, 2008
            710 Posts
            Posted: March 24, 2008, 11:48 am - IP Logged

No,to tithing.Yes to helping less fortunate folks....but I get to choose who I help.It won't be an organized charity.

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: March 24, 2008, 11:56 am - IP Logged

I would give 10%...yes God does give us the power to get wealth and He also can bless us with long life to enjoy that wealth.  Get greedy and try to horde that 10% to yourself...I would hate to be that person.  BTW it doesn't require a person being religious to believe in giving...of course, I doubt an atheist would give any bit of 10% to any church but there are wealthy atheist who do give to some type of charitable cause.  Thankfully for them, God gave us all the freedom to choose the path we want to take here on earth...I just hate to think how it will turn out for them on the other side however.

Another point that might be a bone of contention for people is that many pastors preach against playing the lottery.  There is no where in the Bible that says playing the lottery is a sin or is wrong.  That is merely their opinion, and I don't let the opinions of other people rule my life.  Of course, that same minister would be very happy indeed to see the church coffers filled with that 10% tithe derived from lottery winnings.  If there are any lay people secretly perusing this site, feel free to respond to this poll.

I just hate to think how it will turn out for them on the other side however.

You mean an all Loving God would punish someone who was charitable but didn't subscribe to a particular belief system? Hmmm....

We've got a tough crowd up there. Scared

Goatmilk's avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
                Missouri
                United States
                Member #59680
                March 24, 2008
                79 Posts
                Posted: March 24, 2008, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

Another point that might be a bone of contention for people is that many pastors preach against playing the lottery

They preach against it and then they come to my store and purchase their lottery tickets but try to be discreet.  They say gambling is the work of the devil yet they wouldn't mind collecting money from a lottery win?  Hypocrites!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49784 Posts
                  Posted: March 24, 2008, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

I just hate to think how it will turn out for them on the other side however.

You mean an all Loving God would punish someone who was charitable but didn't subscribe to a particular belief system? Hmmm....

We've got a tough crowd up there. Scared

No good deed goes unpunished! LOL!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

catsrule's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                    Member #55084
                    September 10, 2007
                    347 Posts
                    Posted: March 24, 2008, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

I would give 20% to my church. As for me playing lottery isn't bad because in my state the money goes to help the elderly. So if i loose i know my money is helping them out.

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: March 24, 2008, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

No good deed goes unpunished! LOL!

Does this mean when I see Thor, he'll smite me with his hammer?

Or if I see Mohamad, will lock me up in a basement full of insurance salesmen, and 72 virginians?

I think I'll need a lawyer over there. Is there a double jeopardy law there?

Blue Angel   Red Devil

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10353 Posts
                        Posted: March 24, 2008, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

Oy vey, here we go, tithitng...ok, I'll ask - based on gross or net?

This is a common discussion among church goers - I'd love to see those who insist tithing should be based on gross hit a lottey jackpot and see if they still felt that way!!!

FYI

Even among those who claim to tithe, the average is nothing near 10%, statistically it's 2 to 3 %.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                          Member #9517
                          December 10, 2004
                          1272 Posts
                          Posted: March 24, 2008, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

No, because I'm not religious. Some percentage will be given to charities.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                            Washington State
                            United States
                            Member #33973
                            February 26, 2006
                            347 Posts
                            Posted: March 24, 2008, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Hmmmm, in biblical times most "charity" was done through the church.  Now the government and various charities not affiliated with churches do most of that.  So in my thinking, the church no longer "needs" 10%.

It would depend upon the size of the jackpot, of course, but most likely I'd give far more than 10% to charities, but far less than 10% directly to a church.

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
                              Member #55246
                              September 20, 2007
                              225 Posts
                              Posted: March 24, 2008, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

YES!Smile