Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Whats the odds probability?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 9 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
md
United States
Member #14047
April 20, 2005
579 Posts
Posted: March 24, 2008, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

I have, for the first time purchased Mega Million tickets in 3 places (Md/N.J./Ga) Oh, $40 in each state for a total spent of $120.  I just happened to be in all three locations being Saturday morning and tonight. 

For the mathmaticians, what are my chances of winning the Jack Pot tomorrow night? 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1953 Posts
    Posted: March 24, 2008, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

I have, for the first time purchased Mega Million tickets in 3 places (Md/N.J./Ga) Oh, $40 in each state for a total spent of $120.  I just happened to be in all three locations being Saturday morning and tonight. 

For the mathmaticians, what are my chances of winning the Jack Pot tomorrow night? 

1 in 1,464,262.Thumbs Up

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19815 Posts
      Posted: March 24, 2008, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

Assuming none of the tickets have the same combinations, your odds of winning the jackpot are the same as they would be if you bought all your tickets in the same place (120:175,711,536).  Since the overall odds of winning something are 1:39.8, you can expect to win three smaller prizes.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

md
        United States
        Member #14047
        April 20, 2005
        579 Posts
        Posted: March 24, 2008, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

Assuming none of the tickets have the same combinations, your odds of winning the jackpot are the same as they would be if you bought all your tickets in the same place (120:175,711,536).  Since the overall odds of winning something are 1:39.8, you can expect to win three smaller prizes.

Thank you very much!

EVERYWHERE
          United States
          Member #58052
          January 28, 2008
          9 Posts
          Posted: March 25, 2008, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Guess im heading out to get my ticket to see if i can defy the odss of 1 in a billion...lol

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19815 Posts
            Posted: March 25, 2008, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

Guess im heading out to get my ticket to see if i can defy the odss of 1 in a billion...lol

Which game are you playing?  I thought MegaMillions with odds of 1:176M were the highest.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: March 25, 2008, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Which game are you playing?  I thought MegaMillions with odds of 1:176M were the highest.

I think he was being sarcastic. Wink

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: March 27, 2008, 3:31 am - IP Logged

Same as anybody else's - RARE.

If you are looking for that silver bullet that whittles your chances from 1 in 171 mill down to 1 in 2, you ain't found it.