Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Which scenario would you prefer??

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 9 years ago by DC81.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
482 Posts
Posted: March 27, 2008, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

#1. Winning the jackpot in an anonymous state where you can claim the ticket yourself (such as DE, ND, KS, MD, SC) 

OR

#2.  Winning the jackpot in an anonymous state where you need an attorney to claim the prize for you (such as LA, NH, OH, OK). 

After all, you would be anonymous both ways, but don't forget that although no one at the lottery headquarters will see you if your attorney claimed the prize, the attorney would have control over the prize and you wouldn't have discretion over the assets since it would be a "blind trust".  Which would you prefer and why?

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31347 Posts
    Posted: March 27, 2008, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

love to nibble those micey feet.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: March 27, 2008, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

I would probably just choose number one.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
        Member #567
        August 14, 2002
        482 Posts
        Posted: March 27, 2008, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the responses, but what made you reach that decision? Either way, you would be anonymous, but is either option better than the other?  Why or why not?

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: March 27, 2008, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the responses, but what made you reach that decision? Either way, you would be anonymous, but is either option better than the other?  Why or why not?

I guess I would rather pick the check up myself then have an attorney do it. I would want the control.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
            Member #58528
            February 18, 2008
            710 Posts
            Posted: March 27, 2008, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

Since I don't live in a state that allows anonymity,I would consult an attorney and have him/her explain my options in detail so I could make a better informed decision.

United States
              Member #59720
              March 25, 2008
              52 Posts
              Posted: March 27, 2008, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

I'm pretty educated when it comes to financial decisions and whatnot, so I would certainly rather claim it myself rather than paying a lawyer to do anything.

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: March 27, 2008, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

I picked 4.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10351 Posts
                  Posted: March 27, 2008, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

#1, because if 2 your jackpot and your attorney may very well go to Switzerland!

(A lot of lawyer jokes come to mind here, such as Danny De Vito in War of the Roses:

"What do you call 300 lawyers on the bottom of the ocean?

A good start."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                    Member #52345
                    May 21, 2007
                    2659 Posts
                    Posted: March 27, 2008, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

#1, because if 2 your jackpot and your attorney may very well go to Switzerland!

(A lot of lawyer jokes come to mind here, such as Danny De Vito in War of the Roses:

"What do you call 300 lawyers on the bottom of the ocean?

A good start."

Agree with stupid

sweetbitterkiss's avatar - hello
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #59499
                      March 17, 2008
                      54 Posts
                      Posted: March 27, 2008, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

i have to say number 1

one day my life will be complete ^_^

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7308 Posts
                        Posted: March 27, 2008, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

#1. Winning the jackpot in an anonymous state where you can claim the ticket yourself (such as DE, ND, KS, MD, SC) 

OR

#2.  Winning the jackpot in an anonymous state where you need an attorney to claim the prize for you (such as LA, NH, OH, OK). 

After all, you would be anonymous both ways, but don't forget that although no one at the lottery headquarters will see you if your attorney claimed the prize, the attorney would have control over the prize and you wouldn't have discretion over the assets since it would be a "blind trust".  Which would you prefer and why?

My preference is to find a method of play that gives me the best chances of winning a jackpot. It's nice to know that I can remain anonymous in Ohio but it's useless information if the numbers I picked for Mega Millions are drawn in a Powerball game.

The Ohio Lottery has a slogan "Odds are you'll have fun" but I don't see any fun in looking for a hiding place and not being able to spend my winnings fearing somebody might notice.

"Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings."

and

"the attorney would have control over the prize and you wouldn't have discretion over the assets since it would be a "blind trust"."

To remain anonymous we must give our winning ticket to a lawyer whose name we found in the Yellow Pages and then have no control over the assists. It will make nice headlines in the News forum; "Lottery winner sues their lawyer for control of their assists" or "A man claimed he bought the winning ticket and was swindled by a crooked lawyer who placed the winnings in an offshore account and has fled the country". 

What part of "smart lottery winners" don't I understand?

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                          Gurnee, Illinois
                          United States
                          Member #49731
                          February 12, 2007
                          917 Posts
                          Posted: March 27, 2008, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

My preference is to find a method of play that gives me the best chances of winning a jackpot. It's nice to know that I can remain anonymous in Ohio but it's useless information if the numbers I picked for Mega Millions are drawn in a Powerball game.

The Ohio Lottery has a slogan "Odds are you'll have fun" but I don't see any fun in looking for a hiding place and not being able to spend my winnings fearing somebody might notice.

"Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings."

and

"the attorney would have control over the prize and you wouldn't have discretion over the assets since it would be a "blind trust"."

To remain anonymous we must give our winning ticket to a lawyer whose name we found in the Yellow Pages and then have no control over the assists. It will make nice headlines in the News forum; "Lottery winner sues their lawyer for control of their assists" or "A man claimed he bought the winning ticket and was swindled by a crooked lawyer who placed the winnings in an offshore account and has fled the country". 

What part of "smart lottery winners" don't I understand?

Here's a method of play that would guarantee you winning either the MM or PB jackpots....buy 177 million tickets!!!  Cover all possible number combinations.  Otherwise, just buy a dollar or 10 dollars worth of QPs and hope for the best.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                            Gurnee, Illinois
                            United States
                            Member #49731
                            February 12, 2007
                            917 Posts
                            Posted: March 27, 2008, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

I would say option 2 because no matter what state I lived in and I happened to win a jackpot prize, I would utilize the services of a team of lawyers.  Of course, I would be present at the claiming, so I would not worry about any shinanigans taking place.  Truthfully, I am not so concerned about remaining anonymous as I would be about setting up the appropriate structures to protect my wealth.  I would move into more upscale living accommodations and drive nicer cars. 

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                              Member #4121
                              March 23, 2004
                              817 Posts
                              Posted: March 28, 2008, 10:46 am - IP Logged

I voted #1 and move to a private island.