Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Statistically Speaking

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 9 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Are Most Wins QP or Selected Numbers

Most Wins (over 70-75%)are QP [ 18 ]  [52.94%]
Most wins (over 60 %) are QP [ 5 ]  [14.71%]
Most wins (over 55%) are QP [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Most wins (over 50%) are QP [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
Most wins (over 70-75% are selected #s [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
Most wins (over 60%) are selected #s [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Most wins (over 55%) are selected #s [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Most wins (Over 50%) are selected #s [ 1 ]  [2.94%]
I do not know the statistics [ 6 ]  [17.65%]
Total Valid Votes [ 34 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
Member #24380
October 21, 2005
623 Posts
Posted: March 30, 2008, 7:47 am - IP Logged

I thought I read that most wins are quick picks (QP), maybe not.  Well, now I remember calling the LA Lottery once and the operator stated that most Lotto Wins were QP in LA, even PB.  So-what are the statistics for the games.  Any math savvy LP Members out there know?

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
    Member #91
    January 19, 2002
    12015 Posts
    Posted: March 30, 2008, 9:50 am - IP Logged

Last stat I heard is that approx: 75% of the winners are QP, however I also heard that approx:75% of the numbers played are QP's also.....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19903 Posts
      Posted: March 30, 2008, 10:51 am - IP Logged

WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?

About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks. About 70% to80% of winners are computer picks. Perhaps just one of those weird coincidences?

I've seen similar remarks on other lottery websites too.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8396 Posts
        Posted: March 30, 2008, 11:21 am - IP Logged

I thought I read that most wins are quick picks (QP), maybe not.  Well, now I remember calling the LA Lottery once and the operator stated that most Lotto Wins were QP in LA, even PB.  So-what are the statistics for the games.  Any math savvy LP Members out there know?

Your post made me wonder if we would have higher jackpots if we were all forced to select our own numbers and there were no such thing as quick picks. We may very well have seen jackpots in the 1/2 million dollar range or higher. Probably because people would be playing more lower numbers. Humm!

However it's a known fact that more jackpots are won with Qpicks because more Qpicks are sold than personal picks.

konane's avatar - wallace
          Atlanta, GA
          United States
          Member #1265
          March 13, 2003
          3351 Posts
          Posted: March 30, 2008, 11:40 am - IP Logged

Your post made me wonder if we would have higher jackpots if we were all forced to select our own numbers and there were no such thing as quick picks. We may very well have seen jackpots in the 1/2 million dollar range or higher. Probably because people would be playing more lower numbers. Humm!

However it's a known fact that more jackpots are won with Qpicks because more Qpicks are sold than personal picks.

Years ago in Lotto World Magazine [out of print for years] there are more winners among people who select their own numbers as opposed to QP.  Imagine it still holds true although I haven't seen any follow up articles.

Good luck to everyone!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: March 30, 2008, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

Years ago in Lotto World Magazine [out of print for years] there are more winners among people who select their own numbers as opposed to QP.  Imagine it still holds true although I haven't seen any follow up articles.

That might be true with games like Pick 3 and Pick 4, but not with jackpot games.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

konane's avatar - wallace
              Atlanta, GA
              United States
              Member #1265
              March 13, 2003
              3351 Posts
              Posted: March 30, 2008, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

That might be true with games like Pick 3 and Pick 4, but not with jackpot games.

If memory serves me they were talking about jackpot games because those were the majority of the magazine's focus .... winning the big one.

Clarification to my first statement.  Lotto World says more quick picks win because more quick picks were played ......  however, there was a higher percentage of winners among those who chose their own numbers.

Good luck to everyone!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19903 Posts
                Posted: March 30, 2008, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

The way the question is answered at the PowerBall website FAQ section it seems like it makes no difference. 

The only people who says it does are those selling lottery software and they just say players have won using their software.  They never mention how much players lose using their software.

The LP predictors pick their own numbers, but their win percentages aren't higher than the win percentages for the general public.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10392 Posts
                  Posted: March 30, 2008, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Pick a state and a game, subscribe to the e-mail ist of winners, track it for yourself for awhile, and see what you find.

I just finished a comparison of the first 89 days of 2007 and 2008 for Illinois Little Lotto, a daily 5/39 game (Pick 5 Forum):

Here's the results:

First 89 days of 2007 were:

2007 Jackpots: 

Jan:  14 QP, 6 player selected numbers

Feb:  13 QP, 6 player selected numbers

Mar:  16 QP, 4 player seplected numbers 

For those 89 days that was 43 QP winners and 16 player's numbers winners, or 72.8% QPs.

First 89 days of 2008 

39 jackpots 29 QP 19 PS

74.3% QP 

So one year apart and the QPs were within 1.5% of each other.

72.8% the first year, 74.3% the next year, pretty consistent.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: March 30, 2008, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

The ticket I hit on Friday night on MM were hand picked.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

ConstantlyB's avatar - chi
                      Wilson
                      United States
                      Member #54516
                      August 21, 2007
                      2802 Posts
                      Posted: March 30, 2008, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

the lines i choose i play separate from the ones the computer gives me......usually I choose my own PB number.

"MAKE THAT MONEY YA'LL"

wisdom from Tyler Perry's Madea:"It doesn't matter what people call you....it's what you answer to."

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                        Member #41383
                        June 16, 2006
                        1969 Posts
                        Posted: March 31, 2008, 2:16 am - IP Logged

If memory serves me they were talking about jackpot games because those were the majority of the magazine's focus .... winning the big one.

Clarification to my first statement.  Lotto World says more quick picks win because more quick picks were played ......  however, there was a higher percentage of winners among those who chose their own numbers.

I read that somewhere about 2 months ago.

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3502 Posts
                          Posted: March 31, 2008, 3:54 am - IP Logged

You probably read it here. Somebody said that someone selling a system claimed that a higher percentage of self-picks win, and Coin Toss pointed out that the source of the claim isn't an unbiased source.

The diamond industry says you should spend two months salary on an engagement ring, and the ice cream industry thinks your ideal weight is 300 pounds. 

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3502 Posts
                            Posted: March 31, 2008, 3:56 am - IP Logged

The ticket I hit on Friday night on MM were hand picked.

Every ticket I've bought this year was a self-pick. Is there some reason that you think my tickets or yours have any relevance at all to the current discussion?