Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Info. re: tickets

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 9 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10392 Posts
Posted: March 31, 2008, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

From The Lottery Book, The Truth Behind the Numbers, by Don Catlin:

If you have a flatbed scanner in your home, make a copy of the ticket and put it in another place, such as your car. Why? Even if the ticket is in a metal box a fire will destroy it. There have ben instances of people losing lottery tickets but because they had proof that they had indeed owned the winning ticket they were awarded the prize. You should alos write your name somewhere on the ticket with the words "ticket owner".

I guess this would go for making a copy on a copier, too.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: March 31, 2008, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

I think if my house was on fire, the last thing on my mind would be a ticket that "may" be the winner of a JP. With such bad luck as a fire, the ticket would probably be a loser anyway...lol

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
      mn
      United States
      Member #59040
      March 4, 2008
      276 Posts
      Posted: March 31, 2008, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

If you have a flatbed scanner in your home, make a copy of the ticket and put it in another place, such as your car.

Why would you have a flatbed scanner in your house, you can do the exact same thing with a digital camera? The chances of a fire happening after I win the lottery would be astronomical, so I wouldn't worry about it.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
      "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10392 Posts
        Posted: March 31, 2008, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

Well, evidently it has happened. From the passage in the book in the OP:

"There have been instances of people losing lottery tickets but becausethey had proof that they had indeed owned the winning ticket they wereawarded the prize."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
          Member #58803
          February 26, 2008
          14 Posts
          Posted: March 31, 2008, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

On the subject of tickets...I was just reading the other day about the millions of dollars that go unclaimed (for example, google "unclaimed lottery tickets" and look for the nytimes link).

Definitely food for thought about keeping your tickets safe.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: April 16, 2008, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

Well, evidently it has happened. From the passage in the book in the OP:

"There have been instances of people losing lottery tickets but becausethey had proof that they had indeed owned the winning ticket they wereawarded the prize."

I think that's a very good idea, Coin Toss.  Regarding having a flatbed scanner in your home, I thought that was very common.  I don't have a separate scanner, but I have an inexpensive AIO that scans well.  If I won the lottery, the very first thing I'd do (after screaming and fainting) would be to make copies of the back & front of the ticket and sign it.  We've had at least 2 tornado warnings in the past month, so I don't think being cautious is going overboard.  If I won the Lotto and needed time to make plans first before going to the Lottery Office, I would place it in my safe deposit box for a couple of weeks.  After 2+ years on this board, I think I've changed my thinking a little. There's no reason to wait a long time, since you can always claim your jackpot and seek financial advice after you get the money.  I wouldn't want a tiny piece of paper worth millions sitting in a metal box or even under my bed or in a safe. 

Pogo's avatar - wfl
              NC
              United States
              Member #29378
              January 1, 2006
              552 Posts
              Posted: April 16, 2008, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

I hate to admit it but when I was in college & didn't have much money - I would go through the throw out tickets (scratchers) and would not only cash in enough money for food but would also pay for some numbers... Winning scratchers get thrown out all the time, either it wasn't looked at right or the ticket doesn't show a win but the code says there's a win and it cashes out fine even though there's not a winner on the ticket - happened to me 2X in VA... Pogo

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                San Jose, California
                United States
                Member #42003
                June 26, 2006
                206 Posts
                Posted: April 17, 2008, 1:16 am - IP Logged

To Rubberbandman

It's a quick and bright idea for saving proof of lottery ticket. I don't have a digital camera, but I use my cellphone instead.

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                  mn
                  United States
                  Member #59040
                  March 4, 2008
                  276 Posts
                  Posted: April 17, 2008, 9:17 am - IP Logged

To Rubberbandman

It's a quick and bright idea for saving proof of lottery ticket. I don't have a digital camera, but I use my cellphone instead.

Really, don't scanners cost close to a hundred dollars, whereas cellphones and cameras are near 20-50 dollars. I dont know if it's really a quick and bright idea, not many people have scanners, and cellphones, and cameras are more common, so that seems more economical.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
                  "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3316 Posts
                    Posted: April 17, 2008, 11:39 am - IP Logged

here is what we do if a fire burns the ticket in my country

http://www.salotteries.sa.gov.au/Content.aspx?p=150

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                      Member #47420
                      November 4, 2006
                      3930 Posts
                      Posted: April 17, 2008, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

Put your winning ticket in your refrigerator if you don't want to put in a bank deposit box..

JustFrozen's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
                        OC, CALI
                        United States
                        Member #59564
                        March 19, 2008
                        76 Posts
                        Posted: April 17, 2008, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

until the wife happens to clean it out and it went in the dump a few days ago when the trash was picked up Bang Head

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: April 17, 2008, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

here is what we do if a fire burns the ticket in my country

http://www.salotteries.sa.gov.au/Content.aspx?p=150

Yeah, but the amount you pay out is also the advertised amout of the jackpot, too. Roll Eyes No expiry periods, & no taxes, IIRC. We can't be having those kinds of shenanigans going on, here. We must ensure the state has a few opportunities to keep the prize even if there is a winner.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                            Member #24380
                            October 21, 2005
                            623 Posts
                            Posted: April 17, 2008, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

I think that's a very good idea, Coin Toss.  Regarding having a flatbed scanner in your home, I thought that was very common.  I don't have a separate scanner, but I have an inexpensive AIO that scans well.  If I won the lottery, the very first thing I'd do (after screaming and fainting) would be to make copies of the back & front of the ticket and sign it.  We've had at least 2 tornado warnings in the past month, so I don't think being cautious is going overboard.  If I won the Lotto and needed time to make plans first before going to the Lottery Office, I would place it in my safe deposit box for a couple of weeks.  After 2+ years on this board, I think I've changed my thinking a little. There's no reason to wait a long time, since you can always claim your jackpot and seek financial advice after you get the money.  I wouldn't want a tiny piece of paper worth millions sitting in a metal box or even under my bed or in a safe. 

I Agree!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                              Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #56506
                              November 21, 2007
                              6537 Posts
                              Posted: April 19, 2008, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

I have an all in one device. I can scan, print, copy and fax with my machine. It was well-priced. I love it!

printer

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."