Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 12:05 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Another 'What would you do' discussion

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 9 years ago by mylollipop.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10389 Posts
Posted: April 1, 2008, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

But this one might be a little different. I'm putting it here as it could apply to any jackpot game, but granted a large PB or MM jackpot would make it a lot more interesting.

And no, it hasn't happened to me, but I'm just playing "what if".

Let's say there's somebody you play MM with, almost every draw...

And let's say you used to play two separate tickets, but you've convinced them to each play the same set of numbers so in case you did "get hit by lightning" and have the right numbers, you'd simply each cash your own ticket in to get your share of the jackpot- intead of scrambling to get a lawyer, form a trust, etc...

(Part of the reason for this is he has a very large family, and if we were in on the same ticket with him it would be far more than a three way split (my wife, myself, and him. Most of his family, if not all, would be going, "Great, WE won.")

So, just for grins, if you played another ticket, independent of the tickets you play with him, would you cut him in? (Jackpot only, lower prizes are an auomatic solo). There's nothing in wirting, and you know that he plays independently of you- boy does he play independently of you.

Just curious, what would you do - and it wouldn't surprise me to hear about folks here in similar situations.

I'm not talking a pool or any such thing, just two entities each playing the same numbers as to avoid a hassle.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
    Member #4877
    May 30, 2004
    5142 Posts
    Posted: April 1, 2008, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss:

pac like that would only give my sun spot baby ..........excuse to go see her sister & believe me she would walk out the door with "BOTH TICKET's" 2!

believe me she would RETURN if the tickets were a DUD but, & always a

BUTT, the AMERICAN EXPRE$$$$$$$$ was a sure>>>>>>SHOT !!!!

NOTE:      several gull's R knocking on my door asking if they may replace the

sun spot baby...........butt, I keep saying NO<NO<AMERICAN EXPRE$$$$$

LOL

PSYKOMO

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
      Member #4877
      May 30, 2004
      5142 Posts
      Posted: April 1, 2008, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

THANK's>>>>>CT>>>>>>for UR another "what U do" DISCU$$ION!!

AS all of U know>>>>>>>sun spot left the PSYKO and took the AX

with HER and  by the L@@Ks of things having a very G@@D>>TIME^

............................in the meanwhile, I've done the best I can do with

with what LIFE has TOSSED me and it has cost PSYKO money 22222

BUTT>>>>>>>>my life must GET-IT-ON>>>>>>>>>>> 22222

TRANSLATION:

The BIG PROMBLEM I have now is to replace sun spot baby with ah

really nice GULL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>L@@K's>>>>> 22222

in the meanwhile, I will keep PLAYING the JACKPOT & if I HIT $$$$$$

I know she will come BACK HOME>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BUTT,..........,I need to replace "HER".............ASAP!!!

LOL

PSYKOMO

JustFrozen's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
        OC, CALI
        United States
        Member #59564
        March 19, 2008
        76 Posts
        Posted: April 1, 2008, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

considering we decided to play seperate tickets, i wouldnt cut him in. however, depending on how good of a friend he is, there's still the possibility of generousity, but as far as the splitting the winnings? either i don't understand the situation presented or i see no reason why i should need to split it. maybe i'm just thinking too logically about it?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19894 Posts
          Posted: April 1, 2008, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

Once two people agree to buy their own ticket with the same set of numbers they don't have an agreement to share their winnings.  It makes no sense for each to buy tickets with the same combinations if they have an agreement to share because it cost them twice as much to lose.

That sounds like the standard agreement I have with everyone I know who play the lotteries.  You buy your own tickets and I buy my own tickets and we don't share the cost or the winnings.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
            Member #28409
            December 15, 2005
            1198 Posts
            Posted: April 1, 2008, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Once two people agree to buy their own ticket with the same set of numbers they don't have an agreement to share their winnings.  It makes no sense for each to buy tickets with the same combinations if they have an agreement to share because it cost them twice as much to lose.

That sounds like the standard agreement I have with everyone I know who play the lotteries.  You buy your own tickets and I buy my own tickets and we don't share the cost or the winnings.

I Agree!

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10389 Posts
              Posted: April 1, 2008, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

To clarify this a little- we play the same ticket, but that' not what I'm asking.

I'm asking would you fel any reason to split a jackpot of a ticket you played on your own, in addition to this  "joint" ticket, would hit?

If he was in the spot, you don't know if he'd cut you in or not, probably not becaause he has a large family.

A little more info- he's the type that has to be "in action" whenever there's a drawing, and it took a while to convince him that a 5/39 $100,000 progressive jackpot or a state lottery pick 6 that starts at $2 million isn't enough to split when all is said and done.

He has a shop and we used to fill out playalips in his shop- but he always wanted everyone in the shop- no matter how many people there - to be involved and get in on the drawing. So now we don't fill out the slips in his shop anymore.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3315 Posts
                Posted: April 2, 2008, 11:49 am - IP Logged

oh so u play a shared ticket with him, and u play the same numbers seperate on your own?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

United States
                  Member #59720
                  March 25, 2008
                  52 Posts
                  Posted: April 2, 2008, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

If the amount of very sufficient, I would give him a little perk. Otherwise, no.

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10389 Posts
                    Posted: April 2, 2008, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

oh so u play a shared ticket with him, and u play the same numbers seperate on your own?

savagegoose

Not quite, we both play the set set of numbers, he plays them, and we play them (as to avoid setting up a trust, legal hassles, etc..) and then we play "independent" tickets....

The guy is a good guy but actually goes into a "feeding frenzy" like a ravenous shark when the jackpot is up - I actually pray that if we don't hit it, someone, somewhere does...

He's the type that wants to involve everybody present in everything, and used to try and get everyone in his shop in on playing- it took me a long time to convince him that if he did hit some people who didn't play would then want to kick in a buck and be included in the jackpot -

"Oh come on, buddy, you know if you wouyld have asked me for a buck I would have went in on it with you"

Hello- he did ask you for a buck and you didn't go in on it.

Lep

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7341 Posts
                      Posted: April 2, 2008, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

To clarify this a little- we play the same ticket, but that' not what I'm asking.

I'm asking would you fel any reason to split a jackpot of a ticket you played on your own, in addition to this  "joint" ticket, would hit?

If he was in the spot, you don't know if he'd cut you in or not, probably not becaause he has a large family.

A little more info- he's the type that has to be "in action" whenever there's a drawing, and it took a while to convince him that a 5/39 $100,000 progressive jackpot or a state lottery pick 6 that starts at $2 million isn't enough to split when all is said and done.

He has a shop and we used to fill out playalips in his shop- but he always wanted everyone in the shop- no matter how many people there - to be involved and get in on the drawing. So now we don't fill out the slips in his shop anymore.

When two people pool a certain amount of tickets, it's more like giving them a fair share if one hits on their own and this is where the problems start. They might be the only person that you are pooling with, but what if they are pooling with a number of other people; you might consider giving them half, but your share might be under 5%.

Since you haven't hit a jackpot, now would be a good time to discuss the "what if" with him.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19894 Posts
                        Posted: April 3, 2008, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

This real lottery winner thinks different then me (a potential lottery winner). 

The metro man who won the $135-million Mega Millions jackpot Tuesday is quitting his job at Ford Motor Co. after 34 years and plans to reward some of the friends who have played the lottery with him in the past.  I hope his friends don't get the idea he should split it equally with them.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080403/NEWS02/804030448

Evil Looking       

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                          mn
                          United States
                          Member #59040
                          March 4, 2008
                          276 Posts
                          Posted: April 3, 2008, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

This real lottery winner thinks different then me (a potential lottery winner). 

The metro man who won the $135-million Mega Millions jackpot Tuesday is quitting his job at Ford Motor Co. after 34 years and plans to reward some of the friends who have played the lottery with him in the past.  I hope his friends don't get the idea he should split it equally with them.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080403/NEWS02/804030448

how come this story isn't on this site yet?

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
                          "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19894 Posts
                            Posted: April 3, 2008, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

how come this story isn't on this site yet?

Todd has said many time that he prefer everyone PM him about a good news story rather than post it in a thread so it can be shared with everyone so I'm sure someone has let him know about it since it's in several thread.  And when they do, if he hasn't already, he will put it in the news section.

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: April 3, 2008, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

"Original Post by Coin Toss

I'm asking would you feel any reason to split a jackpot of a ticket you played on your own, in addition to this  "joint" ticket, would hit?"

No. Non. Não. Nein. Nyet.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.