Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A promise is a promise

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dphillips's avatar - littleuns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
United States
Member #5128
June 18, 2004
377 Posts
Posted: April 8, 2008, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

Since he made the promise (and they are still alive), he should, in good faith, keep his promise to his friends. I am wondering if any of his friends ever give him -- from time-to-time -- a $1.00 toward his dream.

Finally, I don't think people should make promises to family, friends, or coworkers -- if they should win. There are too many jealous, envious people who think you, the winner, owe them something. If these people become hostile, beligerent...just say to them: all you need is a dollar and a dream (this saying used to be New York State's Lottery headliner).

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1953 Posts
    Posted: April 8, 2008, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Could you clarify who "he" is?Confused

Gonna win.Big Smile

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23641 Posts
      Posted: April 8, 2008, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

A promise is "your word".  One without "a word" that is worth something, is nothing.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Albuquerque, New Mexico
        United States
        Member #5128
        June 18, 2004
        377 Posts
        Posted: April 8, 2008, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

I am sorry for the lack of clarification. However, my response was not supposed to have been a new topic -- I hit the wrong button! 

The he is the latest Illinois MEGA Lottey winner who is going to give $1 million dollars to his closest friends.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
          United States
          Member #5128
          June 18, 2004
          377 Posts
          Posted: April 8, 2008, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Guru101

Please see my response at the bottom of the page (1).

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
            Member #91
            January 19, 2002
            11931 Posts
            Posted: April 8, 2008, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

Your talking about the Michigan auto worker right?

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Albuquerque, New Mexico
              United States
              Member #5128
              June 18, 2004
              377 Posts
              Posted: April 8, 2008, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I am talking about the Michigan auto worker.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49758 Posts
                Posted: April 9, 2008, 9:42 am - IP Logged

I am sorry for the lack of clarification. However, my response was not supposed to have been a new topic -- I hit the wrong button! 

The he is the latest Illinois MEGA Lottey winner who is going to give $1 million dollars to his closest friends.

If you notice a posting error within 20 minutes of posting, you can rectify the error by using the Edit or Delete Buttons: Which ever is appropriate to correct such error!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10351 Posts
                  Posted: April 9, 2008, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Since he made the promise (and they are still alive), he should, in good faith, keep his promise to his friends. I am wondering if any of his friends ever give him -- from time-to-time -- a $1.00 toward his dream.

Finally, I don't think people should make promises to family, friends, or coworkers -- if they should win. There are too many jealous, envious people who think you, the winner, owe them something. If these people become hostile, beligerent...just say to them: all you need is a dollar and a dream (this saying used to be New York State's Lottery headliner).

dphillips

I agree with the bottom paragraph of your post -  but not the top one - it's not like these people he promised were unable to play the lottery for themselves.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: April 9, 2008, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

I agree with tntea.  I was brought up that giving your word and a handshake meant everything.  However, people say all sorts of crazy things in the heat of the moment, whether it's out of excitement or anger.  How many times has someone here said "I just want to kill that %$#@!"  You really don't want to kill anyone --  at least I hope not!  Millions of people also promise to love, honor and obey 'til death...well you know!  LOL

Yes, he has so much money now that maybe he should honor his promise, since he publicly announced it.  A few million won't make that much of a dent in his fortune.  But I hope he understands the taxes and speaks to a good attorney before writing any checks.  Giving money to a coworker from a pool might somehow infer the existence of a verbal contract as if they had an agreement to share whatever jackpot they won.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #5128
                      June 18, 2004
                      377 Posts
                      Posted: April 9, 2008, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Raven62

Since I didn't know this, thanks for the info.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #5128
                        June 18, 2004
                        377 Posts
                        Posted: April 9, 2008, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss, you are absolutely correct. Thanks for opening up another line for critical thinking!

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: April 10, 2008, 2:24 am - IP Logged

dphillips

I agree with the bottom paragraph of your post -  but not the top one - it's not like these people he promised were unable to play the lottery for themselves.

You don't think people should keep the promises they make?

The people to whom he made this "promise" (the article in the news forum actually says that he "plans" to give them each a share) were people with whom he routinely played in a pool. He certainly isn't required to give them anything, but that he is offering shares to them from a prize won with a ticket bought independently is a nice and honorable gesture. Despite the conjecture of some people here there doesn't appear to be any indication that he has changed his mind or is trying to weasel out of any promise.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10351 Posts
                            Posted: April 10, 2008, 11:02 am - IP Logged

Interestingly, floyd, I recently started a thread about if you play a ticket with someone (you both plat the same ticket) and then you played a ticket independently of that one, would you feel you'd have to cut them in if the secoind ticket hit.

The conscensus was no.

Making promises is nice, but making promises that are going to cost you mega bucks to give to others is a bit much.

And has been stated before, in one of the lotto documentaries aired on TV, one winner said that he had given several people a million dollars each - and every one of them, bar none, came back asking for more.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.