Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Software vs Paper-and-Pencil

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 9 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What Do You Rely More On To Pick Your Numbers?

Paper and Pencil System [ 49 ]  [79.03%]
Commercial Lottery Software [ 13 ]  [20.97%]
Total Valid Votes [ 62 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
Member #45970
September 1, 2006
4763 Posts
Posted: April 10, 2008, 2:27 am - IP Logged

As there are quite a few commercially available software packages available to pick you numbers daily, I was just curious whether more people here use software or paper-and-pencil systems (either their own, or someone else's) to pick their daily numbers. Personally, after much trial and error, I find that I get better results with paper-and-pencil systems (which I seem to constantly be modifying).

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: April 10, 2008, 3:55 am - IP Logged

Software MIGHT get you two numbers, but if you think about it: if EVERYONE bought the SAME software, then all of those people will be playing the SAME numbers every time, right ?

Now, if people using the SAME software get DIFFERENT 'predictions', then I question how 'good' this software can be, it would be like calculating the interest on your mortgage on one calculator and getting results, and then calculating IDENTICAL numbers on a DIFFERENT calculator and getting DIFFERENT results...

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: April 10, 2008, 4:04 am - IP Logged

I don't really use other peoples software. I have tried a variety of different software of course, but when it comes down to it, I like using my own methods of picking my numbers.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Scott311's avatar - 311 logo01.jpg
        N.C.
        United States
        Member #59229
        March 9, 2008
        327 Posts
        Posted: April 10, 2008, 6:02 am - IP Logged

Going platinum on lottery post is better than any software you can buy. All the info I need is here, and I won $80 last night on NC pick 3! ;-) Thanks to Pick3Pirate.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
          Charlotte NC
          United States
          Member #17406
          June 18, 2005
          4053 Posts
          Posted: April 10, 2008, 10:03 am - IP Logged

Paper and Pen without a doubt when tracking. 

takeemtothebank

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
            Member #9517
            December 10, 2004
            1272 Posts
            Posted: April 10, 2008, 11:28 am - IP Logged

I use a combination of lottery software and MS Excel for statistics. I check the stats in excel, then feed the numbers into the lottery software and generates the lines to play. Finally i send the lines over the internet to the lottery company.

Glad I don't have to fill out those lottery slips manually any longer.

JustFrozen's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
              OC, CALI
              United States
              Member #59564
              March 19, 2008
              76 Posts
              Posted: April 10, 2008, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

I use a combination of commercial lottery software and my own software. I figure anything repeatedly done on paper can be done easier on a computer, unless it's so easy that it's not worth the effort of coding it. That probably just applies to people like me in particular though (I'm a professional programmer)

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1954 Posts
                Posted: April 10, 2008, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

I use paper and pencil when researching a new strategy, then I code the information into my own computer program. There are strategies that I use that must be performed on computer because of the numbers of tests that must be performed repeatedly on every single possible combination, of which there are millions.

Gonna win.Big Smile

JAP69's avatar - alas
                  South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #6
                  November 4, 2001
                  8790 Posts
                  Posted: April 10, 2008, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

If you are a stats hunter and trapper paper and pencil will take you forever to find all the stats that are in software. Software will update all the stats in a skinny second after you have entered the last draw.

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                    Member #45970
                    September 1, 2006
                    4763 Posts
                    Posted: April 11, 2008, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Software MIGHT get you two numbers, but if you think about it: if EVERYONE bought the SAME software, then all of those people will be playing the SAME numbers every time, right ?

Now, if people using the SAME software get DIFFERENT 'predictions', then I question how 'good' this software can be, it would be like calculating the interest on your mortgage on one calculator and getting results, and then calculating IDENTICAL numbers on a DIFFERENT calculator and getting DIFFERENT results...

Excellent Point!!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19830 Posts
                      Posted: April 11, 2008, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

I rely on software that I wrote myself because I got tried of during the same thing with paper and pencil.  I developed and tested all the routines in my software using paper and pencil before I included them in the software.  Besides, every time I fire up my computer to play the lotteries all the data I have ever accumulated is right at hand for me to use.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

amilby30's avatar - nw logo.jpg
                        Cobb
                        United States
                        Member #26586
                        November 19, 2005
                        9719 Posts
                        Posted: April 11, 2008, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

ill put my paper and pecil up againts any software anyday .that is unless that states lotto sold me the software

I LOVE THIS SPORT !!   BY30PREDICTIONS

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                          San Jose, California
                          United States
                          Member #42003
                          June 26, 2006
                          206 Posts
                          Posted: April 11, 2008, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

many times, I win with numbers that I pick. I never see a red penny from using software pick.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: April 12, 2008, 1:09 am - IP Logged

Even if everyone used the same software they'd only be playing the same numbers if the software has absolutely no ability for the user to set any of the parameters. Now think about this. There are two possible results after playing your numbers. If you lose, it won't matter how many other people played those numbers. If you win while playing the same numbers as everyone else, your share of the prize will be more than you'd have gotten for playing the wrong numbers. 

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                              Dump Water Florida
                              United States
                              Member #380
                              June 5, 2002
                              3104 Posts
                              Posted: April 12, 2008, 1:11 am - IP Logged

I find lottery software is useful for everything I need except prediction.

The software is great for storing the draw history and printing copies
                              again and again, charts all sorts and great for wheeling and filtering.

On the down side I have never found a lottery software program any
                              good at prediction.  And believe me I have a lot of lottery software on
                              my computer. 

Lottery software does not train the brain, only pencil and paper can
                              do that. 

BobP