Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

is it really random?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Editgap.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
Riverside, Ca
United States
Member #21722
September 14, 2005
173 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2008, 5:45 am - IP Logged

Is there really such a thing as being random?  Are lottery games like Mega Millions and Power Ball really random?  What about those systems people use to pick numbers?  Most people would say yes the lottery is totally random, but all you have to do is look at it from a differant perspective and you can pick the winning numbers almost every time.  Oh and i was just wondering....has anyone on lottery post ever won a big jackpot game like MM or PB?

Scott311's avatar - 311 logo01.jpg
    N.C.
    United States
    Member #59229
    March 9, 2008
    327 Posts
    Posted: April 11, 2008, 6:13 am - IP Logged

Its statistics,and luck. And if I rub my cat's belly the day of the drawing I always win half the time,100% of the time

EVERYWHERE
      United States
      Member #58052
      January 28, 2008
      9 Posts
      Posted: April 11, 2008, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

Yeah....the lottery association randomly choose which state and what city will win next! that's how they do it!!!

DC81's avatar - batman39
        MI
        United States
        Member #54830
        August 31, 2007
        985 Posts
        Posted: April 11, 2008, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Wouldn't surprise me and I'm sure they have the ability to see what number combinations weren't picked seeing how quickly they know if there's a winner and where the ticket was sold. Then they can always just doctor the balls so the numbers in whatever unpicked combinations either have a higher chance of being "picked" or a 100% chance. It wouldn't be all that hard to do, especially if the states are in on it. Only problem is that I doubt they're smart enough to actually pull of the scam without word ever getting out and the more people in the know, the harder it would be.

You can't predict random.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
          Harbinger
          D.C./MD.
          United States
          Member #44103
          July 30, 2006
          5583 Posts
          Posted: April 11, 2008, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

Wouldn't surprise me and I'm sure they have the ability to see what number combinations weren't picked seeing how quickly they know if there's a winner and where the ticket was sold. Then they can always just doctor the balls so the numbers in whatever unpicked combinations either have a higher chance of being "picked" or a 100% chance. It wouldn't be all that hard to do, especially if the states are in on it. Only problem is that I doubt they're smart enough to actually pull of the scam without word ever getting out and the more people in the know, the harder it would be.

Have you ever played computerized Keno?  That is exactly how it works! The delay between games is when the computer determines the payouts from what has been wagered and played.  More people playing = more winners and  more losers.

DC81's avatar - batman39
            MI
            United States
            Member #54830
            August 31, 2007
            985 Posts
            Posted: April 12, 2008, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Nope, never played Keno in any form.

You can't predict random.

Litebets27's avatar - power
              Maryland
              United States
              Member #10465
              January 14, 2005
              6065 Posts
              Posted: April 12, 2008, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

remote-controlled balls!!!!Green laugh

Thinking of...

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Morrison, IL
                United States
                Member #4657
                May 13, 2004
                1884 Posts
                Posted: April 17, 2008, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, it would be really dumb of them to risk it by pulling such a scam.  They don't need to rig the draws; the odds are in their favor!

---

LottoL's avatar - techno eye.jpg
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #33719
                  February 24, 2006
                  705 Posts
                  Posted: April 18, 2008, 8:24 am - IP Logged

Is there really such a thing as being random?  Are lottery games like Mega Millions and Power Ball really random?  What about those systems people use to pick numbers?  Most people would say yes the lottery is totally random, but all you have to do is look at it from a differant perspective and you can pick the winning numbers almost every time.  Oh and i was just wondering....has anyone on lottery post ever won a big jackpot game like MM or PB?

I guess it all depends on what your definition of random is.

In Megaball, most of the time, all numbers (excluding the megaball)
                  recycle (get picked) within 35 draws.  Is this random?  Not from my
                  point of view!  Seems to me if it was truely random, there would be
                  a set of numbers that never get picked . . . . but this is not the case.

IMHO, I think the numbers are known before the drawing occurs!

LottoL

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                    Member #28409
                    December 15, 2005
                    1198 Posts
                    Posted: April 18, 2008, 8:30 am - IP Logged

what is this different perspective you speak of?  And where can I get it? LOL  If you can pick the winning numbers almost every time, from a different perspective, then please, do share!

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

United States
                      Member #24439
                      October 22, 2005
                      638 Posts
                      Posted: April 19, 2008, 12:09 am - IP Logged

Where did you get that?

I think the numbers are random. They balls are being selected randomly. We might only be getting a glimpse of a set in a series but the drawing video proves they are random.

On the other hand, I think like any good business, they have checks in place to prevent paying out more than they have to. If somebody buys multiple sets of the same numbers, they would know ahead of time to stay away from those numbers.