Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 9:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Promotion

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Badger.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: April 13, 2008, 2:44 am - IP Logged

This is in regards to the Powerball X's 10 promotion.

From the Missouri Lottery website:

How to 10X the WinningsFor an extra $1 per play, Powerball's Power Play feature normallyoffers the chance to multiply prizes from $3 to $200,000 by two, three,four or five times their normal value. After each Wednesday andSaturday Powerball drawing, a wheel is spun to select that draw's PowerPlay number. The wheel has 16 spaces that are labeled as follows: 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5 and 5.

During the promotion, one of the "5s" will be removed from the PowerPlay wheel and replaced with the number "10." This allows players tomultiply the prize 10 times its normal value during the promotion(instead of the normal five), whenever the "10" is selected as thePower Play number. With the Powerball secondary prize of $200,000,players will be able to multiply their prizes up to $2 million CASH!With the third-level prize of $10,000, players could multiply thatprize to $100,000.

(OK so far, now...):

It's GuaranteedIt is guaranteed that the "10" will come up at least once. If itdoesn't happen during the promotion dates (March 30 - April 30), thepromotion will continue until the "10 is drawn. Prizes will bemultiplied by 10 at least once during the promotion.
OK, excuse me, but how can you guarantee that one slot of sixteen is going to hit? I realize they're doing it on a "spin til you win" basis, but still, if you can guarantee something hitting, ahem.....

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
    Member #91
    January 19, 2002
    11932 Posts
    Posted: April 13, 2008, 10:04 am - IP Logged

I think they are just guaranteeing that the 10x will come up atleast once, before they remove it from the wheel,,,guaranteeing at least one hit  (untill it is removed) and as many as 8-9 times in a 31 day promotion.

My guess is that the longer it stays out the more frenzy in playing the multiplier,,,you know how people get when a number is out for a long time,,,,they lock on until it comes out.

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3474 Posts
      Posted: April 15, 2008, 12:42 am - IP Logged

They can guarantee it because they can just keep it there forever. Of course it's theoretically possible that it wouldn't come up once in the next 5 years, but realistically they can be pretty sure it will come up in a reasonable period of time. Most likely it won't come up during the scheduled promotion period, but it won't cost them a dime to keep it for a year if it goes that long without coming up. In fact, I expect they'd love to see that happen.  They can continue promoting it, and presumably sell more powerplay tickets, while the 10x that never comes up means there's one less 5x slot than usual. For as long as they can keep the 10x slot without having it hit, their average payout should be lower.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: April 15, 2008, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

Well if the point is to sell more tickets a large jackpot would be better than powerplay for that. While it would have been nice to have removed a 2 spot I really doubt that if it has to come up for the promotion to end that it will end any time soon. My guess is that it will end in June or July after the 10 is finally drawn.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1303
          March 27, 2003
          1508 Posts
          Posted: April 16, 2008, 6:29 am - IP Logged

Well if the point is to sell more tickets a large jackpot would be better than powerplay for that. While it would have been nice to have removed a 2 spot I really doubt that if it has to come up for the promotion to end that it will end any time soon. My guess is that it will end in June or July after the 10 is finally drawn.

I figure if the 10 doesn't come up and its the last draw of the promotion, they'll just not spin the wheel and announce that the multiplier is ten for that draw. 

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.