Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Outlook Express Help!!

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Littleoldlady.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
Clarksville
United States
Member #487
July 15, 2002
17638 Posts
Posted: April 26, 2008, 10:06 am - IP Logged

I have been trying unsuccessfully for over 2 weeks to get my email off of bellsouth's servers.  I have talked their "technicians", etc but so far ..nothing..I have Outlook Express 6.  when I try to get my email this message occurs:

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server.
Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net',
Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

I have read somewhere that Outlook express can't be upgraded so what do I do? There is nothing wrong with my email settings.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1303
    March 27, 2003
    1508 Posts
    Posted: April 26, 2008, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I have been trying unsuccessfully for over 2 weeks to get my email off of bellsouth's servers.  I have talked their "technicians", etc but so far ..nothing..I have Outlook Express 6.  when I try to get my email this message occurs:

I have read somewhere that Outlook express can't be upgraded so what do I do? There is nothing wrong with my email settings.

THis is probably not much help, but its all I can handle (maybe Todd would know more, since he's a computer guru) -- But I also can get that message sometimes.  I just close down OE and wait awhile (go on the net or soemthing) then go back and try again.

It seems to me (my impression) that sometimes, maybe often, when I get that message its because my connection to the Internet is not such a good one. My ISP is basicaly lousy quality with their software and whatnot, but they are cheap, cheap, cheap per month, and that's their only saving grace.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23349 Posts
      Posted: April 26, 2008, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

Whenever you get an error message like that, simply Google the error code. 

In this case, Google the keyword, "0x800CCC19".

When I did that, I came up with many articles like this one:

http://modemhelp.net/oeerrors/oe_error_0x800ccc19.shtml

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
        Member #3222
        January 4, 2004
        80 Posts
        Posted: April 26, 2008, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

I've had that problem too and the solution was to search for and rename the pop3uidl file. Actually I tend to occasionally delete all the files in the Outlook Express folder then reopen Outlook Express and download fresh ones. The path to that folder is:

C:\Documents and Settings\your account name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Don't do that if you have messages in the local folders that you want to save because you'll lose them. The best thing to do is make a backup copy of the Inbox or whatever folder where the messages are stored in case you ever want to retrieve them.

Another possibility with that error could be from an anti-virus program, particularly Norton. Try temporarily disabling that and see if it keeps happening.

Sunny California
          United States
          Member #40295
          May 31, 2006
          7713 Posts
          Posted: April 26, 2008, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Hello,

I have had lots of trouble with Outlook Express also. This may help you--

Open Outlook Express

Click "Tools" then "Accounts" then "Properties".

Click the "Servers" tab at top and make sure you UNCHECK the "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" box.

I don't know how many times I've had to do this to make my email work again even after running an email check.

Hope this helps.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
            Clarksville
            United States
            Member #487
            July 15, 2002
            17638 Posts
            Posted: May 11, 2008, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Thanks folks..I will have to try all of these..I have good ole Bellsouth DSL and I was thinking it was because I also run their firewall and virus protection..I got it to work for about 1 week and now it has quit again..so I'll be trying everything..

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.