Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Was the "mistake" the winner?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 9 years ago by DC81.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
CA
United States
Member #57222
December 23, 2007
587 Posts
Posted: May 6, 2008, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

Hey folks, just thought I'd share this  mistake story that happend today. 

I went to a 7 eleven  to buy  my tickets for tommorow night.  When the clerk told me the price  it was $5 more than usual.  I was shocked, then realized that I had kept the "advanced play" I marked from last week. 

When I told her to delete it,  that I only wanted one 5 line ticket for tommorow, the clerk canceled it but gave me a $5 quick pick, instead of my original numbers. (not sure why)

And there's my dilema.  Should I buy the "mistake?"  I believe in fate and would normally have-but  I didnt, I simply marked a new clean 5 line ticket and told her to cancel the quick pick.  I didnt have $10 to play both.  But I made sure not to look at any of the QP lines long enough to remember, so I wouldn't worry about did i miss getting a jackpot.

I decided  a while ago, to play the same set of lines for how ever many years that it takes. I pray I didnt make a mistake.  The good news, I won't know the difference since I don't remember what the other numbers were anyway.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: May 6, 2008, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

what game was this?

I didn't know you could cancel mistakes on jackpot games.  We cannot in TN.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: May 6, 2008, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

In Ohio tickets for the local games can be canceled but not the multi-state MegaMillions game.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
        Kunming
        China
        Member #57910
        January 23, 2008
        3626 Posts
        Posted: May 6, 2008, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

In Ohio tickets for the local games can be canceled but not the multi-state MegaMillions game.

If you didn't have the money then of course you couldn't have bought it unless you have a relationship with the store clerk (you go there everyday and they know you). Here's my story, it happen I think over 15 years ago in New York. I use to go to the same store to buy my lottery ticket. I use to hang around and chat with the clerk all the time. Anyway, this guy comes in and says he wants a QP for saturday's draw. The clerk misheard him and thought he said $5.00 QP. Needless to say the man was "really pissed off" so I told the clerk " I'll take the ticket" and as the man left he said "I hope that isn't a winner I would be so angry at myself" something to that effect. The next day, guess what? It had 5 numbers and I won $1,400.00. Imagine how crazy I went. I know it wasn't the jackpot but for the first time I got 5 numbers, one away from the jackpot. I think the jackpot at that time was $10 Million. Anyway since then I don't get angry if the clerk makes a mistake and I try to buy the "mistake ticket" (of course if I have the money or I know the clerk). I think you did the best in that situation. GOOD LUCK JUST THE SAME!

Play to win!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: May 7, 2008, 3:12 am - IP Logged

what game was this?

We can't cancel tickets here either. If the clerk makes a mistake, we either have to buy it or they have to try to sell it to someone else.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Pittsburgh, PA
            United States
            Member #58600
            February 21, 2008
            43 Posts
            Posted: May 7, 2008, 4:38 am - IP Logged

Its not fate.  Just some uneducated minimum wage worker making a mistake.  Mistakes win of course, but its very very rare for a mistake to win a huge jackpot.  Show me a mistake ticket that won more than $10m. Show me 2 examples and I'll play a $1 powerball ticket for anyone tomorrow (50/50 of course if it wins).

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: May 7, 2008, 7:45 am - IP Logged

Its not fate.  Just some uneducated minimum wage worker making a mistake.  Mistakes win of course, but its very very rare for a mistake to win a huge jackpot.  Show me a mistake ticket that won more than $10m. Show me 2 examples and I'll play a $1 powerball ticket for anyone tomorrow (50/50 of course if it wins).

Not all clerks who sell lotto tickets are uneducated or work for minimum wage.

I have a Master's Degree in Education and I was making $12 part time selling tickets.

However there were many of times I printed the wrong ticket and I bought the mistake or the customer bought it anyway.

The mistake was not due to being uneducated or working minimum wage, it was due to being human.

One day you might understand this.  Then you too will realize you are human like the rest of us.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
                Kunming
                China
                Member #57910
                January 23, 2008
                3626 Posts
                Posted: May 7, 2008, 7:54 am - IP Logged

I have a Master's Degree in Education and I was making $12 part time selling tickets.

However there were many of times I printed the wrong ticket and I bought the mistake or the customer bought it anyway.

The mistake was not due to being uneducated or working minimum wage, it was due to being human.

One day you might understand this.  Then you too will realize you are human like the rest of us.

I Agree!I wanted to say something like that when I read that post. I'm glad you said it. It's easy to make mistakes when what you do almost all day is punch in numbers and as you said it's part of being human. Some "mistakes" can be a blessing and can be the workings of something bigger than the two of us (a higher power maybe?).

Play to win!

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: May 7, 2008, 9:58 am - IP Logged

They must have sent all the idiots down here to southwest florida.

The ones I come across are not trained to use the lottery machine well enough. Nor do they care to learn.

I was so happy years ago when a friend told me about the 800 number to call for the results. Prior to that, it was like pulling teeth trying to find just one clerk who knew how to get the results on the screen, much less print them out.

I wish I had a dollar for every clerk who tried to play it off instead of admitting they didn't know how to do a particular function on the terminal. I'd rather they tell me they didn't know than try to BS me. There were a few instances where the clerks were telling me they couldn't get the reuslts for the p-3 until 10 or 11 pm, and some said that it was too late and the machine is off. 20 minutes after the 7:55 drawing?

Alrighty then....

CA
                    United States
                    Member #57222
                    December 23, 2007
                    587 Posts
                    Posted: May 7, 2008, 10:06 am - IP Logged

what game was this?

Sorry  Tntea,

Its our Super Lotto Plus.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #48725
                      January 7, 2007
                      1953 Posts
                      Posted: May 7, 2008, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Hey folks, just thought I'd share this  mistake story that happend today. 

I went to a 7 eleven  to buy  my tickets for tommorow night.  When the clerk told me the price  it was $5 more than usual.  I was shocked, then realized that I had kept the "advanced play" I marked from last week. 

When I told her to delete it,  that I only wanted one 5 line ticket for tommorow, the clerk canceled it but gave me a $5 quick pick, instead of my original numbers. (not sure why)

And there's my dilema.  Should I buy the "mistake?"  I believe in fate and would normally have-but  I didnt, I simply marked a new clean 5 line ticket and told her to cancel the quick pick.  I didnt have $10 to play both.  But I made sure not to look at any of the QP lines long enough to remember, so I wouldn't worry about did i miss getting a jackpot.

I decided  a while ago, to play the same set of lines for how ever many years that it takes. I pray I didnt make a mistake.  The good news, I won't know the difference since I don't remember what the other numbers were anyway.

You had the advanced play filled in, that's why she gave you a $5 QP. If you wanted the same numbers, then you would have to fill out another playslip without the advanced play filled in.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #48725
                        January 7, 2007
                        1953 Posts
                        Posted: May 7, 2008, 10:24 am - IP Logged

That's right. Blame the clerk when the OP left the advanced play filled in.

Gonna win.Big Smile

CA
                          United States
                          Member #57222
                          December 23, 2007
                          587 Posts
                          Posted: May 7, 2008, 10:50 am - IP Logged

You had the advanced play filled in, that's why she gave you a $5 QP. If you wanted the same numbers, then you would have to fill out another playslip without the advanced play filled in.

That's what I ended up doing.  But I thought she could just cancel the ticket and do it as a single  5 liner from the computer.  I was told by a clerk they they can change even one number if need be, straight from the computer so i figured she could remove the duplicate lines. But I still don't get why she printed a QP, which had nothing to do with an advanced play.  My numbers were still on the ticket. There was never a QP nor did I vebally mention a QP at any point.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                            Member #47420
                            November 4, 2006
                            3930 Posts
                            Posted: May 7, 2008, 10:59 am - IP Logged

Simple..Buy the mistake ticket............

JordanT1021's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                              North Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #53121
                              June 24, 2007
                              6498 Posts
                              Posted: May 7, 2008, 11:01 am - IP Logged

powerball tickets can't be cancelled here in north carolina either. sometimes if i am at a gas station and a powerball ticket was bought or the customer returned it, i usually buy it if the ticket is less than 2 dollars. i got suckered into buying a 10 dollar ticket one time and got nothing.