Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

After winning jackpot where to find legal?

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 9 years ago by alex1969.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
bronx
United States
Member #61287
May 17, 2008
4 Posts
Posted: May 17, 2008, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

Hey everyone.  I'm new to this place (found it a few weeks ago) and glad I'm here.  I really think (as well as some others I'm sure) that I will hit the jackpot one day - and hopefully soon.  Anyway, I've been really thinking about what I would do with a nice sum of money.  I even selected a great financial institution to manage my wealth.  I've read about starting a trust, and have been researching in detail about starting a family foundation and forms of philanthropy. 

Now the main thing that's been on my mind recently is finding and teaming up with a great lawyer.  Although I have a subscription for a few lottery games, I've been thinking could I have a lawyer claim my ticket (although I have a subscription and the ticket would automatically be in my name).  Also, where does one find a great lawyer?  I'm talking about a lawyer that could walk you through business investments and such (which I'm interested in doing). What kind of lawyer should I be looking for?  Should I consult a lawyer BEFORE going to a financial institution and discussing an estate plan? 

I know the winnings are deposited into an account so that's why I spent a lot of time on researching a great financial institution first and foremost. 

I'm gonna continue to google some suggestions but I definitely thought this place here would have some great input.  Thanks everyone!

Pittsburgh, PA
    United States
    Member #58600
    February 21, 2008
    43 Posts
    Posted: May 17, 2008, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

Why would you need a lawyer to claim the actual ticket?  Why are people so scared like they won't get paid if they don't get a lawyer?  If you are that clueless how to invest and provide your family a future god forbid if you die, then get a financial advisor.  If you get one, just realize they cost big money if you want a good one.  PM me if you win, I'll guide you through the process FOR FREE and set you up for life.

bronx
      United States
      Member #61287
      May 17, 2008
      4 Posts
      Posted: May 17, 2008, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

Lol.  I forgot to add that I want to remain anonymous if possible.  I've read about setting up a blind trust and other ways to make sure your name doesn't end up all over the place.  But since I have a subscription, I don't know if that is possible.  I know I can forego a press conference, but knowing some of my nosey relatives, one could easily google or look up to see if you came into any money.

I have a "cover story" if anyone was to question where I got money from, lol. 

Oh yeah, I got some great insight from another thread just a few minutes ago.  Sandra Dee pointed me into a great direction.

United States
        Member #59167
        March 8, 2008
        174 Posts
        Posted: May 17, 2008, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Lol.  I forgot to add that I want to remain anonymous if possible.  I've read about setting up a blind trust and other ways to make sure your name doesn't end up all over the place.  But since I have a subscription, I don't know if that is possible.  I know I can forego a press conference, but knowing some of my nosey relatives, one could easily google or look up to see if you came into any money.

I have a "cover story" if anyone was to question where I got money from, lol. 

Oh yeah, I got some great insight from another thread just a few minutes ago.  Sandra Dee pointed me into a great direction.

I believe the State of New York requires publication of a Lottery winners name.  That being the case, you cannot hide.  As I have often said, it is not the job of the Lottery to protect you from harm or publication.  Their job is to make as much money as they can from the people of that state.

I also belive, there is no requirement for a press conference. Those who attend a press conference do so because their ego forces them into the limelight.  I have seen instances where people have requested that their picture not be published.  It wasn't. 

So the only problem would be some lottery fanatic finding your name on a lottery site and blabbing it. 

Bottom line: who cares. Tell the greedy to go away. No problem.  If you can't do that, you won't keep you money longer then a week.

bronx
          United States
          Member #61287
          May 17, 2008
          4 Posts
          Posted: May 17, 2008, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

Thanks MeFirst.  I got it and you're right.