Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Confidential tax...

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 9 years ago by benmas.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #61296
May 17, 2008
187 Posts
Posted: May 17, 2008, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

If u ever actually won a huge jackpot, I think that the lottery should give winners an option of wether or not to remain annonymous. They should impose a 1 million dollar confidentiality option that states that if u win, the media does not disclose personal information about the winner to the general public. This way both sides would win- the state would generate more revenues, and the player would have his/her privacy from potential envious people. What do u think? Of course, it would be optional for the winner...

San Diego, CA
    United States
    Member #58386
    February 12, 2008
    287 Posts
    Posted: May 17, 2008, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

If u ever actually won a huge jackpot, I think that the lottery should give winners an option of wether or not to remain annonymous. They should impose a 1 million dollar confidentiality option that states that if u win, the media does not disclose personal information about the winner to the general public. This way both sides would win- the state would generate more revenues, and the player would have his/her privacy from potential envious people. What do u think? Of course, it would be optional for the winner...

California is a state that allows jackpot winners to remain anonymous.   I am glad I live in this progressive state. 

I see the state's point of view that they want to prove prize money has been paid out.  But the privacy of lottery winners should be paramount.  It is no one's business how much money someone has.  Making someone's name public who has a lot of money has the potential to cause problems for that person.

United States
      Member #61296
      May 17, 2008
      187 Posts
      Posted: May 17, 2008, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

jw-

I completely agree. What good is winning $50-$60 million or whatever huge amount if I ended up getting robbed at gunpoint down the road? I think the state's should seriously consider something like this.

Pittsburgh, PA
        United States
        Member #58600
        February 21, 2008
        43 Posts
        Posted: May 18, 2008, 1:43 am - IP Logged

LOLOLOL yeah because the states taking over 60% from all wagers isn't enough. 

There's a reason some states don't allow you to remain anonymous.  It's for publicity and also adds credibility to the lottery. 

My take is, you shouldn't be allowed to remain anonymous.  PERIOD. 

Pittsburgh, PA
          United States
          Member #58600
          February 21, 2008
          43 Posts
          Posted: May 18, 2008, 1:47 am - IP Logged

jw-

I completely agree. What good is winning $50-$60 million or whatever huge amount if I ended up getting robbed at gunpoint down the road? I think the state's should seriously consider something like this.

Besides Jack Whitaker, name another lottery winner that has been robbed at gunpoint? And even Jack wasn't robbed at gunpoint IIRC.  He was just stupid enough to go to a strip club with six figures in cash and decided to get sloppy and left the money in his truck LOL.   My god, you people think of the stupidest crap ever.  You have a greater chance of dying in a car accident tomorrow than winning the lottery then getting robbed at gunpoint. 

DC81's avatar - batman39
            MI
            United States
            Member #54830
            August 31, 2007
            985 Posts
            Posted: May 18, 2008, 2:19 am - IP Logged

Hmmm, well another example I guess could be Jeffrey Dampier Jr. Who was kidnapped and murdered by his sister in-law who wanted money. Hopefully the link below makes it past the URL filter.

cbs2chicago.com/topstories/Victoria.Jackson.Jeffrey.2.319832.html

There's other stories too and sure it's not extremely common, but it's not unheard of. Depends on the kind of people who know, I wouldn't put it past some of my own relatives (I have no in-laws so I can't go there) potentially plotting something similar. Not exactly the same situation as ol'Jack but still.

I think the real naive thing here is actually expecting the media not to reveal someone's name if they know it. They care even less than the state of what the potential repercussions could be and you or your family's well being. The only way you have a chance of that working is if the lottery commision doesn't release it or trying to claim it as a trust. Even then your ID is still not safe if someone is nosy enough to look up the names on the trust since it's public record. IMO the best thing to probably do would be to move and just not throw the money around if you desire to avoid attention, the less people know the better. Jack's problem is that he was a "good ol'boy" and drew a lot of attention to himself and became loose with the money along with the stupidity of leaving huge sums of money in vehicles. Of course then he supposedly went broke and then earlier this year won $10,000, almost winning another Powerball Jackpot.

You can't predict random.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
              Member #9517
              December 10, 2004
              1272 Posts
              Posted: May 18, 2008, 4:34 am - IP Logged

The smartest thing besides getting a financial advisor might be to hire a few body guards to follow you around for a couple of years.

benmas's avatar - waveform
                Rhode Island
                United States
                Member #56010
                October 28, 2007
                434 Posts
                Posted: May 18, 2008, 4:53 am - IP Logged

Your idea will never be popular because you are trying to hit people with another unnecessary tax...

Besides there will always be people that will know you have money...and the word will spread after that...you don't live on this earth isolated...people will see that you drive nice car, live in a nice house, wear nice clothes etc etc...relatives and friends will know eventually that you got big money because it will show on your daily activities...you cannot hide it completely because what you gonna do? leave all your relatives and friends so they dont find out? impossible...they'll figure it out...even strangers that have never seen you before will easily notice you have money...better to get it out of the way and say it that you won and take other precautions like bodyguards and advisers..$1 million is a lot of money to let it go to taxes on top of the federal 25% withholdings

The state gets their share by collecting the current taxes...also the lottery wants people to see the winners because if they hide it, the other players will think the game is not fair because they don't know who is winning...The media hoopla only lasts for a week or so...get it out of the way, take care of the other important things and its fine...there will be other jackpots people will collect so your news will become old after few months