Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 2:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Notice the lack of SPAM this morning?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Clairvoyance.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
spy153's avatar - maren

United States
Member #28409
December 15, 2005
1198 Posts
Posted: May 21, 2008, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

Well, you must be very good because I have no idea what spammer you guys are even talking about.

Glad you're  on it though!  That's why we love you, Todd!Cheers

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
    Member #26882
    November 23, 2005
    1404 Posts
    Posted: May 22, 2008, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

You are defintely a notch above everybody else. You get your hands dirty and get down to business and that's why your site is such a success and will continue to be. Maybe you should have it in different languages. Anyway, it's refreshing to not see those "spammers" post. Thanks for being so on top of the situation(s).

PartyCheers

Just go to www.babelfish.com and type in lottery posts URL and click translate it will translate any web page for you in any language you want.

Todd, you can just add babelfish to your site so people can do this right on your site, and its free!

Just go here: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/free_trans_service for the code

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23275 Posts
      Posted: May 22, 2008, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

Just go to www.babelfish.com and type in lottery posts URL and click translate it will translate any web page for you in any language you want.

Todd, you can just add babelfish to your site so people can do this right on your site, and its free!

Just go here: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/free_trans_service for the code

Services like Babel Fish (which was created by Alta Vista -- remember that search engine?) or Google's translation service are great choices for individuals to use to quickly translate a page or any other text between various languages.

The main drawback is that they are all translated by a computer, which many times does not correctly translate the correct context of a word or sentence.  I have seen cases where the translated phrase is actually very insulting in the other language.

If an individual is using the service to translate something themselves, they might be amused or maybe a little understanding if something translates wrong.  But if a web site is publishing something that is wrong or insulting, that can actually ruin a web site's reputation.

So yes, I'd also recommend using Babel Fish or Google to translate pages for individuals.  I'm glad you mentioned it, because it is indeed a great option for people to use.  But for an official language version of the site, I would use other methods that are human-translated.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
        Member #4877
        May 30, 2004
        5124 Posts
        Posted: May 22, 2008, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

Well, you must be very good because I have no idea what spammer you guys are even talking about.

Glad you're  on it though!  That's why we love you, Todd!Cheers

spy153      I Agree!

witha name "LIKE" Todd >>>>>>>>>>>

U gotta be >>>>>>>>>  "G@@D" !

LOL

PSYKOMO

United States
          Member #26882
          November 23, 2005
          1404 Posts
          Posted: May 22, 2008, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

Services like Babel Fish (which was created by Alta Vista -- remember that search engine?) or Google's translation service are great choices for individuals to use to quickly translate a page or any other text between various languages.

The main drawback is that they are all translated by a computer, which many times does not correctly translate the correct context of a word or sentence.  I have seen cases where the translated phrase is actually very insulting in the other language.

If an individual is using the service to translate something themselves, they might be amused or maybe a little understanding if something translates wrong.  But if a web site is publishing something that is wrong or insulting, that can actually ruin a web site's reputation.

So yes, I'd also recommend using Babel Fish or Google to translate pages for individuals.  I'm glad you mentioned it, because it is indeed a great option for people to use.  But for an official language version of the site, I would use other methods that are human-translated.

Todd, I was not aware that there were translation mistakes. You are right that could be damaging to a web site. I also remember Alta Vista and I used to use that engine all the time.

I put LP’s URL in the translator just for fun and translated from English to Japanese. It was very amusing to see LP in a different language!

Thanks Todd

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23275 Posts
            Posted: May 22, 2008, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Another issue you may have noticed when you did the translation is that graphic images that contain words -- like the blue menu bar and the Lottery Results Gadget ad on the left -- do not get translated because the words are really just a picture.  So when creating a multi-language site, one of the things you try to do is to eliminate graphics that have words in them.  It is a tricky business.

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23275 Posts
              Posted: May 22, 2008, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

Here's what the Home page looks like in Japanese (translated by Google):

Home page in Japanese

United States
                Member #26882
                November 23, 2005
                1404 Posts
                Posted: May 22, 2008, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Another issue you may have noticed when you did the translation is that graphic images that contain words -- like the blue menu bar and the Lottery Results Gadget ad on the left -- do not get translated because the words are really just a picture.  So when creating a multi-language site, one of the things you try to do is to eliminate graphics that have words in them.  It is a tricky business.

Yes I did notice that and also the screen names do not get translated either. Why is that? Are they like a picture as well?

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23275 Posts
                  Posted: May 22, 2008, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

No, it's because there is no translation.  What is the Japanese word for paurths?  It's "paurths".

United States
                    Member #26882
                    November 23, 2005
                    1404 Posts
                    Posted: May 22, 2008, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

No, it's because there is no translation.  What is the Japanese word for paurths?  It's "paurths".

Yes right, I understand now its not a real word. Sorry about all the questions, I just found it intersting. I have a web site too, its not lottery based though. I highly doubt I will be doing any type of language translations on it soon! LOL