Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Volunteer Work: Powerball winners and a free lotto..how i feel.

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 9 years ago by MeFirstYouLast.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: May 24, 2008, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

Don't you think think that people that do Volunteer work should be the ones winning powerball...Which brought me to the point...I think they should have a free lotto, just like freelotto.com but for people that do volunteer work...Not only for people that do volunteer work but for people in the military....This people are the people that sacrifice themselves for us....And if there is a free lotto for people that do volunteer work don't you think it will encourage volunteer work, specially if it pays a large chunk of millions of dollars in every state...I am talking a free lotto exclusively for people that do volunteer work and for people in the military...

Don't you think is a great idea...

This post really means a lot to mean so i will really appreciate and like your input on it...Thanks...

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: May 24, 2008, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Military people who enlist for a job are not volunteering.

Those who are drafedt... are not volunteering.

I hate it that their lives are endangered as they are.   I have relatives in Iraq and other countries who chose to make the military their career.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: May 24, 2008, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

I don't think we need a lottery specifically for people who volunteer and I don't see it happening in the future. People who volunteer their time to causes, do it because they enjoy helping others, not for a chance to win the lottery.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

DC81's avatar - batman39
        MI
        United States
        Member #54830
        August 31, 2007
        985 Posts
        Posted: May 24, 2008, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

Just because someone volunteers for something doesn't mean they're a good person. Everyone has the same odds of winning as it is, there's no magic to it, no divine influence, no voice speaking directly to you saying what numbers to pick.

You can't predict random.

Honduras
          Member #20982
          August 29, 2005
          4715 Posts
          Posted: May 24, 2008, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

This is another reason WHY I NEED TO BE RICH...I WOULD CHANGE THIS DAMN WORLD...

I feel soldiers don't get paid enough and the least we can do is create a free lottery for them...

a soldier EVERY SOLDIER JOINING THE MILITARY SHOULD EARN STARTING 52,000 A YEAR...AND NONE OF THEM MAKE THAT...AND I SAY THIS BECAUSE IS THE NEW SOLDIERS THAT JOIN THAT ARE SENT ON THE INFANTRY...They are the first line of defense in any war...

This is an awesome idea...just that nobody will listen to me...

There is freelotto.com, city lotto and another free lotto that i can't remember the name...But my thing is, this free lottos give money (alledgedly) to winners and those winners are chosen randomly but i don't understand what purpose they serve to the comunity, the winners don't do any help to the community to win such a prize and my thing is if someone who does not do any work to the community can have a chance to win million why not more so someone who ACTUALLY does help the community and someone who gives his life for the rest of us...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: May 24, 2008, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

"I feel soldiers don't get paid enough and the least we can do is create a free lottery for them..."

You can always buy some extra tickets and give them freely to people in the military, or you could sign over your winnings to them.  My self, I was drafted into the military when I was young and send to Viet Nam so I've already served.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10344 Posts
              Posted: May 24, 2008, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

Pumpi

What RJOh didn't tell you was that we went to Viet Nam for $72 a month.

Of course, that was then, but still.

Your idea is nice, but that's just not the way lotteries work (or any other form of gambling).

The losers pay the winners and the house takes the biggest cut, keeps the most for itself.

The states look at the lotteries as a revenue source, they're not going to run them as an expense.

Pumpi, most people who go into social work realize it doesn't pay much, and volunteers are volunteers, going in realizing it's not a for-pay situation.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                CA
                United States
                Member #57222
                December 23, 2007
                587 Posts
                Posted: May 24, 2008, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

I agree TSC,

The whole point of volunteering  is to do for others without the "reward" of getting something out of it.  If people start volunteering for a chance at a lottery,  how well will folks do their volunteer jobs as the disapointment of not winning the lottery climbs?

Let see... You volunteer for the chance of getting something out of it.
                You began to see that you are not getting anything
                So now, you get the feeling that you are "wasting" you time by volunteering.

Naw, not a good thing. IMO

United States
                  Member #59167
                  March 8, 2008
                  174 Posts
                  Posted: May 24, 2008, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

Military people who enlist for a job are not volunteering.

Those who are drafedt... are not volunteering.

I hate it that their lives are endangered as they are.   I have relatives in Iraq and other countries who chose to make the military their career.

You are aware that we have not had a draft since the sixties aren't you? 

It is another reason why some Americans have lost respect for this country.  They do not have an opportunity see how others live.  The starvation is not a movie shot, or commercial for money, it is real. When chiildren die in front of you, from starvation, instead of is the propoganda movie, then you realize exactly what America provides.

United States
                    Member #59167
                    March 8, 2008
                    174 Posts
                    Posted: May 24, 2008, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

I feel soldiers don't get paid enough and the least we can do is create a free lottery for them...

Any one who volunteered for the military and expected to get rich off the semi-monthly paycheck were not seeing the hand in front of their face.  If you joined the military, and used your head, you could have gotten a free education that would have cost you a small fortune in the civilian world.  You got to go to school for 16 - 30 weeks, get paid to be in school (instead of paying to be in school) and receiving all the food you can eat, along with a place to sleep in. Plus you get thiry days a year paid vacation, along with multiple three day week-end, and all Government holidays off - with pay.

I know a person who stayed for 25 years.  He spent an unkown time in training.  He spent two years in nursing school.  He spent another year working side-by-side with a renkowned surgen in Houston  His car was paid for, along with the gas, and all of his living expenses; meals and first class hotel.  He did that several times.  He used he brains to get into positions where he got these benefits, plus increased in rank - increases in rank = higher pay.  He has now retired, makes a great paycheck working in the same field the military trained hom and gave him experience in.  He and his wife live a comfortable life in San Antionio, with the Government sending he a huge paycheck every month until he dies.  If he wants it, he has free medical for life.

He had a rough life in Iraq, twice, but was smarter then the average complainer, and laughes at all the whiners!

Granted, if you gave him your lottery winnings, he would take it.  As I said, he is intelligent!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                      Member #5344
                      June 30, 2004
                      23641 Posts
                      Posted: May 25, 2008, 12:06 am - IP Logged

You are aware that we have not had a draft since the sixties aren't you? 

It is another reason why some Americans have lost respect for this country.  They do not have an opportunity see how others live.  The starvation is not a movie shot, or commercial for money, it is real. When chiildren die in front of you, from starvation, instead of is the propoganda movie, then you realize exactly what America provides.

I am very much aware there has not been any drafts.   Point being if a person enlist it is his choice of career, no one is forced at this time.

My brother keeps on enlisting because the jobs in the states stink compare to what he makes in the army.  As you mentioned, everything he needs is provided.  He has banked his money and lived off the army.   Why not?

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                        Dump Water Florida
                        United States
                        Member #380
                        June 5, 2002
                        3102 Posts
                        Posted: May 25, 2008, 12:25 am - IP Logged

They need a guaranteed job when they get out, not a lottery. I suggest
                        any soldiers that want a job be guaranteed a position teaching civics and government in our schools, students must pass this class to graduate.

BobP

Honduras
                          Member #20982
                          August 29, 2005
                          4715 Posts
                          Posted: May 25, 2008, 12:25 am - IP Logged

i was talking more of a free lotto for the people that do volunteer work, not a regular lottery where you have to pay...

i was also thinking of a free lotto where depending on the amount of community work that you do, it converts into tickets for the free lotto...

I was thinking, like for every 10 minutes that a person does volunteering job for the day, he or she receives 5 tickets and the free lotto is played every week..I am just giving an idea where someone can elaborate and take it a step further...

Honduras
                            Member #20982
                            August 29, 2005
                            4715 Posts
                            Posted: May 25, 2008, 12:51 am - IP Logged

a good example is Powerball...Such a game has astronomical odds and yet millions of people sweat and rally at gas stations just for something that will select 1 winner...

another example is Lotterypost.com...The 50,000 memmbers of LP they are all rallying and coming up with theories to win Powerball...

The key for the free lotto for people that volunteer is the jackpot amount...You have to set the right amount and you have to set several of them...Each on in each state...

So many of you say that if you could bet 5,000 for each drawing you will have won POWERBALL already...

Now don't you think that people in the outside are going to put in 5,000 tickets worth of volunteer time to win millions of dollars...

i don't think is fair for someone to put in volunteer work and work their butts off, to later have his/her wife/husband separate from them, or 3 years down the line lose her job because of company job cuts..Stuff that happens regularly that i don't think is fair...Yet someone that is a thug or who doesn't care about humanity only about himself get a raise, or someone that is wealthy already and inherited millions from his parent, make 5 million more each year additional because he has and advantage to start a HUGE bussiness, or had the best help to make the ELITE investment option...So is life fair... And we need volunteer work...During Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana didn't we need volunteer work? don't we need people to donate their blood? Not just by volunteering but by donating people get to play this free lottery and by doing so they can earn point when playing the lottery....Like different kinds of volunteering donation gives you points some points with higher ranks than others and they all are going to help you win this big free lotto....Which to me should be a lotto bigger than Powerball and the U.S.A should be cluttered/peppered with such free lotto exclusively for people that do volunteer work and others for people that are enlist in the Army or Marines...Not for the navy or airforce...

i was also thinking that if people want to skip the weekly drawing and save their tickets and use them to play the bi-weekly drawing or the 3rd weekly drawing is fine with them too....

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19816 Posts
                              Posted: May 25, 2008, 1:28 am - IP Logged

We have a free lottery here at LP, it called the prediction board.  Any one can participate and the prizes are bragging rights.  Once you do well here, you are prepared to go out to the real world, spend a little money, play a real lottery and win some money and more bragging rights.

If you are good, then you can go to the top of the top predictors list, kinda like the hall of fame idea that EZmoney wants in another thread.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking