Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anyone tried this? Ball weights to the last decimal digit...

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: June 3, 2008, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone tried this before? I don't think no one has...Has anyone check for the weights of each lotto balls to the last decimal digit...I know that by standards all lotto balls of a particular lottery game have to weight the same...I know that....But what i am saying is: NOT ALL BALLS ARE GOING TO WEIGH THE SAME TO THE LAST DECIMAL DIGIT...Specially if you have a very sensitive weighing system....

For example, let's put this example of the sake of argument...I don't know how much each of the Powerball balls weigh but for the sake of argument we are going to say that they weigh 1 pound..

now ball 10 may weigh 1 pound and so do ball 16 and 17, etc, etc,....But if you use a very sensitive weighing scales, like the way they do in chemistry (i remember it from my chemistry class)...you will notice that balls 10 may weigh: 1.003439 pounds while ball number 16 may weigh: 1.003614 and ball number 17 may weigh: 1.003582....

Notice that the last 3 ending digits of each lotto ball is different, they all weigh 1.003xxx but the last 3 ending digits denoted as "xxx" do not weight the same or are not the same...Well that's what i mean....

If you use a very, very sensitive scale to weigh all possible lotto balls you will notice that each ball may have the same weigh number to the first 3 or 4 digits but after that it will be different...And i am wondering could this SUBTLE, BECAUSE IS SUBTLE, but could this subtle difference account for patterns on the lotto...I am talking on Powerball and all lotteries, that's assuming that they use the same balls which i don't know...I do know that they use different machines but i don't know if they use different balls, and even if they did, if you KNEW THE WEIGHING DECIMAL NUMBER OF EACH LOTTO BALL TO THE ENDING DIGITS, There might be a chance you could come out ahead...

What i am basically saying? That all balls CAN NOT have the same weight number to the last decimal ending digit....This is a phenomenon that occurs EVERYTIME in nature and manufacturing...I think they call it in manufacturing the "ACCEPTABLE STANDARD WEIGHT" or something of that nature...Example...Every can of soup in the supermarket may say that it weights 1.38 pounds (or whatever) but if you use a sensitivity scale that weighs to the last decimal or weighs to 8 decimals, you will notice that the 8 strings of decimals of each can of soup is going to be different...

And i am sure that maybe there could be a pattern in such differences because the audit company i bet they only check for "OVERALL RANDOMNESS" i don't think they check for "INDIVIDUAL BALL RANDOMNESS" and after all why should they if all balls weight the same to acceptable standards...Not only that but even if they did check for individual randomness of each ball, they will not check for each powerball drawing or for thousands of drawings...And they don't have your "EYEBALLS/KNOWLEDGE" nor do they have every lotto system available out there either....

Has anyone thought of this....Has anyone ever researched this?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10391 Posts
    Posted: June 4, 2008, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Pumpi

Ever since this haooened, lotteries are super aware of ball weight, paint on the balls, etc...:

From Yahoo answers, Are Lotteries Rigged?:

n 1980, the host of the Pennsylvania lottery drawing, Nick Perry andseven others participated in a plot to rig the Daily Number,colloquially known as the "Triple Six Fix."

On the night of April 24, 1980 the number "666" was drawn and a handfulof players came forward to claim $1.8 million of the then record $3.5million pay-out.

Lottery authorities and local bookmakers became suspicious after wordon the street came out that the game was fixed. Tickets sales showed aheavy bias towards tickets purchased containing all combinations of 4sand 6s.

The lottery was fixed by Perry and Fred Luman, who managed to switchthe normal ping pong balls with ones weighted with latex paint for allnumbers except 4 and 6. Later viewing of the drawing tapes by the FBIconclusively showed that only the numbers 4 and 6 were light enough toenter the tube to be drawn.

Perry, in conjunction with Peter Margos, Jack Margos, Jerry Hammer and5 other men were either convicted or entered plea-bargains for their involvement.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8394 Posts
      Posted: June 4, 2008, 12:57 am - IP Logged

Go to this site http://www.msla.state.md.us/  click on the Lil red TV that says on demand scroll to the bottom of the page and watch the video. They will show you the machine they use to weigh the balls . All the balls have a parameter of weigh not to deviate more or less than a few tenths of a gram. I have used these machines to weigh other stuff they are very accurate.

benmas's avatar - waveform
        Rhode Island
        United States
        Member #56010
        October 28, 2007
        434 Posts
        Posted: June 4, 2008, 1:27 am - IP Logged

"What i am basically saying? That all balls CAN NOT have the same weight number to the last decimal ending digit....This is a phenomenon that occurs EVERYTIME in nature and manufacturing...I think they call it in manufacturing the "ACCEPTABLE STANDARD WEIGHT" or something of that nature...Example...Every can of soup in the supermarket may say that it weights 1.38 pounds (or whatever) but if you use a sensitivity scale that weighs to the last decimal or weighs to 8 decimals, you will notice that the 8 strings of decimals of each can of soup is going to be different...

And i am sure that maybe there could be a pattern in such differences because the audit company i bet they only check for "OVERALL RANDOMNESS" i don't think they check for "INDIVIDUAL BALL RANDOMNESS" and after all why should they if all balls weight the same to acceptable standards...Not only that but even if they did check for individual randomness of each ball, they will not check for each powerball drawing or for thousands of drawings...And they don't have your "EYEBALLS/KNOWLEDGE" nor do they have every lotto system available out there either....

Has anyone thought of this....Has anyone ever researched this?"

---------------------------------------

yeah people have thought of this before but nothing has come out of it and nothing much will...

ok balls may not be all "precisely" the same weight or size but they are surely within a strict tolerance range of measurement ..just an example: 12.375grams +or-0.125g which means a ball can weigh anywhere from 12.250g to 12.500g.....similar deal with the size...(this was just an example things may be even more precise)

...the point is they make them very close as so it doesn't make any practical difference(if you measure to 8 decimals accuracy i guarantee you that it will not make a difference)..anyway the tolerances for lotto balls are far more strict than the weights for a can of soup at the supermarket....

even if they were not you still don't know what balls are more or less..they don't give you that information...even if you put one ball that weighs less than others, there are 55 other balls bouncing around and its is not a guarantee that that particular ball will surely come out because it is slightly lighter...they also change machines and ball sets to make it even harder...

so the conclusion for me is that we dont know and we never will find out in advance..no one will tell you or me that they will use this ball set and let us measure individual balls so that we know that ball x deviates this much from normal...i still beleive that even if somehow you knew the weights and sizes the way they bounce around is so crazy there are no guarantees..

Honduras
          Member #20982
          August 29, 2005
          4715 Posts
          Posted: June 4, 2008, 1:50 am - IP Logged

".....became suspicious after word on the street came out that the game was fixed...."

That's got to be the craziest thing i've heard...WHO in their right mind, will tell the state lottery, that one of their game is rigged to their disadvantage?

It doesn't make sense such a story, but yeah i heard of the story before...Thanks Cointoss any way....

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: June 4, 2008, 2:34 am - IP Logged

Why yes, I HAVE researched this, but not in the manner of which you speak.

I HAVE tracked very carefully all Powerball drawings - including all test games - for over two years, and I can tell you with absolute certainty there is no one or two or three 'certain numbers' that hit more often than others ALL the time WHEN a particular ballset or ball machine is in use.

I thought of this a long time ago, others have wondered, I researched it, and I have the charts to prove it.

Pumpi, as you and I have discussed ad nauseum a year ago, you still have to counterbalance all of your thoughts with variances in temperature of the ball machine chamber, temperature of each ball (maybe one end of where they are sitting while 'at rest' is warmer than the other end), variances in the compressor motor air pressure, variances in electrical current to the compressor, etc. and that's just a few things that can affect what may or may not happen - but I prefer to call it 'randomness'.

benmas's avatar - waveform
              Rhode Island
              United States
              Member #56010
              October 28, 2007
              434 Posts
              Posted: June 4, 2008, 2:54 am - IP Logged

i read far too many posts where people focus too much on what specific balls that will come out next draw...i have not read much about general trends like: next draw will probably be high balls twentys and up because that has not come up in a while and the stats average say it should come out in about 10 draws or so...or next draw should be mostly or skip 30s etc....if you think in general terms it is easier to get a feel for the draws...then you can narrow down from there..i think the other way around to talk about when #1 will come out it is too narrow doesn't give you a feel...

i have a feeling that either next draw or very soon after we will see a draw that will start with some balls in twentys and up from there...smth like: 20-25-29-37-46 or 21-23-35-42-48 or even 23-27-31-45-51..it has been a while for this trend (since early february)...of course i dont know what specific balls but we had a high ball draw 33 · 40 · 41 · 51 · 52   and a low ball draw 03 · 09 · 14 · 17 · 25  recently so maybe we'll see another mid to high one very soon...

Honduras
                Member #20982
                August 29, 2005
                4715 Posts
                Posted: June 4, 2008, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

I bet the audit company didn't know this, but if a couple of balls weighs 2.00323 grams and the rest weigh 2.00444  grams then the balls that weigh 2.00323 are going to move a subtly faster way (i am talking speed) but in miliseconds...In seconds you will not see a difference but in miliseconds with a chronometer, you might see the difference, which brings me to the next topic...

In miliseconds not all balls are going to move the same speed (well i depends on the dimensions of the machine, but not all balls are going to move in the same speed chronometrically/miliseconds wise, they may move the same speed in seconds but not in miliseconds...Is kind of like swimmers, swimmers in Global competitions (olympics), they all don't move the same speed and none of them, NONE OF THEM finish with the same milisecond numbers. Is very seldom to see that....

Well the same scenario applies to lotto balls weights...And remember, please remember this: A LOTTO BALL BEEN A FRACTION OF A SECOND OR MILISECOND EARLIER IN SPEED can change the entire structure of collisions causing a different outcome...Just for been 1 fraction of a second earlier than expected in speed....

New Mexico
                  United States
                  Member #58526
                  February 18, 2008
                  683 Posts
                  Posted: June 4, 2008, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

From the Texas Lottery website:

"The ball sets are weighed in accordance with procedures and a planned schedule. The Independent Accounting Firm observes and certifies the internal weighing of ball sets. Each ball must meet very strict weight guidelines: The weight of each Ping Pong style ball must fall within +/- 0.095 grams of the average weight of the ball set. The weight of each natural-rubber ball must fall within +/- 1 gram of the average weight of the ball set."

So, yeah, people have obviously thought about it and it is checked, rechecked, logged, etc...............

JAP69's avatar - alas
                    South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #6
                    November 4, 2001
                    8797 Posts
                    Posted: June 4, 2008, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

What about the exterior texture of the balls. I do not think that all the balls have the same surface texture if you put them under a microscope.

Magnify something to a hgh degree and see what the results are.

Oo'Ka

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7344 Posts
                      Posted: June 4, 2008, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

I bet the audit company didn't know this, but if a couple of balls weighs 2.00323 grams and the rest weigh 2.00444  grams then the balls that weigh 2.00323 are going to move a subtly faster way (i am talking speed) but in miliseconds...In seconds you will not see a difference but in miliseconds with a chronometer, you might see the difference, which brings me to the next topic...

In miliseconds not all balls are going to move the same speed (well i depends on the dimensions of the machine, but not all balls are going to move in the same speed chronometrically/miliseconds wise, they may move the same speed in seconds but not in miliseconds...Is kind of like swimmers, swimmers in Global competitions (olympics), they all don't move the same speed and none of them, NONE OF THEM finish with the same milisecond numbers. Is very seldom to see that....

Well the same scenario applies to lotto balls weights...And remember, please remember this: A LOTTO BALL BEEN A FRACTION OF A SECOND OR MILISECOND EARLIER IN SPEED can change the entire structure of collisions causing a different outcome...Just for been 1 fraction of a second earlier than expected in speed....

Bowling ball manufacturers have develop lower weight bowling balls with less deflection when they hit the pins. The idea is so bowlers can switch from a 16 pound ball to a 15 or 14 pound ball without a huge reduction in pin carry. I doubt they could even measure the difference of two balls weighing 15 pounds, 15 ounces if the difference is to the eighth decimal point.

Maybe the lotteries should replace the ping pong balls with bowling balls to eliminate any ideas of a conspiracy to rig the drawings.